Is the album dead? [New Release]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apparently not. My band, Eat Crepes, just released an album! We had fun with this one, took some risks, and are proud to share it with you. I've posted tracks 1 & 4 here at the music cafe already, to positive response, so if you trust the tastes of your fellow KVRians check it out:
https://eatcrepes.bandcamp.com/album/escrepe-artist
Last edited by nineofkings on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Congrats on the release! I'm listening to it presently and it sounds good!

Awww, we is all growed up now :hihi:
Great stuff. Have a (virtual) beer on me :)
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Good job! Focusing on the tracks I haven't heard before in the first album half:

"Time Dilation" - An excellent slice of cosmic pop longing. The varied beats keep it interesting.

"Hoo Hoo" - A potential hit. It follows a familiar pattern used in a lot of other popular songs. There are some good lyrics here. Why not use one of the other phrases for the title instead of "Hoo Hoo?"

"Eye In the Sky" - Very interesting lyrics but I wish I they were clearer. It seems to be a dispassionate cyber-stalking fantasy. Maybe this podcast was the inspiration?

"Last Plane" - The long piano vox section didn't do much for me but the "shit show" chorus saved it in an amusing way. :)

davidstiles wrote:Congrats on the release! I'm listening to it presently and it sounds good!
Thanks! :tu:
folderol wrote:Awww, we is all growed up now :hihi:
Great stuff. Have a (virtual) beer on me :)
Thank you too :wheee:

Cool, I will check out the tracks. And no, the album is not dead. I love albums.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Frantz wrote:Good job! Focusing on the tracks I haven't heard before in the first album half:

"Time Dilation" - An excellent slice of cosmic pop longing. The varied beats keep it interesting.
Thanks!
Frantz wrote:"Hoo Hoo" - A potential hit. It follows a familiar pattern used in a lot of other popular songs. There are some good lyrics here. Why not use one of the other phrases for the title instead of "Hoo Hoo?"
It was the singer's wish, and he wrote it.
Frantz wrote:"Eye In the Sky" - Very interesting lyrics but I wish I they were clearer. It seems to be a dispassionate cyber-stalking fantasy. Maybe this podcast was the inspiration?
No, I didn't actually know about that podcast. It looks cool. It was more generally inspired by this: Image
Frantz wrote:"Last Plane" - The long piano vox section didn't do much for me but the "shit show" chorus saved it in an amusing way. :)
Yeah, that's a fun one (although sad if you do vibe with the verses). Our first explicit song. :lol:

Althought albums still being released I do think they, unfortunately, belong to an era left behind.

If one look at how music is being distributed and how how it's consumed by the listeners of today it's very obvous that we've moved away from the album as a concept. Today it seems to be much more about single tracks then ever before. See iTunes, Youtube and so on.

In the past single tracks was much more a kind of promotion for teh album. Today they're more a promotion of them self.

In the past albums where reviewed as a whole. As a conepct in witch each and every track played a part. They had a begining, an A and B side , a certian flow and an end. And so, we could read reviews of them albums as a whole rather then about single tracks. So, in a way STG Pepper is something more then Strawberry fields.

I believe less people listen trough whoel albums the way people did in the past. We are more into collecting and listenign to single tracsk in varous playlists.

The presentation of music have changed oru way to consume and, listen and experience music.

Another example of this is how the length of musical pieces have shrinked.

Due to radio and TV playtime we are rarely presented with any longer pieces. This too have affected oru listening habits.

This, of course, is generally speaking and can of course be debated. However I believe this is the general trend we are witnessing.

Jace-BeOS wrote:Cool, I will check out the tracks. And no, the album is not dead. I love albums.
The album is dead. Long live the album.

sfd wrote:The presentation of music have changed oru way to consume and, listen and experience music.
This is true, although the thread title was a bit of a joke to promote an actual album. Thanks for your comments though.

Some cool stuff on there, not at all what I expected. good work.
BC

Battle Cat wrote:Some cool stuff on there, not at all what I expected. good work.
Thank you. We as a band - especially with this album - always kinda toe the line between what's familiar and what's different. Our music is just good ol pop music, but we try to add little details that twist expectations. Unusual combinations of sounds, interesting progressions, futuristic lyrics, things like that. It's about being specific while remaining universal

Hm, yea. I think I walked right into the "trap" alright :-)

It's ok. I'm surprised that didn't happen more, honestly.

Return to “Music Cafe”