One Synth Challenge #77: Charlatan (Taron wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan

Hey Ricky, I've left you an "OUCH!" comment when you hit some sour notes (highest notes are outside of the proper scale) with your little bleep-runs. I would try to clean that up a bit. Also, I like how you go wild toward the end with the fight in the bird-cage, hehe, but on my headphones it can get a wee bit painful. I wonder, if you should take a look at your track with Voxengo's SPAN, see how far those leap off the higher spectrum and consider taming them a little.
I might be wrong, but it seems like you have a tendency to pan things to the left? By the way, there Voxengo's SPAN can also be kind of helpful, because it does show a panning weight in the lower right corner!
Other than that, it's a pleasant old-school synth track = I like it! 8-)

https://soundcloud.com/docjon/doc-jon-open-your-mind

Host - Cubase 8 Pro

27 instances of Charlatan, mixture of tweaked presets and original patches

FX - host compression, delay, autopan, reverb
Soft Clipper on Rhodes and organ patches
Multiband compression and limiter on master buss
Voxengo Span to keep an eye on everything

Good luck everyone!

Jon

This thing is still acting up like crazy on me, everyday and every hour is project volume drop outs. I'm streaming every single thing at this point...
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Didn't you have countless instances already...something like over 60 or so? If that was the case, I wonder, if that's the problem. Also, is it 32 or 64 bit for you? I'm assuming 64, but if it was 32 and many instances...another worthy thought.
I really, really, didn't have many troubles with it. But I "only" had 39 instances at 64 bit in MuLab, which is a total lightweight on processor demand... it's like a formula 1 champion with speed and handling, haha!

Anyway, maybe you should take this up with the creator of Charlatan, see if you can track down the source of your troubles, but it sure is late now. :shrug: :scared:

Good luck, though, and I bet your track is great either way! :tu:

https://soundcloud.com/rghvdberg/quak-doctor-update-3

My first real try at synthesis btw, still a lot work to be done :?

But .. trying to run windows vst on linux can be (is ..) tricky as I found out. The plugin host (carla) changed parameters when opening or saving presets. But that's solved now and the plugin works like a charm. :tu:

Ardour4.1 as I found out has a nasty bug with playing midi. :roll: I thought this was solved in the nineties but I'm only a musician and not a programmer.

Anyway I played all the tracks one by one and recorded them in Qtractor. I cleaned up all the hanging notes manually, reloaded all presets on the tracks and I thought I was good to go but alas the automation in Qtractor doesn't work to my liking. I was about to give up. It looked like a lot of work and no fun.

Then I had an idea to export the midi tracks from Qtractor and import them in a fresh project in Ardour and lo and behold .. no more hanging notes ...
So after all these setbacks I'm trying to finish an 'ok' track :-)

I know it would probably be easier/faster to do in Windows but I just like linux.
In the progress discovered some bugs that I could report and which have been fixed or will be shortly.

DAW : Ardour 4.1 some work in Qtractor 0.7.0
FX used so far
http://calf-studio-gear.org/ : Calf limiter/reverb/vintage delay/saturator
http://openavproductions.com/artyfx/ Roomy reverb
Tal Dub-3

Greetings from the Linux master race :borg:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Very curious what the next synth will be?? :hyper: :hyper: :clown: :clown: :clown: :hihi: :hihi:

YAh, me, too! I was wondering how those are being chosen and if there was a mysterious thread somewhere on suggestions?!
I recently stumbled across this VST 4 FREE website, which appears to catch each and every free vst out there, haha, it's pretty massive. There I stumbled across a curious synth called BrainStormer. It seems quite powerful, yet, nicely arranged. I'd imagine this could be taken pretty far?! :shrug:

Anyway, I'll clap when the deadline is reached, because I imagine a bunch of more tracks to show up at the last second. :P

Taron wrote:I stumbled across a curious synth called BrainStormer. It seems quite powerful, yet, nicely arranged.
Windows only, but yes, that one does look pretty nice - and not a crappy synthmaster thing, either. :)
Taron wrote:... I imagine a bunch of more tracks to show up at the last second. :P
That always seems to happen... ;)

Taron wrote:Didn't you have countless instances already...something like over 60 or so? If that was the case, I wonder, if that's the problem. Also, is it 32 or 64 bit for you? I'm assuming 64, but if it was 32 and many instances...another worthy thought.
I really, really, didn't have many troubles with it. But I "only" had 39 instances at 64 bit in MuLab, which is a total lightweight on processor demand... it's like a formula 1 champion with speed and handling, haha!

Anyway, maybe you should take this up with the creator of Charlatan, see if you can track down the source of your troubles, but it sure is late now. :shrug: :scared:

Good luck, though, and I bet your track is great either way! :tu:
Thanks bro :) I am managing it right now, just need to keep the track short :hihi: Right now its at eight minutes, which isn't so bad. I'm just worried if I'll finish in time at this point. Just pulled 10 hours straight and getting tired. If I sleep now that still leaves me with a single day just arranging and automating the leads. Oh yeah, I'm at well over 100 now, maybe around 125 ish. Maybe I'll upload a screenshot sometime soon, and a sample..

Edit* Here is a sample of some leads I'm narrowing down, most won't make it in the final version, especially not playing the entire way like in here at least..

https://soundcloud.com/majestic_dawn/lead-one-test
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Tjgoa wrote:... well over 100 now, maybe around 125 ish
Question: are these active or streamed to samples/phrases?

z.prime wrote:
Tjgoa wrote:... well over 100 now, maybe around 125 ish
Question: are these active or streamed to samples/phrases?
Correction...I have 70 right now active.. and 25 that I had to stream cause each one muted the song at one point. I have 20 pads in a seperate project that I plan to mess with if I have time...

TTU Youtube

Hmmm...please, please, don't take this the wrong way, it's seriously impressive how much focus and dedication you're investing in this and even in your little demo-section are gorgeous elements all over, BUT... I think, you should relax your efforts a little, focus on a vibe you love and make a song out of it rather than frantically pulling out all the stops. It ends up being overwhelming for a listener, too, I think. There's only so much one can handle/remember/distinguish, you know. I believe, it's not necessary to jam the living daylights out of a moment. Memorable things are good, I think, like a highlight you want to remember or- even better- experience again and again. If there are too many of those moments...eh, ah crap, what the hell do I know, I just think it diffuses the whole thing at the end. At least you don't only dazzle with a million elements, but also with great quality!

ANYHOW it sounds great so...and I should just shut up, because my stuff is worlds away from mainstream, I'm afraid, while you're swimming smack in the middle of it. Respect and Rock on! :tu: 8-)

Taron wrote:Hmmm...please, please, don't take this the wrong way, it's seriously impressive how much focus and dedication you're investing in this and even in your little demo-section are gorgeous elements all over, BUT... I think, you should relax your efforts a little, focus on a vibe you love and make a song out of it rather than frantically pulling out all the stops. It ends up being overwhelming for a listener, too, I think. There's only so much one can handle/remember/distinguish, you know. I believe, it's not necessary to jam the living daylights out of a moment. Memorable things are good, I think, like a highlight you want to remember or- even better- experience again and again. If there are too many of those moments...eh, ah crap, what the hell do I know, I just think it diffuses the whole thing at the end. At least you don't only dazzle with a million elements, but also with great quality!

ANYHOW it sounds great so...and I should just shut up, because my stuff is worlds away from mainstream, I'm afraid, while you're swimming smack in the middle of it. Respect and Rock on! :tu: 8-)
This is so true. Listen to the into to "Also Sprach Zarathustra" for a perfect example of how so little can be so effective.

Taron wrote:Hmmm...please, please, don't take this the wrong way, it's seriously impressive how much focus and dedication you're investing in this and even in your little demo-section are gorgeous elements all over, BUT... I think, you should relax your efforts a little, focus on a vibe you love and make a song out of it rather than frantically pulling out all the stops. It ends up being overwhelming for a listener, too, I think. There's only so much one can handle/remember/distinguish, you know. I believe, it's not necessary to jam the living daylights out of a moment. Memorable things are good, I think, like a highlight you want to remember or- even better- experience again and again. If there are too many of those moments...eh, ah crap, what the hell do I know, I just think it diffuses the whole thing at the end. At least you don't only dazzle with a million elements, but also with great quality!

Thanks a lot bro, I appreciate it. I was just experimenting with tons of stuff thrown in there, I'll take a few parts from that which blended well, maybe a minute from the entire part. I know exactly what you mean bro by jaming the living daylights out of the moment. I'm trying to keep it chilled in the final mix and not overwhelm my nifty bass mid drum track I spent a lot of time on :hihi: I'll keep your excellent advice in mind for tomorrow when I finally pull it all together, without messing it all up if possible. That's just lead test 1, I made 4 more since :hyper: Seriously, sometimes I really don't do myself favors with all this versions, automation mashups, different lead stackings etc, etc.. I'm completely ocd about all that stuff it drives me crazy sometimes.... this whole time this was supposed to be a simple short osc version without getting to hectic. :dog: :hihi:

TTU Youtube

:phew: ...:lol:... :hug:
Can't wait to hear the finished piece! :hyper:

Return to “Instruments”