How sensitive are studio monitors?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm currently planning to buy a pair of KRK RP8 Rokit G3:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/krk_rp8_rokit_g3.htm

But one question that I keep thinking of... is how sensitive are studio monitors in this price range volume-wise?
Because even though I mainly buy these for studio usage, I still want to be able to use these in my "spare time" and just listen to music.... sometimes loud (not too often though).

I've done some checking, and the loudest dbSPL level I listen to with my current regular speaker is around 82 dBSPL (rock music or electronic music with not too heavy bass for instance), and around 78 dBSPL for music with heavier bass.
Some may say that it isn't loud, but that's what my current speakers can handle, otherwise they'll distort :)
However, that's only the loudest - I would say that my typical listening level is ranging between 69 dBSPL and 74 dBSPL, sometimes even quieter if I'm focused on something.

And let's say that I own these now, and that I've been using them for a little while on a moderate level to "warm them up", how loud can I go without wearing them out too fast when just listen to some music, and not using them for studio time (then I obviously keep the level nice and quiet)?
I mean let's say I listen to this "loud" level only a few hours a week, and mostly stick to my typical listening level.
I mean I know that studio speakers fatigues over time and show less and less accurate response compared to when they were "fresh" as time goes, and I don't want them to fatigue too fast, I still want to use them for a couple of years...

Any input?

(btw I have a homestudio, not a pro-studio)

I'd stay away from KRK,lots of problems with them after a year or two,now whether the people who are using them are driving the shit out'em & that's causing the problems I don't now,

You should look at JBL LSR,some great independent reviews on forums about them,

As for how long they last,how long is a piece of string?...but I'd expect 5-7 years or more.

With monitors, you get what you pay for pretty much ... I bought some small Genelec monitors and a sub bass in 1998. I have used them most every day since without any problems. They get used for listening pleasure and watching movies, as well as producing and mixing music. Still sounding great after 17 years ...

[Double-post]

ere2learn wrote:I'd stay away from KRK,lots of problems with them after a year or two,now whether the people who are using them are driving the shit out'em & that's causing the problems I don't now,

You should look at JBL LSR,some great independent reviews on forums about them,

As for how long they last,how long is a piece of string?...but I'd expect 5-7 years or more.
the jbl lsr 305's have indeed received a lot of praise, and sound great. stay away from the krk unless you can afford the vxt, but even then........ :shrug:

to answer your ?
any modern monitors can get pretty f#*king loud

echo the suggestions above - in the Rockit price range; first look at the JBLs and the latest Yamaha monitors

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Some are very sensitive, you play a sad song through them and water comes pouring out of the tweeters :?

I know monitors from this price range (and sometime seven a little bit below) can handle a lot of pressure - technically speaking. Obviously these monitors can handle a lot more pressure than my current ones without blowing cones or burning the amp or doing any other physical damage.

But sonically speaking...
I mean people say that studio monitors eventually degrades over time and become less and less accurate for studio usage and more colored. If I listen to loud music on my spare time with them, is there a risk that this sonic degradation will happen a lot faster?
That the speakers will become less reliable in terms of studio usage faster, than if I were to use them solely for studio usage and only listen to then at low levels 99 % of the time?

Speaking of KRK's, what sort of problem are you referring to?

fluffy_little_something wrote:Some are very sensitive, you play a sad song through them and water comes pouring out of the tweeters :?
such sensitive. much wow. (had to) :hyper:

steffeeH wrote:that's what my current speakers can handle, otherwise they'll distort
It's probably the amp that distorts then, not the speaker itself. And distortion is not good for your tweeters, too much power on the tweeters can kill them.
steffeeH wrote:people say that studio monitors eventually degrades over time and become less and less accurate for studio usage and more colored
Myth or truth? I'd say it's bullshit. The speakers in my living room are about 30 years old, and still sound as fine as the first day I got them.
steffeeH wrote:Speaking of KRK's, what sort of problem are you referring to?
Search here in the Hardware forum for "KRK Rokit" and you'll find plenty examples of them slowly falling apart after warranty has expired. Failing drivers, capacitors that dry up and make them permanently hum 50 or 60 Hz... The KRK VXT series is supposedly much better.

NB: if you don't work in a room that's larger than say 3x4 meters, then I'd go for monitors with just 6.5" woofers. And maybe add a subwoofer if bass is really important to you. But that will cost more...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I had my rokits g2 since they first came out. No proper break-in was given to them. They still sound alright but the bass is flimsy compared to when I first got them. I never had electronics problems though.
No idea what KRK is doing now with their manufacturing. If you look closely you can see the corner cutting that is put into them.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”