Suggestions for my first true synthesizer? Rack with the most hands-on control?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Prophet 08 is fully analogue, the Prophet 12 is newer but with digital oscillators.

Personally I prefer the sound of the older 08 (not just because it's analogue, I'm no purist) and the 12 is considerably more expensive.

If you do look at the 08 then you want the PE edition as the older pot version was prone to encoder failure.

Prototype wrote: Again I say that I am not new to sound design, Im just sick of working in the box. I spend my work day and school day on my ass at the computer and Im just sick of being in front of the screen. I just need something tangible that can give me Omnisphere-par functionality but that I can take out of the office into my room or onto the couch or something, and that can practice on without mouse-clicking my life away. Might sound like a dumb reason to some people to buy I synth but I have trouble getting anything done musically when I cant get comfortable.
What the whaaaatttt?!!!! Making music on an actual instrument? GTFOOH.

j/k - I'm with you, dude. Not a dumb reason to buy a real synth at all. :tu:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Agreed

Workflow and preference is a very underrated component of making music. It's all too easy to focus on specs without remembering what you're actually trying to do.

Prototype wrote:I want to get a hardware VA or modular synth...

For modular I want something like the moog werkstatt except that I can hook up a controller to.

I would like to spend as little as possible but I would spend up to 1500 for the right synth.

Lend me your knowledge!
(I do not know if this might interest you but, as posted in the bargain threads, JRR has the now discontinued Moog Little Phatty at 450 with shipping...while supplies last.)
바보

Prototype wrote:I want to get a hardware VA or modular synth but I don't know what all is out there. I am not new to sound design but I have never played with real hardware, and I feel like I would benefit from having a tangible synthesizer in front of me, that could get me away from my computer for once. But I am unfamiliar with manufacturers and products that are out there. What would you suggest?

I just want something small with the most functionality for my budget. VA or modular I don't care, but if its VA it must be a rack.

For VA I like the Virus Snow and The Nord Rack but I cannot tell which one offers more hands on control.

For modular I want something like the moog werkstatt except that I can hook up a controller to.

I would like to spend as little as possible but I would spend up to 1500 for the right synth.

Lend me your knowledge!
Of all the VA's I've ever bought, the 'keeper' would be a *used* (Access) Virus B (rack-mount or tabletop w/wood sides)-

Not only does it sound good (VA), you get the feeling every time that you put your hands on it that it's a well-built instrument -

They still cost a few bucks (A testament to their quality) but nowhere near your budget.

To summarize: I think that purely from a practical point of view, a used Virus B would be a great place to start (and possibly end - ITB is good, but I get what you're saying) - if you decide afterall that it just isn't your cup of tea for whatever reason(s), you can most likely sell it on ebay for most of what you paid for it.

Prototype wrote:I just need something tangible that can give me Omnisphere-par functionality but that I can take out of the office into my room or onto the couch or something, and that can practice on without mouse-clicking my life away.
this is a very important point people should really consider...

the ms20 is great, but... you'll need to sequence it really, and possibly you will only get the most out of it by sampling its sounds into either your computer or a hardware sampler, to allow for polyphony and layering etc.

anyway, given the 'take out of the office into my room or couch etc' criteria, I'd suggest an Elektron box...any one of them really, but off the top of my head I'd say a Monomachine + ms20 would make a nice combo. a very nice, and fun combo. the monomachine -besides being able to do mono + poly + drum sounds also makes a fine sequencer, which would be ideal for the ms20 mini...which btw you could run through the inputs of the Monomachine as it's also a nice fx box.

might be a smidgen over your $1,500 budget though - if you're buying new.

With 1,5000 you could get a Moog subphatty or even a Voyager RME which sometimes go for that price second hand.
dedication to flying

Thanks again for all responses.

I wish I had known what a big component workflow would be when I started out, I may have just avoided ITB altogether.

Thanks for the heads up on the prophet encoder failure lord

And Golden ive had other people tell me to check out the Virus B but what trusted source would I buy one from?

Daags if I was to record something I would just stay in the office, but i mainly will just be practicing my sound design and performance technique on this thing, away from my cramped desk and eye-straining screen. That being said, i forgot to consider the possibility of sequencing through another piece of analog gear, thanks a bunch for the suggestion i think i will go with that. Would you happen to know off the top of your head if the MS20 offers midi IN for controlling from another source? Im gonna do more research in a bit but i just figured Id ask now.

Rod,

Tucker mentioned i may still be able to get my hands on a little phatty for 450, how would that fare against subphatty?

Prototype wrote:Would you happen to know off the top of your head if the MS20 offers midi IN for controlling from another source? Im gonna do more research in a bit but i just figured Id ask now.
Are you skipping reading my posts?

Prototype wrote:Daags if I was to record something I would just stay in the office,
which is precisely the reason I'm giving a heads-up on what it takes to really get the most out of an ms20, imo. Not to say you can't just use it live as you're planning to... as a very tweakable mono-synth. Just saying you should adjust your expectations to avoid disappointment : )

Prototype wrote:but i mainly will just be practicing my sound design and performance technique on this thing, away from my cramped desk and eye-straining screen. That being said, i forgot to consider the possibility of sequencing through another piece of analog gear, thanks a bunch for the suggestion i think i will go with that. Would you happen to know off the top of your head if the MS20 offers midi IN for controlling from another source? Im gonna do more research in a bit but i just figured Id ask now.
yep - it offers midi in... but just note data. everything else you'll need to tweak live or patch.

Sticking with the Elektron suggestion, you could also look into the Octatrack ... which is their sampling box with built in fx of course (and audio inputs), but is also a great midi sequencer. Would make a very nice combo with the ms20 mini since you'll be able to sample any of the cool patches you make, and then further manipulate in the Octatrack if you like.

Prototype wrote:what trusted source would I buy one from?
I've bought tons of stuff off of ebay with maybe a 2-3% BS margin - do your research - sometimes: who's actually selling a used Virus B on ebay is a music store - if true: give them a call first - price break(s)/return policies/etc. can be discovered.

I've bought used stuff from Guitar Center with good results - chances are that they didn't pay much for whatever-it-is used - subject to negotiation, the longer 'it' has sat around in their shop, the greater the chances are of you scoring a great deal as their price drops closer and closer to what they actually paid for it -

https://reverb.com/item/938165-access-v ... 1999-black

- This is a great deal -

Edit - specifically: Reverb has a pretty good reputation - I've bought off of them -

For the Virus C listed by 'Zypher's Gear Outlet' (may be a one-man operation) -

You can message to negotiate and/or ask about accepting a return if DOA/short-term fail (say: two weeks from day of receipt of item) - the seller apparently has recently sold a black-face Ensoniq ASR-X (albeit stripped) for 100 USD! (If in decent shape, that's cheap)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ha sorry EnGee i read it earlier and just forgot you had already answered that question. So many responses to read and research I just mustve missed that last part

Ill check out the octotrack also Daags. I must as well, the more stuff I can do away from the office desk the better

Prototype wrote:Rod,

Tucker mentioned i may still be able to get my hands on a little phatty for 450, how would that fare against subphatty?
Similar sound, the interface is not bad on the little phatty but not as good as the sub. But encoders are great when recalling presets.

Maybe look for a minitaur too.
dedication to flying

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”