UVI Complete toy museum or alternatives?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Acoustic Toy Museum Complete Toy Museum Electric Toy Museum

At that price, I would rather pick up some cheap old toys at garage sales and sample them myself. Which I did.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:At that price, I would rather pick up some cheap old toys at garage sales and sample them myself. Which I did.
And how many money could you have earned if you had used the time on working getting paid instead of finding old toys and sample them?

Hans25 wrote:And how many money could you have earned if you had used the time on working getting paid instead of finding old toys and sample them?
Mucho monies saved ?

E = MC2

deastman wrote:At that price, I would rather pick up some cheap old toys at garage sales and sample them myself. Which I did.
Considering CTM contains 300 sampled toys, that's quite a lot of garage sales. :D
And some of those date back to the 30s and 40s, which would be quite a struggle to find.

Besides, I don't even have a mic and audio interface at the moment.

You should consider making a Kontakt instrument from your samples and sell them.

First of all, I'm not likely to use all 300 of those toys in the collection.

Second, I have no interest in commercializing my personal samples, or my music for that matter. I have a day job which pays well enough and is creatively rewarding that I don't need to concern myself with turning the rest of my life into a commodity.

I find it fun and creatively rewarding to do things like playing an old toy keyboard into my eurorack modular and some stomp boxes, sampling the results and making a Kontakt instrument.

It's pretty cool that CTM contains old toys dating back to the 30's, no argument there. I just think I'd prefer a more hands on process. Its something I encourage, whether or not you also buy CTM.

I see where you are coming from. As mentioned earlier, I'd be happy if I got 100 instruments for 1/3 of the price, but that's not an option.

If you want to sample toy keyboards - cool. I'm just a composer, and like to get things done ASAP as I don't have a lot of time for composing - 10-15 hours a week. I like to finish tunes, and the quicker I can get the sounds I need, the better. Horses for courses and all that.

Hans25 wrote:
Daags wrote:There's three 'toy museum' products ..... Acoustic Toys, Electronic Toys, and the Complete collection.

are you sure you got the Complete collection for $116 ?

because if memory serves me correctly, the black friday sale price for ~$116 was only for either the acoustic or electronic, not the complete collection.

I'd be happy to be wrong about this though.
Sorry I didn't remember correctly. It was $166.99 for CTM but still a good deal and it WAS Complete Toy Museum. Image

ok, good to know, thanks.

where is that image from, btw ?

Armadillo wrote:If you want to sample toy keyboards - cool. I'm just a composer, and like to get things done ASAP as I don't have a lot of time for composing - 10-15 hours a week. I like to finish tunes, and the quicker I can get the sounds I need, the better. Horses for courses and all that.
And I could stand to take a few notes from your playbook. I'd be in heaven if I got 10 hours a week!

Just a note from the freebie loving guy, there are tons of free 'toys' out there. Toy pianos, speak and spells, melodicas and more. Some places give away these types of things to promo themselves while others found them at garage sales and sampled them.

Bigcat: I like freebies, but to be honest I find most of them sub par when it comes to samples, which is understandable as they are free.
I would rather eg. pay $100 for quality piano that has round robin samples, 10 x velocities etc. than have a free one, with just 1 sample on each key.

I do have toy pianos and melodicas etc. But I don't have musical chairs, hammer bells, kids drum set, rooster whistle, moo box and 97 toy keyboards.

As I mentioned earlier I quite like Pluggotec Toyboy - dead cheap and a fair amount of content, but nowhere comparable to CTM.
And I don't really want to download 30 toys from 30 devs - and still only have a 10th of the CTM content.
Precisionsound for example have 4 x toy collections. But buy those and you've already spent $100, and you end up with only 10-12 instruments. So, in comparison, CTM is a bit of a bargain :D

Deastman: sorry to hear you don't have much time. It can be really frustrating when you want to make some tunes.

Daags wrote:ok, good to know, thanks.

Guess who?? The good old Uncle!

Armadillo wrote:Bigcat: I like freebies, but to be honest I find most of them sub par when it comes to samples, which is understandable as they are free.
I would rather eg. pay $100 for quality piano that has round robin samples, 10 x velocities etc. than have a free one, with just 1 sample on each key.
If I should make a demo - what kind of "walk through" would you prefer? I don't have the time to make a full track but I can make a loop with different instruments - or I can go through each of the instrument pressing some notes so you can hear the sound of the instruments.

What kind of open source video capture / recorder would be the easiest one to use?

If you feel like making a walkthrough I'd be perfectly happy with just an mp3 where you go through 20-30 instruments, with ideally 1/2 from both acoustic and electric. :)

Hans25 wrote:
Daags wrote:ok, good to know, thanks.

Guess who?? The good old Uncle!
Uncle ... as in Uncle E ? ... that's Jrrshop ... ya ?

Daags wrote:Uncle ... as in Uncle E ? ... that's Jrrshop ... ya ?
oui monsieur

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”