Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I too like the concept of the 7 string guitar but not the tone. With one exception. Matt Raines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_41KmAPx1hE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tfIefCC0Vo
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

getting a G&L Legacy -- tight!

Xiangqi wrote:getting a G&L Legacy -- tight!
Sweet. G&L's were always too big for me but I loved the tone on them all the same.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike, you're right; now that it has arrived, it's a bit bigger than my ibanez. if memory serves (and is not failing), it does remind me of the g&l sc-1 i used to have. it should be a blast to play through an amp and such.

one of the reasons i bought it, was both reputation, and past experience with the non-locking tremelo. locking tremelos have always been a bit of a bugbear. these g&l tremelos stay in tune nicely.

also, apparently these pickups were designed from original diagrams of leo fender. and supposedly the treble/bass knobs are akin to high/low shelves.

gotta admit; for my money, even the lowest-cost ibanez have the best-playing necks. ymmv

couldn't resist adding a new ibanez rg 6003fm:

mine's more of a 'midnight blue' though.

picked it up at the local guitar center, along with a marshall amplifier. wow, with the g&l, that's around $1500 on gas in the past couple of weeks. more money than i should be spending, but wow, i'm set for life with guitars.

Gorgeous! Install a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck and you'll have my Ibanez.

This is for sale in Europe on ebay, it's new..but I suspect it sounds rather crap. you also need about 2500 european moneys.
ImageImage
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Staggeringly beautiful.
anyone have a spare 20K USD?

I've recently been fascinated by the vintage market. Collectors lifestyles must be downgrading. I've seen huge price drops on what should be much higher priced instruments.

tapper mike wrote:I've recently been fascinated by the vintage market. Collectors lifestyles must be downgrading. I've seen huge price drops on what should be much higher priced instruments.
Do you think that all of the big boys doing massive runs of their custom shop re-issues is at least partially responsible? You're still going to pay collector prices for a Buddy Holly played 58 strat. But maybe not just a good condition 58 anymore.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

My interest comes from the fusion of nature, art and technology. It doesn't come from whoever insinuated their DNA into the timber.

werp wrote:My interest comes from the fusion of nature, art and technology. It doesn't come from whoever insinuated their DNA into the timber.
I wasn't really commenting on what is/isn't a good reason to collect. I was more commenting on a possible cause/effect. If you are a collector based on the type of instrument, this is a good time.

I have a 57' strat. I would never sell it as it has "family" history. But, 50's strat value has gone down over the last few years, with the exception of the Artist owned variety which have exploded in price. The only reason I could think this would happen is the number of quality alternatives.

I know that I don't care when it was built personally. I just want a particular sound pallet. In general Amps and Guitars are built much more consistently these days, and the custom shops can spend the time and R&D to recreate particular pickup winds, countless neck profiles, torified bodies and other "spec" components.

My thought is that the glut of high quality re-issues has dimmed the vintage market. I could be totally wrong. But, I've wondered the same thing you brought up.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
werp wrote:My interest comes from the fusion of nature, art and technology. It doesn't come from whoever insinuated their DNA into the timber.
I wasn't really commenting on what is/isn't a good reason to collect. I was more commenting on a possible cause/effect. If you are a collector based on the type of instrument, this is a good time.

I have a 57' strat. I would never sell it as it has "family" history. But, 50's strat value has gone down over the last few years, with the exception of the Artist owned variety which have exploded in price. The only reason I could think this would happen is the number of quality alternatives.

I know that I don't care when it was built personally. I just want a particular sound pallet. In general Amps and Guitars are built much more consistently these days, and the custom shops can spend the time and R&D to recreate particular pickup winds, countless neck profiles, torified bodies and other "spec" components.

My thought is that the glut of high quality re-issues has dimmed the vintage market. I could be totally wrong. But, I've wondered the same thing you brought up.
I wasn't aiming anything at you SJ. I typed a bunch of other stuff that explained what I was on about and scored an SQL error when I submitted...Can't remember what I was on about enough to retype it...

werp wrote:I wasn't aiming anything at you SJ. I typed a bunch of other stuff that explained what I was on about and scored an SQL error when I submitted...Can't remember what I was on about enough to retype it...
lol .. no problem man.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”