Waves 9.x Categorisation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Excuse the x as I'm not entirely sure what the latest version is that I have.

Ideally I categorise my plugins via developer. To keep this clean I only like to have a handful of developers, and therefore only a handful of master folders. To this end I spend considerable time organising everything and hiding VST3 plugs because annoyingly they go where they want. Grrr!

Anyway, the new Waves intaller doesn't allow me to choose a folder and files them under their respective function. Dynamics, EQ etc.

While I can absolutely see the logic in this organisation, it's not what I want.

Can I override this any way?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

:dog:

Actually I guess the new versions are VST3 only and I'm sh!t outta luck here.

What DAW do you use?
Cubase allows you to "Sort by Vendor" in the VST Preferences dialog, whilst v8 allows you to create custom lists, as long or short as you like, with as many folders as you like.
This is the extent of my knowledge. :)

Ayorinde wrote:What DAW do you use?
Cubase allows you to "Sort by Vendor" in the VST Preferences dialog, whilst v8 allows you to create custom lists, as long or short as you like, with as many folders as you like.
This is the extent of my knowledge. :)
It what? Dude where were you 10 years ago :(

Currently on Cubase 4.5 but a move to 7 or 8 is imminent. You're telling me I can sort by vendor? D'oh!

If so, that changes everything. Will start using VST3 now.

Thx 8)

Mushy Mushy wrote::dog:

Not exactly sure it that is what you talk about but if both the VST2 and VST3 of the Waves plugin is installed the host will use the VST3 and skip the VST2. For the few Waves plugins i got i found this in Cubase and Studio One.
It works this way for plugins from most developers except some Waldorf plugins wher you could use both VST2 and VST3 in one host.
Anyway if you delete the Wavesshell VST3 plugin Cubase and Studio One art showing the VST2 plugins instaed of VST3.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I think it was Sonar and StudioOne that have an option whether to hide VST2 version of same plugin if VST3 exist - so VST2 could be available if you want.

But a strong recommendation from Waves is not to mix VST2 and VST3 of their plugins in the same project. Some gui issues arise.

Since VST3 allows category as well as subcategory built in - it may be up to vendor to decide.
But dawmakers could allow you to build your own categories like Sonar plugin manager do.

Reaper has own categories, but is not VST3 yet. But those categories, I had wiped out suddenly in between doing scans - but it might be fixed by now.

Ingonator wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote::dog:

Not exactly sure it that is what you talk about but if both the VST2 and VST3 of the Waves plugin is installed the host will use the VST3 and skip the VST2. For the few Waves plugins i got i found this in Cubase and Studio One.
It works this way for plugins from most developers except some Waldorf plugins wher you could use both VST2 and VST3 in one host.
Anyway if you delete the Wavesshell VST3 plugin Cubase and Studio One art showing the VST2 plugins instaed of VST3.
Oh very interesting. The confusing part is though I don't recall ever installing the VST3 versions. I always choose no if given the option.

I will see if I can find the VST3 shell and delete it as you suggest.

Cubase 8 allows you to create multiple plugin lists, with your own ordering in your own folder structure (or without any folder structure, if you do desire.)

Return to “Effects”