Patchwork 1.7 delay compensation in cubase 8

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When using patchwork 1.7 in cubase 8.0.10 with a couple of plugins chained, it seems the delay compensation doesn't always work properly, causing the track with patchwork inserted to be out of sync with the rest of the tracks.

Often disabling and then re-enableing patchwork will fix the problem but obviously would be great if I didn't have to do that! Is this a known bug? Any fixes?

Unfortunately this is a known issue with cubase: if the latency of the plug-in changes (which happens when you load plug-ins with latency), it seems that the only way to force cubase read this information again is to deactivate and reactivate the plug-in.

I'm seeing this issue, as well. Other plugin chainers are making this work correctly, so I know it's technically possible to recalculate the PDC on-the-fly.

I guess I purchased too soon! My fault I didn't demo sufficiently.

It's funny, each VST Chainer (I own them all) has its own little deal-breaker for my specific use-case. PatchWork was my last and only hope!

Oh well.

I should add... I'd be okay with having to power cycle after each new addition to the chain, for that working session as it's being developed, but the issue is that PatchWork doesn't save the PDC data with the project!

The PDC values for a given chain shouldn't change from launch to launch. If they do, based on a latency audio interface change, I'd even be okay with that (as it's less frequent).

Reloading a large project and having to manually power cycle 20 PatchWork instances, would be intolerable.

Again, I do know that the other 3 major plugin chainers are doing this correctly in Cubase (I own them and use them).

Thanks for the heads up. We'll check it out and see what we can do for it. As you say, there must be a way to make it work in Cubase too (all other hosts refresh the latency properly).

Thanks so much for looking into this!

I'm delighted to pass along the news that they've fixed the issue.

That has got to be the fastest fix I've seen, ever.

Thank again, Blue Cat Audio!

Wo! Excellent news!

Thumbsup to Bluecat

For anyone having the issue, the new VST version with the fix is currently available as a preview on the private download page (link received by email upon purchase).

Hi guys,

not shure if it's related:

It seems i have a similiar issue with current PW in standalone mode and under Pro Tools (12.1).

I.e. i use pw to VST host access virus and soundtower dsi evolver to drive my external synths by midi keyboard (live in standalone).

In standalone i get a significant (0.2s) delay until i change the buffer value to anything other and save changes. Then there is no delay (heared).

In PT i get early audio from midi notes - depending from the delay compensation of the session it seems. Not shure how far this is related. A clock sample offset to the PW midi interfaces as a workaround seems not affect the delay.

Is there any beta or similiar available to try?

many thanks for any help.

Niels.
---
((d^b))
dettenbach audio
http://dettenbach.com

B+B patches for Novation Peak:
http://dettenbach.com/sounds/synthesize ... ation_peak

Thank you for your message. This is probably unrelated to the delay compensation issue in Cubase (wich by the way has been fixed with the latest release, 1.71).

I am not sure how evolver works, but it seems from what you describe that it will just send the MIDI events right away when received from the host, which explains why you get a delay if using a large buffer size.

About the standalone version, is the external synth delayed, or is it the sound of the hosted VST synth? Which is your typical buffer size?

Hi Guys,

many thanks for the fast answer and sorry for the bit off topic here.

My setup (i have 2 external synths and a Axiom USB MIDI Keyboard and a Mbox pro 3rd):

1.) DSI Evolver: Axiom -> Patchwork (VST Evolver)
-> The VST sends the MIDI from PW to the evolver (dedicated MIDI interface)
-> Evolver plays analog out to my Mbox pro
means: only MIDI is going over Patchwork here

2.) Access Virus TI: Axiom -> Patchwork (VST Access Virus) -> audio out
-> The VST sends MIDI to the Virus synth
-> the synth VST get's audio back and PW send it out over my Mbox
means: MIDI plus audio is going over the VST in Patchwork here. Both goes over a USB link to the synth.

I've tried the standalone version again in detail - got the following results:

While 1.) works perfect and smooth even from a "fresh start" of Patchwork - with 2.) i still have the effect that i have to "change" (or just save again) the audio / MIDI settings of the standalone version. After that i get minimum latency as wanted. If i restart Patchwork i run into the same situation. It "seem's"/"feels" like that any kind of latency comping or similar is recalculated (if such a thing exist in standalone...).

The latency shown in the Patchwork audio/MIDI setup is not changing (somewhere around 10-14ms).

I'm sure that the reason behind that is the base for my latency problems in Pro Tools (to early audio out when recording from DAW MIDI to DAW audio track over PW with the access VST, while i get a bit late audio with my evolved setup (which may be ok as i can set a fix offset here to the evolver MIDI out in PT and use them) - will investigate them further. The only way around is using the access virus synth without the VST, because the MIDI is not usable as long as a VST instance is "connected" to the synth (as possible with the evolves).

Hope this is not to far here for you (sorry for the noise, if so). If you think this is an own topic, you may cut my posts into a new topic if you prefer that (sorry).

many thanks,

Niels.
---
((d^b))
dettenbach audio
http://dettenbach.com

B+B patches for Novation Peak:
http://dettenbach.com/sounds/synthesize ... ation_peak

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”