Suggestions for my first true synthesizer? Rack with the most hands-on control?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for posting that deal Golden, I am researching the virus rack now!

Last question: Were i to get the MS20, I know its mono but im wondering if since it can receive Midi IN data, could I just hook my controller up to it and play polyphony from my controller?

If not sampling to a hardware sampling box is still an option for me, no big deal.

Nope the hardware for the ms-20 is only meant to control one voice. To have polyphony on a synthesizer you need to basically have a copy of the synth engine spread across multiple keys.

So for a 8 voice polyphonic MS-20 you would essentially need 8 complete ms-20s with each providing a "voice" for a single key on your keyboard. It goes farther than that though, but thats basically the idea.
:borg:

+1 for the ms20

or you could go with the roland system1m . digital, I know... but fits your criterias well and cheap for what it does. and actually sounds very good if you load the SH2 plugout.
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

Prototype wrote:I can take out of the office into my room or onto the couch or something
Prototype wrote:it must be a rack
I smell a bit of a contradiction right there...
A synth in a 19" rack housing still needs a midi controller to receive the notes to play. So to do something with it on the couch you'd need a master keyboard right there as well. The usual non-rack versions with keys you can use completely stand-alone. Just my 2cts...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Prototype wrote:Last question: Were i to get the MS20, I know its mono but im wondering if since it can receive Midi IN data, could I just hook my controller up to it and play polyphony from my controller?
nope. it's mono. hooking it up to an external midi keyboard or midi sequencer isn't going to make it poly.

hence you can only use it 'live' for single voice bass/lead lines, a single percussive voice or general SFX/drone duties. Orrrrrr you use it for designing sounds and then sample those sounds into a sampler (like the Octatrack) where they can be used in a polyphonic manner, or to create drum kits, or multiple SFX sounds, or as much layering and post-FX as you desire - or a combination of all of the above - and still be able to use the ms20 as a 'live' voice in combination with everything you've created on the sampler.

there's oodles of Octatrack demos, tracks, tutorials, performances on youtube to give you an idea of how it sounds, what it's like to produce with it or perform.

btw - stretching the budget a bit I know but depending on if you buy used or new - I'd also think about adding a Korg Volca Keys to my proposed ms20 mini + Octatrack setup. For some nice polyanalog flavour : ) ... it's basic, but punches way above it's weight, sounds great and comes with a self-contained and nifty sequencer. Again - this would make great sample fodder for the Octatrack as well as being used 'live' in conjunction with it.

Actually the Analog 4 is within budget

Duh

Has somebody mentioned that already?!

yes, I've suggested any of the Elektron boxes already.

The analog4 would be a fantatic choice, it's small, portable and wouldn't need another controller.
dedication to flying

Prototype wrote:
Also I am very curious about the Prophet 12, Ive never seen a real one but its my absolute favorite soundsource to use in Omnisphere. But im almost positive a prophet is way out of my budget?
A few weeks ago there was a used one up for $1547 from Perfect Circuit Audio.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dave-Smith-Inst ... 463cbef0d4

They can be found at this price pretty regularly, but I don't see one up there at the moment for this good a deal. I say wait a bit. It's such a deep machine... when you learn how to deal with it's tuned feedback you'll be glad you did. Also, they just released an OS update that includes linear FM!
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

JD800 if you can pick one up 2nd hand and test the keys and slider etc...great unit to get started and for total hands on.
Otherwise a Virus or maybe a Moog phatty

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”