This is My Ultimate Wish for Tracktion

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:
klangbastler wrote:this all is already sounding pretty complicated to deal with, without getting used to it and knowledge about dropdownmenus and so on ... :?
Shouldnt do. We already have loop recording, we already have a view which shows us takes, and those takes can be split to separate new tracks. The only thing needing added to replicate what POLAR seems to do is as TSC seemed to suggest earlier; a slight change in which takes get muted or played.

Strictly speaking, I'd have thought there were only a couple of commonly used combinations of mute/play behaviour (regular looping is mute everything except the current take, the basic POLAR type looping seems to play everything but mute the previous take), but I suggested what I did because that would cover all possible variations anyone might ever ask for. Many are probably redundant, it could easily be simplified. Maybe all it needs is a switch between 'mute all previous takes' and 'mute last take only', or something similar, Im not sure, I hadnt worked out what might be useful to other people.

The UI Im suggesting for muting/playing takes I think makes sense, though, because its based around something we're already familiar with; mutes and solos. And I also think that being able to manually choose to preview more than one take at a time from the stack of takes might be useful in other circumstances (and if that happens, then maintaining the mute/solo state when unpacking the takes is only sane.)
that's why i believe a dedicated dialog like in the DP example rally makes sense. things have to be easy and obvious to stay creative and not get caught in dealing with functions of the daw.
But its only a hairsbreadth away from existing DAW functionality, ie loop recording. Making it a special case is what's not easy or obvious. Making them both different variations of the same slightly extended functionality is easier and obviouser(*)... Loop-recorded takes becomes slightly more like tracks (because they're already nearly there, albeit optionally) by making them display like tracks by default, and adding mutes and solos to them, and there's a little bit more control over which takes get automatically muted/solo'd and which dont when the loop restarts. That's it.

(*) but with worser grammar.
the more i think about it, the more i like your approach to just extend what we already have in tracktion.
and i still see the beauty of the simplicity of a dedicated looprecording interface. :ud:

but it's true, that tracktion is already almost there with looprecording and its takemanagement. it just needs to be brought a little further.
so this probably makes more sense, then to develop another interface.

now the idea is out, let's see what TSC will bring to the table :)

TSC wrote:Super easy - we can add an option to listen to previous takes in loop record - will need a bit of thought about how to do it elegantly but I am sure we can figure it out in no time. Quite why DP chose to do this in a completely separate plugin view seems very odd to me - why take the process out of the context of your edit?!
Just curious if you think it might be possible to implement this with an option to not have to set loop points before-hand, i.e, the first pass automatically sets the the end-loop point when you punch out the first time.
Not having to predetermine length before I begin laying down an idea is for me, crucial.

i like the idea of having an option that sets the recording looplength (I/O markers) automatically after you press the spacebar for example!

so basically this would be:
- switch on looprecording plus the option "set record-looplength automatically"
- you start recording somewhere in the project on one or several tracks (no I or O marker set at this time!)
- pressing the spacebar on the keyboard automatically loops through the already recorded length, until you press it again, then stops
- additionally there could be an option if new takes are automatically displayed while recording or not

i really like the idea of this feature more and more :)
hope this will make it into tracktion!

I've just started playing with a loop pedal with guitars, having assumed it would be the same as loop recording in a DAW, and it so isn't. The step on pedal to start, step on pedal again to stop, and set the length of the loop "on the fly", as you're mucking around, is definitely a massive part of the appeal. Really simple thing, but makes such a big difference to it being "fun"

So +1 for the first loop through setting the start and end loop points

That's about all I got on this ... ;)
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

secretkillerofnames wrote:I downloaded the DP9 demo and tried it out. The main feature of POLAR that seems unique is that you can export selected takes to individual tracks. That would definitely be useful to me. I can't see myself using DP9 though as it seems so far away from the DAW paradigm i'm used to that, aside from the POLAR thing, i've no idea where to even start with it.
This funtionality already exists in Tracktion. Set an in and out marker, turn loop on, record a few loops, hit stop, then hit the + symbol on the loops, and choose "Unpack to new tracks"

Although, now I look at it again, you can't just unpack the tracks you select, it does all of them ... hmmm
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Return to “Tracktion”