Synthedit is NOT dead

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SynthEdit

EDIT: My fault, it seems I'm receiving different replies from the yahoo group mixed together.
I've just read the post by Jeff about the lost code as a reply to a recent rant and almost didn't noticed that he was talking about the code of 1.1.

So Synthedit is NOT dead. The news is that now we know why v.1.1 can't be updated anymore :hihi:

-----------------------

Jeff (SE developer) wrote: HI Guys,

Sorry,

I don't have the ability to build SE 1.1 anymore. After my PC crashed onetime I lost the ability to "rewind" my source code control back to 2009.

From the Yahoo user group. If so is the end of an era...
Last edited by MaxSynths on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Well that's a sorry excuse.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:Well that's a sorry excuse.
Well it could be an excuse, if so I can't blame Jeff though. My impression is that he's constantly under attack for a lot of useless reasons (even these days) while a lot of people should say thanks to a person that is working alone and with almost no profit on a project like SE.

But it could be also the truth... sometimes it just happens. The development of another nice modular environment, Buzz, was killed by a HD crash.

Reminds me about something similar that happened to Jeskola Buzz. Fortunately it's going forward right now :)

It's only SE1.1 source that can not be built anymore, so SE is not dead. SE1.2 is still developed. :wink:
George wrote:Reminds me about something similar that happened to Jeskola Buzz. Fortunately it's going forward right now :)
Yes, I'm using the latest Buzz. :love:

Xenobioz wrote:Yes, I'm using the latest Buzz. :love:
Buzz is lovely. I had a long relationship, more than 10 years maybe, using it before switching to Mac.

SynthEdit is not dead at all. What a strange idea...!

As Xenobioz wrote two posts ago, it is just the source code of the 1.1 version which can't be updated anymore. But it keeps on working perfectly. And Jeff works on the 1.2 version which is already online and works already in 32-bit Windows compilation (it has just to be updated regularly because of bugs, being available but being although still in beta version). The developments for 64-bit and for OSX are still running normally as well as the improvements and debuggings for 32-bit Windows.

I really don't know how MaxSynth has been able to imagine that SynthEdit is dead! Being appearantly a member of the Yahoo! group of developers (that I belong too) he although knows perfectly that SynthEdit is perfectly alive!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

@BlackWinny: as in the EDIT in the original post and the explanation in the group.

It's kinda been slowly dying for a while now with the slow development (not a criticism of Jeff - I'm sure it's a massive project for one man!). But not yet dead, and still has a core bunch of users that are knowledgeable about it.

It is still useable and useful, in it's way. For people who mostly use their own modules especially (I don't...haven't kept up with programming, apart from little bits of VB for work - mostly maintenance), as they can build them for 64bit.

I've been using the 1.2 alpha for a while (still not beta yet from what I can gather) and it's been fine apart from some weirdness with retaining the cable positions if you use the handy cable tidying features (multi-point/curves) - which only happens every now and then, and doesn't change anything sound-wise or structure wise - just how it looks under the hood. Can take a while to set things up neatly though, so it's a bit of a pain when you go into a container and find all your nicely lined up wires have been sent all over the place, and things get a bit wobbly when you want to move sections of modules along with their wires.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

MaxSynths wrote:@BlackWinny: as in the EDIT in the original post and the explanation in the group.
It's much better now.
:D
Because the truth is in fact nothing else than that: the source code of the 1.1 release is simply lost. But it's been a while that it has been used as a start point to begin the 1.2 version.
:party:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Tbh, i was thinking the same. Loss of code is kind of the oldest excuse in coder's land. I don't think anyone who's serious about what he's doing doesn't back up his whole stuff.

chk071 wrote:
Tbh, i was thinking the same. Loss of code is kind of the oldest excuse in coder's land. I don't think anyone who's serious about what he's doing doesn't back up his whole stuff.
GUYS, LADY AND GENTS: v.1.2 is currently under development. That post by Jeff was a reply about the sourcecode of v1.1. I simply misread the posts from the Yahoo group (different threads were mixed together).

So again: Synthedit is not dead, version 1.2 is currently under development and this thread is a consequence of my mistake. I apologize for the false alarm.

ooh dear, this is all my fault...
mea massimo culpa :smack:

this is wot happened: i got a bee in my bonnet about the 1.1 background
workspace colour, and though i've known about it for a long time,
kicked up a fuss upon reading another post, about an adjacent issue,
not being very delicate about it -and regretting later because there
is ongoing development on 1.2 and a lot of support work going into
providing 64bit modules by the community as well, notably recently,
all of which is promising.

but i'm a bit panicked because i'm very comfortable with the excellent,
classic, 1.017 version, have never really got into 1.1, literally because
(i'm a stick in the mud) i'm p*ssed off about staring at white backgrounds
for long periods of time and i can't change to my usual grey. 1.2 is a bit
remote to me at this point, and i hate having to format and start over,
because i lose projects like that. i mean, it's because i really dig 1.017
- and i have a phobia about computer maintenance wasted days/weeks
that goes back to W98.

mztk wrote:ooh dear, this is all my fault...
mea massimo culpa :smack:
:hihi: nice one...
this is wot happened: i got a bee in my bonnet about the 1.1 background
workspace colour, and though i've known about it for a long time,
kicked up a fuss upon reading another post
Oh, we finally found the real culprit! :lol:
(I should have read better... :bang: )

Well, synthedit is definitely not dead, but is very much alive and kicking
Yes, the step forward towards 1.1 was a hard one, but hey, isn't any step towards a new engine hard?
Right now the v1.1 is really steady and Jeff is working on v1.2 for both 32bit and 64bit.
Although things still go a bit slow, as, as mentioned before, it's a one-man's-project and also because some key module developers left the synthedit building (dave haupt, chris kerry etc), it's gaining up speed again with some awesome new coders like Daz and Ainsley (this last name is incorrect I think..but I keep mixing it up with how I first thought it sounded like haha)

Anyways, v1.2 is really great. Though there are some minor bugs which Jeff is working on, it's easy to work around and fix those once you know why, how and where these bugs happen. Also, those are primarily visual bugs that happen in the development situation and don't have anything to do with the actually made vst(i) plugin.
As a human I say: nobis vivendum est!
As a musician I say: nobis musicum essendum est!
As a friend I say: nobis birram bibendum est!

SirSickSik

Return to “Modular Synthesis”