iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

I did mean more a solution to controlling the range of the LFO, which was always taking the vol down to minimum with my previous setup. Anyway you are right that it'll add volume and mod depth at the same time, so maybe use anther macro to control LFO depth?

[quote="Sampleconstruct"]LOL, I give an izotope about being right or wrong and what does the Mellotron have to do with all of this? Beethoven was deaf in the end and most birds can't swim. :party: :tu:[/quote]

If you can't see my point, I won't try to explain it to you. All I am saying is that things can be musically useful even if they have quirks . . . sometimes the quirks make great things happen.

Why must you be so abrasive?

tdm wrote:
If you can't see my point, I won't try to explain it to you. All I am saying is that things can be musically useful even if they have quirks . . . sometimes the quirks make great things happen.

Why must you be so abrasive?
I totally agree with you, no point in getting into a fight about Iris 2, but we are having a technical discussion here, nobody is getting hurt on the way and you don't have to protect anyone from my posts. I wouldn't be using Iris 2 if I did not think it was a useful instrument. Peace please.

Satch1 wrote:I did mean more a solution to controlling the range of the LFO, which was always taking the vol down to minimum with my previous setup. Anyway you are right that it'll add volume and mod depth at the same time, so maybe use anther macro to control LFO depth?
Well, then we're back to square 1.

Got a $79 upgrade offer from izotope, don't know if i should upgrade.

[quote]. . . nobody is getting hurt on the way and you don't have to protect anyone from my posts.[/quote]

That's not quite true. Satch1 and iZotope can be hurt by your comments. You are a guy that wields a lot of influence around here. When you make absolute statements that something is no good, it can have a negative impact on people . . . and no, I don't work for iZotope, nor do I have a business that has anything to do with any of this.

I'm all for peace, but be fair.

Sampleconstruct wrote:After all that nerdy technical talk I just had to make a fresh Iris 2 patch, so here it is, using a guitar soundscape I played/made last night:

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFy0CPEpsE</span>
Nice scape :tu: inspired me to throw some of my old guitar stems into Iris to get this type of sound.

Side question, please forgive me if it's been covered already, but is there a limit to the length of a sample? Is the sample read dfd or stored in ram?

I am not at my machine right now to test what is being talked about, but intend to see about the macro issue, I haven't programmed them in much, I usually map the individual parameters to a controller.

A dedicated thread for Iris tips would be great, there is just so many ways to go about things.
BC

Battle Cat wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:After all that nerdy technical talk I just had to make a fresh Iris 2 patch, so here it is, using a guitar soundscape I played/made last night:

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFy0CPEpsE</span>
Nice scape :tu: inspired me to throw some of my old guitar stems into Iris to get this type of sound.

Side question, please forgive me if it's been covered already, but is there a limit to the length of a sample? Is the sample read dfd or stored in ram?

I am not at my machine right now to test what is being talked about, but intend to see about the macro issue, I haven't programmed them in much, I usually map the individual parameters to a controller.

A dedicated thread for Iris tips would be great, there is just so many ways to go about things.
Iris doesn't stream, so it's all loaded into RAM. There is no length limitation for samples, but the maximum spectral selection you an make is 1 minute, so I often use longer samples and use 1-minute segments of the same sample in the different oscillators.

This is the Iris 2 thread, so if you have questions, just shoot.
And thank's!

Wow, thanks everyone especially Sampleconstruct for the discussion regarding the current thinking on Iris 2.

At this time, I have decided to not upgrade from Iris 1 to Iris 2 even with the current sale price.

What other spectrogram-related synths remain on the market and viable these days? Alchemy is gone. I seem to remember that there was something from IRCAM... searching.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

@tdm, thanks for your support and concern, but I wasn't hurt by any of Samplconstructs comments. :tu:

@Sampleconstruct, I think I finally understand your exact needs. You want seperate control of osc vol and osc vol LFO depth with 2 macros. You also want the LFO modulation to stay at an even depth when you are changing just the volume macro, and for there to be no sound when it 's at minimum?

If so, then assigning the osc vol macro to mod 3 of the LFO, with full positive depth seems pretty frickin close to me. So you have macro 1 to osc vol, and macro 2 to LFO depth, then macro 1 again to LFO depth slot 3 in Mult mode.

EDIT: Aaah forget it... the peak volume increases when adding the modulation. Close but no cigar!

I see the conundrum now :)

Must be a royal pain in the arse converting your presets.
Last edited by Satch1 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gribs wrote:Wow, thanks everyone especially Sampleconstruct for the discussion regarding the current thinking on Iris 2.

At this time, I have decided to not upgrade from Iris 1 to Iris 2 even with the current sale price.

What other spectrogram-related synths remain on the market and viable these days? Alchemy is gone. I seem to remember that there was something from IRCAM... searching.
The one I was thinking about was GRM Tools 3 Fusion (based on a demo by Simon). It requires ilok... crap.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Gribs wrote:Wow, thanks everyone especially Sampleconstruct for the discussion regarding the current thinking on Iris 2.

Only Harmor unfortunately.

Is there a way within Iris to have it save a copy of all samples used in the current patch to a new location? What is the recommended practice for sample storage in relation to Iris use?

I ask because I moved some of my samples and when loading the patch I had to replace them individually. not so bad as it was just a few, but I could see it being an issue for a larger scale move.
BC

[quote="Battle Cat"]Is there a way within Iris to have it save a copy of all samples used in the current patch to a new location? What is the recommended practice for sample storage in relation to Iris use?

I ask because I moved some of my samples and when loading the patch I had to replace them individually. not so bad as it was just a few, but I could see it being an issue for a larger scale move.[/quote]

As far as I know, the safest thing to do is to "export" the sound (page 18 of the manual). This creates one file that contains both the patch and sample data. If you then "import" that same file (page 17 of the manual), that will create a new folder called Imported. Now that the Imported folder exists, you can just export new sounds directly to the Imported folder for easy loading in the future.

This is all well and good, but the real issue is what happens if Iris 2 is ever updated. Will it erase those files and folders? I have no idea, but I would make sure that any exported files you create are backed up somewhere else.

Other folks may have better info than I have on all of this, as I am pretty new to Iris 2, as well.

Thanks for the info tdm, I guess i should RTWFM.
BC

Return to “Instruments”