Are we upgrading to Win 10?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, guys

Did you receive your Win 10 upgrade invitation yet? Three of my computers, including music say, "You are part of the upgrade- we will notify..." My main internet computer, the one I was going to upgrade first is still saying. "This computer is compatible- view report". It says my music computer is combatable and no apps will have to be uninstalled... I have every software synth under the sun installed and use Sonar Platinum as my DAW and Presonus StudioLive for sound. Will start checking on the drivers. How about you?

I've got a Presonus 16.0.2 but I just visited their site and I did not see any mention of a Windows 10 compatible driver. I'm going to hold back until they officially announce Windows 10 compatibility.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Yeah, it would be sux if it not compatible. My is 24.4.2- the older Studio Live. When I was upgrading to Win 8.1, Roland did not have drivers, and Yamaha had- I have Motif XS 8. But my main computer still says nothing about getting ready for update download.

I also have M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R for my Lap Top, and that did not have Win 8 drivers, only 7, but people said- it was ok for 8. I am so tempted to upgrade to 10 as well...

I never installed the notification patch, it's an "optional" patch.

I'm running win7, if you manually go into the configuration you can select an option something like "sort updates based upon priority".

Once you select this it will divide the updates into a list of "critical" and "optional" and "drivers". "critical" are selected by default and you are notified, although if you have "notify me of updates but do not download" selected you'll still need to manually click "download" and then "install" to apply these updates.

If this is how you have things configured, you can read the technical descriptions of the optional updates to find they fix bugs on some old PCI modem (eeaaarrrch shhhhzzzzz click click click click zaaaaaeeeeechrrrrrsssshhhh) or something else you'll never need.

Most people wouldn't bother to do that though.

As for installing any updates, I've just started the upgrade process from visual studio 2010 to 2015 because it finally became acceptable to use after some patches. Still some issues but not major ones, and I was willing to take advantage of the benefits (not crashing, anyone?) of the new version.

For win10 however I think I'll just wait and see how things look.

In fact, literally. Two major concerns are regarding the font rasterizer and the ability to get the "old" win-98 appearance of window decorations. I've had to manually adjust some hinting flags in the fonts on this system to get grayscale "tiny" (like in Xhip) fonts to render well.

I've also tweaked some registry settings to force grayscale rendering to eliminate the horrible color banding and blur from "cleartype".

For code I actually use an even smaller font, "terminal 6". This is my fixed width font, tahoma 7 is my preferred non-proportional font.

A lot of other things sound good but I'll have to wait and see.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

On my laptop, it has had the files in place for a week now. Yet has not kicked off... and trying to manually run the setup.exe in the hidden folder just displays an error message about not finding a wim file.

Audio Desktop has the KB installed but no icon as of this morning.

If it hasn't come down by tonight, I'll just use the ISO tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... ndows10ISO and go from there.

I upgraded to Win 10 today.

ilok only works if I reinstall ilok manager every time I boot windows.
Creative Titanium X-fi wont have a working driver until October.

I'm going to try reverting back to Win 8.

Got Win10 on my main desktop.

I went to the link I provided, created the 64bit Home 10 ISO, burned to DVD, ran the installer on the newly created DVD while inside Windows 7, went through the options (theres a lot of strange stuff about WIFI sharing and Password sharing and the like you will want to do a custom install and disable), after awhile the computer came back and voila in 10.

That isn't the end of the story, however, as the stock Start Menu is really convoluted. So I installed the latest release of Classic Shell and set it to Windows 7 mode. Much better. I also went into options and did a bit more configuring to disable sharing my data with MS and the rest of the world haha.

I haven't had to configure this much since Windows XP days. But it is a set of different configurations this time around..

Oh the MOTU driver installed fine and I'm listening to music now through my Microbook II. (Update on MOTU, I can hear buzzy/crackly noise in the background and it gets louder when I scroll up/down in a browser or move windows around.. clearly not all there yet!)

Haven't even bothered installing Cubase yet.. nor any of my music software.. still getting email, browser, and the other basic stuff setup.

It could be entirely my imagination but graphics seem much sharper and clearer in 10 compared to 7.

Oh and I also used a vbs script I found online to pull out my Product key. It is a different key from my Windows 7 key. Printed that out for safe keeping with the ISO.

Be warned Cubase has announced today they have timing issues to resolve under win 10.

https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support ... ws-10.html

Kaine wrote:Be warned Cubase has announced today they have timing issues to resolve under win 10.

https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support ... ws-10.html

Yes, and in case anyone missed it yesterday, Guillermo from Steinberg posted this:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7&t=443285
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Still need to move to W7.
10 is about 15 years away for me :lol:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:Still need to move to W7.
10 is about 15 years away for me :lol:
I think you have around 5 years left of security patches on Win7 so not a terrible thing to do. I moved because of DirectX 12 and the new store. I suspect it will be a few months before Win10 is really ironed out. If Win7 had DX12, I'd probably have been a hold out for another 5 years haha

Which DX12 features are motivating for you? Is it anything general or just following to keep compatible with the latest games/etc?
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

I've only just got done configuring Win 8.1 (with Classic Shell) on my new PC ... I don't really fancy going through all that again any time soon. Win 10 will have to wait.

I upgraded my machine to 10 yesterday. Had to reinstall a handful of drivers and ILok but after that I had no issue when it came to audio software...

Developing software... Well I'm still trying to get my IDE's (Specifically Visual Studio) to open.

Dakkra
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

aciddose wrote:Which DX12 features are motivating for you? Is it anything general or just following to keep compatible with the latest games/etc?
DX12 is said to massively improve game, or 3D performance, at least on graphics cards with an older GPU. Not sure how much of that is really true, and not marketing bogus though. I would assume much of it is the latter, as usual. Regardless of that it surely will bring some improvements, so with Windows 10 being a free upgrade for most users, it's kind of a no-brainer. Although i'm not sure myself yet if i will upgrade my desktop machine at all, because it's so much work, at least when you do a clean install. Read that the upgrade process should be pretty clean too though, so that might also be an option.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”