Did anybody try Signal Free?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, guys.

I been waiting to buy Signal 3 when I can afford it, and now they offer Signal Free version. The annoying reason I did not try it yet was I because initially they said- it would only works 15 minutes at a time. But it looks like now they allow unlimited use for Kontact Full and I just got 4 TB drive... Did anybody try to install and use it? Thanks.
http://outputsounds.com/products/signal ... ignal-Free
Last edited by Astralv on Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

15 minutes of use is the limitation of Kontakt player relating to third-patly libraries. If you want your libraries to be fully compatible with Kontakt player, you must buy special license from NI, but they you probably wouldn't want to give away your products for free.

Thanks for the heads up, I have full Kontakt, will try this out.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Nothing special.
"Everything we hear is an opinion,not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective,not the truth." _ Marcus Aurelius

Same here

I liked how much the macros affected the sound. The selection of presets showed off Signal's unique capabilities. It's not for me (based on the demo).
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Hewitt Huntwork wrote:I liked how much the macros affected the sound. The selection of presets showed off Signal's unique capabilities. It's not for me (based on the demo).
I agree. From the demo, not a lot that is super special (but it IS a demo)... however that being said, Signal is WELL put together. The macros on here are really implemented well. All of the sounds are just plucks, so it doesn't really show off all that's capable (unless you want to tweak more). A couple of synths, pads, & atmospheres in this demo would probably drive some more interest.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

I agree with the general opinion here, I've found it surprisingly ordinary (almost dull). I was expecting a lot more from a library with this much funding. The interface is very cool, and it looks good, but again, I was expecting more from the macro controls. I felt it was more a gimmick than a real useful control. But my main disappointment was the fact that it offered only playable loops. I was expecting instruments, but not loops. I know you can modify the loops but it gave me the impression that it was a loop library rather than a full blown instrument.

I gotta admit, I watched their promos when Signal first came out, and I simply could not tell what the hell it was or why the hell I'd want to use it. What's a "pulse engine?"

I don't use arps, loopers, or step sequencers and those appear to be key features of this thing, so I presume like some others here it's simply "not for me." But I still can't say I even know what it is, and I'm not curious enough to bother downloading a demo of it to find out.

Output's REV on the other hand, made instant sense to me and I did buy it on day 1, and have used it in at least a couple of tracks.

Eagerly downloaded the demo, but was immediately disappointed with the breadth of demo content. A piano, some plucky guitar, and a razzy synth bass? Something like that? They'd do better to provide a wider range of source material -- small octaves, limited key or velocity mappings, etc. After briefly turning the rhythm arpeggiator thing on and off, and twiddling a couple of knobs, I quickly lost interest in doing any more... uh... exploration.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Pretty much. Well made, not my cup o' tea.
Tom Smith
http://tomsmith.bandcamp.com - http://www.filkertom.com - http://www.thefump.com
Win10/64 - I5 3570K - 16 GB RAM - BIAB 2016 - Reaper 5 - Sound Forge Pro 9

UltimateOutsider wrote:I gotta admit, I watched their promos when Signal first came out, and I simply could not tell what the hell it was or why the hell I'd want to use it. What's a "pulse engine?"

I don't use arps, loopers, or step sequencers and those appear to be key features of this thing, so I presume like some others here it's simply "not for me." But I still can't say I even know what it is, and I'm not curious enough to bother downloading a demo of it to find out.

Output's REV on the other hand, made instant sense to me and I did buy it on day 1, and have used it in at least a couple of tracks.
Exactly, I don't know what it is too! Sometimes, too much marketing just make things more confusing! I agree on REV, I wish I could buy it right away. The concept is interesting and unique.

I don't know if anyone else remembers Sega's "Blast Processing"......The Pulse Engine is the 2015 equivalent.
"Everything we hear is an opinion,not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective,not the truth." _ Marcus Aurelius

To be completely honest I haven't even been able to properly test it out due to the high CPU consumption. Not saying it's their fault. My computer sucks..

Until I purchased Kontakt earlier this year, I never really looked deep into some of these instruments because of the 15 minute restriction on the demo. It was a quick fiddle and render to wav before it closed.

Since purchasing, I've had it all on to spend more than 15 minutes at a time with it anyway, but I had a look at this, went through the 23 presets, switching the pulse engines off entirely first and then bringing them back in one by one.

I can see where I'm going and I think I'll get some mileage out of the freebie but as I rarely purchase anything at all, this will be as far as I go with it.

Karma_tba wrote:I don't know if anyone else remembers Sega's "Blast Processing"......The Pulse Engine is the 2015 equivalent.
:D

Signal Free didn't click with me, either. I had been interested in Signal for a while, and eagerly d/led Signal Free, but I checked it out once and never went back to it. I had completely forgotten about it until this thread.
"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." - Carl Jung

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”