Choir recommendation...

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know that this has been discussed here somewhat. I have read comparisons.

What I need are some solid opinions... I need a good generic choir. I want some word or phrase building. I would like something that might offer a few soloist options. There are several options I had...that fit my budget.

Voxos ($500), Olympus (Full, $550), and EWQL (which can be had for $250) all come to mind. Is there something I am missing, new, just hit the market, etc. that I should consider.

I want bang for the buck and great sounding all together. I will likely make the final decision within a day or two, so answers are welcomed!!!

I've got the cheap editions of Olympus and EWQL Choirs and if I had the cash to upgrade just one of them I'd go for the EWQL.

They sound different, but I wouldn't say one sounded very much better than the other, unless you wanted an accapella choir - then the EWQL sounds a little richer, which is why I prefer it.

The WordBuilder in EWQL does require a lot of work to get decent, understandable results, including learning a new language, but I think it's worth the effort.

Some people have complained about the Play engine - I think there's a current thread about compatibility issues with Win 8 - I'm sticking with Win 7 for my "studio", so that's not an issue for me. The mixer in Play is excellent, the preset browser is better than Kontakt's, the virtual keyboard is better.

EWQL comes with a boys choir and boy soloist.

EWQL wins!

Hi TheJonsolo

You might also want to consider our Choral bundle at www.virharmonic.com. It has full SATB Choir, SATB Soloists and Boys Choir including young men section and an amazing treble soloist

It comes with full wordbuilding even for the soloists which is very easy to use and it runs on the free UVI Workstation. If you have any questions don't hesitate to drop us a line.

Virharmonic

8Dio has Requiem and they have a new choir library comig up, Lacrimosa Epic Choir. 8Dio is one of my favorite developers and professionals endorse it too.

Bela D Media I believe has affordable choir-libraries, mostly soloists. I've heard many good things about them.

I've been looking to get one of Virharmonic's libraries, because the demos sound amazing and unique. Virharmonic's Violin freebie has great sonic quality and their choir-libraries sound good and the choirs are from Prague, so that has the advantage over the standard Hollywood choirs of EWQL; you don't risk your track sounding generic. Though you said you need a generic choir, it doesn't have to sound generic? :wink:

My suggestion: 8Dio Requiem/Lacrimosa, or any Virharmonic Choir :tu:

EWQL Choirs don't have true legato, just to put things into perspective. Others mostly do.

Thank you for the responses. I was really looking for an Epic type choir...and I went with Lacrimosa...will be out tomorrow.

I have the Virharmonic violin freebie, it does have a good sound. I think I will consider the choir bundle for the Fall. The soloists sound amazing and I will have a need for that then. Thanks for the recommendation. It will be a good one when I get it.

I cannot bring myself to chance EWQL especially given the amount of negative feedback here.

Again, thank you all.

Good choice. I've had EWQL Choirs for a few years now and I absolutely hate the word builder function. I can count the amount of times I've used it on one hand. I just checked out one of the videos for Lacrimosa briefly and the user interface is nicely designed plus it sounds great.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”