Anyone using Ableton with hardware synths? Midi clock out issue.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have just started a new project for which I intend to use hardware synths only.

However Live doesn't seem to be sending out midi clock. I have tried External Instruments and the track outputs and in neither case does it work.

I have verfified this using MidiOx to see if clock is sent and it isn't.

Any ideas anyone?

Using 9.2, Win 32bit.
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

Have you checked clock is turned on in the midi preferences panel? Each midi output should have the ability to send clock but you need to turn it on. It's off by default.

Tony

I have sync turned on in Live's preferences.
I have tested with Reaper and the synths respond to midi clock. Tonight I will have another try. It must be a setting somewhere but I cant find it.

Just had a similar issue recently when i wanted to use the Arpeggiator in my Waldorf Pulse 2 while connected in Live 9.2.

First thing was that i had to switch on "Sync" at the Pulse 2 output in the preferences which you already seem to be aware of for your synth based on your comment above.

Second is that the MIDI clock is only sent when you start playback (or record which starts playback too) in the host (same in other hosts too). Clock only seems to be semnt when doing playback or recording.
Maybe sounds stupid to mention this but sometimes people (including myself...) seem to forget this... :)

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

In addition to the above tips, you may not have set up the sync type in Live's prefs.

See here for detailed explanation for set up:
https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... live-midi/

It's a real PITA with Live but it does work once you get it set up correctly. :tu:

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

@Ingo - I have Live running.

@dsan - I have tried song and pattern.

Off to have another 10 minutes with it now.

Not changed any settings from yesterday and all working now. I had rebooted yesterday and it had made no difference.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

It' works, but is not very precise, lots of jitter...
And when you try to sync two instances of live it's terrible, very bad midi clock timings.
Same crap with an external sequence synchronized by live midi clock triggering synth sounds with delay fx...
And that even if you followed the synchonizing live-midi instructions :
https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... live-midi/
Seriously if you need precise midiclock timing use something else. I've spent so much time tryng to make it work for A live dance show, at the end I've decided to use sensomusic usine for that and solved my problems.
Dont get me wrong I love Ableton Live and is my DAW of choice, 99 % of my projects are composed and played with live9.
Good luck!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”