FREE BRAINSTORMER synth - sad news :(

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BrainStormer

x32 seems to be working with no problems in EnergyXT2 under WINXPSP3 x32. EXCELLENT patch manager system! this is going to motivate patch creation for this synth. :)

update:

initiating MENU> RESCAN BANKS crashes XT2 after i created a new folder called layzer in the demobanks folder and saved a patch in it. it saved the patch ok, though. :)

this is the error before the crash. it happens in savihost too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

The update works now in cubase le ai 7 looks finished to me.

layzer wrote: initiating MENU> RESCAN BANKS crashes XT2 after i created a new folder called layzer in the demobanks folder and saved a patch in it. it saved the patch ok, though. :)

this is the error before the crash. it happens in savihost too.
I can't reproduce the crash on Win 7, does it always crash in this use case?
I just have noticed that "Saving as" in the current category folder does not refresh the preset list.

the very first time it is launched when the box appears to select a patch dir, it starts fine. its only when you go to "rescan banks" under the menu it crashes XT2 and savihost.

can anyone else confirm this in XP x32?
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

xenophobic wrote:I think the developer has stopped working on it he is married now and has a family, so he has no time .
So making the brainstormer, was just one big ploy to lure his girlfriend into marriage :D

And a family, it still takes 9 months to release a kid doesn't it?

It worked for Seth Macfarlane.

Numanoid wrote:
xenophobic wrote:I think the developer has stopped working on it he is married now and has a family, so he has no time .
So making the brainstormer, was just one big ploy to lure his girlfriend into marriage :D

And a family, it still takes 9 months to release a kid doesn't it?
I wouldn't be so sure... Sometimes, you get married and get a family immediately :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

Hi Olivier,

I cannot select the presetfolder. I can select it, but every time it says the folder does not contain bank/categories/presets, and prompts me to select again. After a few tries it says it will load this instance without presetmanager and warns the plugin might be unstable. They are all messages I suppose come from Brainstormer, not my DAW or Windows. No error messages, access violations or crashes, just dialogue going on.

One 'crash': if I leave FL to go into my Windows Explorer (relocating the banks) and then go back to FL, the folder-select dialogue of Brainstormer is unresponsive. I can't click it and my mouse turns into a resize double-arrow shape when hovering over it. Since I cannot get past the dialogue ("You shall not pass!!") I cannot get back to FL and have to close with Taskmanager.

After I have clicked away the select-dialogue twice, FL finally loads the plugin, with an empty and unusable preset manager on top. The load and save commands from the manager's menu don't work, nothing happens when I click them (probably because of the warning it will load without it)

I checked the .cfg file, and there the path I chose was indeed noted, only next time I open Brainstormer it again asks me to locate the presets, with the same result.

I've tried several locations to put the presetbanks (my library on a separate drive, and inside the Brainstormer folder in my VST folder. I also tried re-downloading and replacing it with the newly downloaded presetbanks.

The presetbanks folder is NOT empty though, it contains folders and within them all the .bstp presets, all about 1 kb in size.

I've tried it in FL Studio 11.1, 12.02 and 12.1, all with the same result. I was using only the x86 version and I'm on Windows 7.

The downloaded version was from about 30 minutes before this post :)

Happy to help testing further and to try and locate the problem, but I'm not sure how. It just does not recognise there are presets,categories, bank in the folder.

Regards, Frank
Vocal MC for 21 years straight // http://mc-ub.free-frank.net

Hi Franck,

Many thanks for the detailed report. Someone else reported me that the synth was not able to scan the bank folder too. In his case, it only works when the bank folder is located at the root drive (ie "C:\BrainStormerBanks"). Could you please try this while I'm studying the code on the other side ?

Thanks

Hi Olivier,

YES! Having the banks at root C: works, Brainstormer now sees and loads the presets, all is good. I will have some more time for testing this evening. So at the moment all is working, I'm cycling a bit through the presets.

Out of interest: will we be able to automate preset changes?

A few quick remarks:
- If I create my own folder in the presetfolder, it only shows up (on rescan) if I put it in either Demobanks or Factorybanks, not outside them in the root of the folder (perhaps meant to be like this, just a remark, no bug)
- What is the function of the far-right input window (the one to the right of the preset-selector with the arrows)
- On scan, FL Studio displays Brainstormer's name in it's database as Brainstormer VST3, but in FL's wrapper settings, I see it's listed as VST 2.4

Happy to do some further testing,

regards, Frank

Today I made this with Brainstormer. This is 8x Brainstormer, making all the sounds: lead, bass, drums (kick, snare, hat, clap) special fx. No other instruments/samples. No automation in FL, only modulation in Brainstormer. No patches from the new banks used, all patches are original, created from the init preset and building on that. All created in a few hours and it was a joyride :D Only Effects were added in the mixer, since Brainstormer doesn't have any.

https://soundcloud.com/unbeliever/brainstorm-teaser

On my (low-end) machine ( Core i3 @ 2,93 Ghz, 4 GB Ram, Windows 7 64-bit and FL 12.1.1 (beta 2) in 32-bit) I hit 35%, and that is with quite a few effects on the mixer: Peq2's, Fruity Delay's, Reeverb 2's, a few Maximus, and a few other eq's, compressors and limiters (TB Barricade)

I hope you manage to build on some effects in the final version, although right now I have the freedom to put any effect on it I want, so maybe.. just leave them out... But still... a reverb, delay, eq, chorus...

regards, Frank

Much to my surprise, I must say this thing sounds freakin' awesome :) Seriously - very few times I've felt the need of additional external effects - amazing how crisp and full it can sound just dry ;) It has some sort of glassy sound quality to it and I just love that filter :) Especially liked the brassy sounds and the classic fm type.

As for the GUI, I think the original one is really neat looking, but the current menu slapped on top ruins it :) I'm sure it's just a matter of time 'til getting fixed, but moving the menu in the box where the synth name currently is and that moved to the upper right might look better. Anyway, the original skinner did a very, very good job ;)

Overall, seems to be one of the best (freeware) synths I've heard in quite a while :) Congratz :) Just a notch of polishing (presets included) and this one will make some history :) But as is right now it still sounds and works better than a lot of already fully completed / released synths :)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

7 smiley faces, so you like it then? :D

Yup! Sounds really good! (and another one - ;) ).
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

Mc UB wrote:Hi Olivier,

YES! Having the banks at root C: works, Brainstormer now sees and loads the presets, all is good. I will have some more time for testing this evening. So at the moment all is working, I'm cycling a bit through the presets.
Great ! Anyway I need to find the issue since you should be able to put the bank folder anywhere.. Does it work if you put it at another root (D: , E: ..)?
Mc UB wrote: Out of interest: will we be able to automate preset changes?
Probably not, I don't think it would be a must have feature, while some other improvements probably are.

Mc UB wrote: - If I create my own folder in the presetfolder, it only shows up (on rescan) if I put it in either Demobanks or Factorybanks, not outside them in the root of the folder (perhaps meant to be like this, just a remark, no bug)
The synth will detect bstp files only if they are located in that kind of path : BankFolder\Bank\Category\*.bstp
Mc UB wrote: - What is the function of the far-right input window (the one to the right of the preset-selector with the arrows)
It's dedicated to patch author name. The idea is to have a demo bank with many categories (bass, lead, pad, drums, etc.) where patches I've received are sorted, so you can see who created them by browsing presets. In the current beta version, I've only filled the init patch as I was a bit out of time :)
Mc UB wrote: - On scan, FL Studio displays Brainstormer's name in it's database as Brainstormer VST3, but in FL's wrapper settings, I see it's listed as VST 2.4
Strange thing, I'll take a look at this.

Go to hear a 100% brainstormed extract :tu:

Return to “Instruments”