Questions regarding assigning send/insert fx to knobs {scripting}

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone and have a nice rest of the day.
It's been a nice trip so far exploring KSP, but i have some more questions, so i created a thread just for a series of questions i will be having {please moderators bare with me!} I tried really hard to figure out the answers my own until Kontakt 5 is starting to crash out! So..

1st.
Regarding engine parameter variables. I know the 3 number refers to insert/send fx etc, the second number defines the slot the fx lives in. What does the 1st number defines? What exactly is the group i am reading everywhere about that number?

2nd.
I have this simple code trying to assign a convolution as a send to a knob. It is set to the first slot. I can listen to the reverb but i hear no changes when i'm turning the knob. Kontakt 5 is not giving any errors. What did i write wrong? {I changed the first number of the engine -the one i don't know what it does- and still nothing}

on init

make_perfview
set_script_title("Attempting send fx knobs")
set_ui_height_px(250)

declare ui_slider $conv(0,1000000)
set_control_par_str(get_ui_id($conv), $CONTROL_PAR_PICTURE, "knob1")
set_control_par(get_ui_id($conv), $CONTROL_PAR_MOUSE_BEHAVIOUR, -1200)
make_persistent ($conv)
move_control_px ($conv,310,80)
end on

on ui_control($conv)
set_engine_par($ENGINE_PAR_IRC_FREQ_LOWPASS_LR,$conv, 0, 0,1)
end on

Where is convolution loaded? The numbers 0,0,1 are probably wrong. The first 0 is definitely wrong, since that's group index, and convolution cannot be loaded as group FX. That should be -1.

Hi, thanks for your answer. The convolution is loaded in the first slot. I changed the first zero to -1 but the result is the same: I can hear the reverb but not the changes of the knob. When i change the knob in the send section, the change is audible, in that case the lowpass of the convolution.

In case of insert FX, the last number must be 1. In case of send FX, the last number MUST be 0. Since you mention send effect, you have the last number wrong.

I'm sure you've checked but... are you sure it's not just that the low pass freq is having little effect on the signal passing though it? Maybe try with another more obvious parameter assigned to the knob

ED: Whaaat? I have read in a tutorial send fx are supposed to be 1, but you are right! I changed it to 0 and its working. Thanks!
Resynth: I made a lot of experimenting, changed a lot of stuff with no result. My ears are checked and i mix on daily basis so i can tell the difference easily. Luckily the solution was found. Thank you resynth.

Which tutorial was that? The KSP Reference is where it's all explained, pretty clearly, in the section about set_engine_par().

It's not from the manual, but from askaudiomag.com 'scripting in Kontakt part 5'.

"The last value ‘generic’ is for targeting Instrument Inserts (0) or Send Inserts (1). Since none of these are applicable we use -1."

It is a very very good tutorial, i enjoyed it and i recommend it for for beginners like me, but it was just that little number they did wrong that cost me the time of half of my day trying to figure it out.

Yep, they're wrong.

Also there's no such thing as "send inserts". They are simply called send effects. Insert effects, send effects, group effects, instrument busses. A tutorial should respect the terminology of the program.

Hello again. I came across a slider of one instrument which, when at zero position, it automatically bypasses the (send) fx.
So they used something like if, else if. Where can i find it in the manual please?

You won't find everything in the manual. Think about it a bit ;)

EvilDragon wrote:You won't find everything in the manual. Think about it a bit ;)
Yeap, i couldn't find anything. In the manual there is a script for bypassing all insert/send effects but not a particular slot.
Also, i know how to use 'if' only with 'on note' statements, learned from Nil's Liberg's tutorial. Do you know where i can read more about how to use 'if' in scripting?

if-else works anywhere really. It's a programming construct. In any case, you just need a bit of math, no need for if-else for bypassing a control. Do a search on VI-Control forum, there's a ton of KSP info there.

Yeap, VI is great for KSP, i use the search button to find answers, however i can't find one for another question i have again..
The amount of movement of a knob, is specified by the 3rd number we write on its value, for instance (-100,100, AND 5).
Is there a way of doing it for sliders as well?

Nope.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”