Windows 10 **FORCED** OS updates -- thoughts?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Didn't see mention of this in the general Win10 thread. Maybe this is more of a Public Service Announcement anyway.

So it looks like MS is up to old tricks. Turns out the old method of receiving and installing OS and feature updates is... well... not up to the user anymore.

Supposedly this is part of their "Windows as service" strategy. Personally, I would prefer "Windows as operating system"... but that's just me I guess. :shrug:

Want full control over which device drivers are installed on your system? Windows has a solution to that. It's called: "We're Microsoft, So Everyone Can Suck It". In fact, Win10 users were already hit with a major Nvidia driver update cluster bleep a couple days ago.

Be afraid, DAW users. Be very afraid.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/294962 ... panic.html

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/softwa ... es-1300335

Anybody here keep unattended and automatic updates enabled on their Win boxes? Anyone?

I can see it now... Cranking away late at night, working on some awesome vocal takes... BOING! Windows needs to reboot to finish installing its crap. What? You were in the middle of something? Ok, yeah, we're rebooting now, so.. buh-bye.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

kbaccki wrote: Supposedly this is part of their "Windows as service" strategy.
No, it's rather part of their "the user is so stupid and lazy that we rather automate the whole process and totally get it out of user hand so that the system is up to date at all times" strategy. There's really noone but the average dumbo user to blame for this. And yes, i'd also like to install the updates i want to when i want to. But i can understand why MS does it. They get a lot of shit for "lack of security", so they will simply force security.

Even better ...

Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to send other people updates:

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07 ... e-updates/
Bitwig Certified Trainer

bleeding edge early adopters are unhappy.

who'd have thunk it.

Or you can get pro, and force it to ask you to schedule reboots for updates

Also as shown in the article you can easily disable update sharing, and despite what it says its not hidden, it was pretty blatantly obvious the first time i went to the update screen

ezelkow1 wrote:Or you can get pro, and force it to ask you to schedule reboots for updates

Also as shown in the article you can easily disable update sharing, and despite what it says its not hidden, it was pretty blatantly obvious the first time i went to the update screen
Tell grandma how easy it is to find and disable. ;)
Bitwig Certified Trainer

chk071 wrote:
kbaccki wrote: Supposedly this is part of their "Windows as service" strategy.
No, it's rather part of their "the user is so stupid and lazy that we rather automate the whole process and totally get it out of user hand so that the system is up to date at all times" strategy. There's really noone but the average dumbo user to blame for this. And yes, i'd also like to install the updates i want to when i want to. But i can understand why MS does it. They get a lot of shit for "lack of security", so they will simply force security.
Ah yes. Security. Like storing everybody's WiFi passwords on MS servers? That's MS's idea of security in 2015.

Anyway, there MUST be a reg key somewhere to turn off automatic updates. They have the "show/hide" utility that they released recently, but that only works AFTER THE FACT. IOW, once your system is broken, you can go figure out how to rollback the thing that broke it... then using the show/hide utility you can tell windows to eff off when it insists on reinstalling the thing that broke your system. But your system automagically broke to begin with... Which is what makes the show/hide tool so... uh... valuable... (question mark).

ezelkow1 wrote:Or you can get pro, and force it to ask you to schedule reboots for updates
Scheduling the reboot is not the problem. It's not having an explicit choice in how and when updates are automatically downloaded and installed on your system that is the problem.

So what we're saying here is maybe on Pro you get a nice dialog that says "Hello, User! Congratulations, we just installed a bunch of crap on your computer! When would you like to reboot to find out if it works?"

Me no likey. As pissed off as Apple makes me... I tell you I had high hopes for MS going back to basics with Win10, but if this is an peek into the future, then I'm going to have to reconsider just how pissed off Apple makes me. I **CANNOT** give that level of control of my machine over to the OS vendor. Or maybe I just ride out the Win7 compatibility curve and worry about cutting the MS cord down the road.

Mm. Just read a comment about yet another fubar automatic update in addition to the Nvidia cluster.

I did like this: Installed win10, update all drivers then go to service, Windows update change it from automatic to manually. Done, problem solved. But still like more Win7 wich at the same clock speed is faster...

Curious if it's as simple as that. A future "update" may simply turn it back on again. :lol:

Daags wrote:bleeding edge early adopters are unhappy.

who'd have thunk it.
yes and a lot of the uneasiness is resolvable by either turning settings off or really understanding how the feature functions. for instance the wifi sense does not automatically share out your wifi.. even to your friends.. you have to actually physically click on a button to share.

Still haven't found a method of turning off windows updates without disabling processes.. but at least I have set it up to not automatically install and reboot my system. progress. :hihi:

kbaccki wrote:Me no likey. As pissed off as Apple makes me...
OSX has been doing this forced update stuff for the past couple versions. If anything you might say this is Apple's idea that Windows copied again :)
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:
kbaccki wrote:Me no likey. As pissed off as Apple makes me...
OSX has been doing this forced update stuff for the past couple versions. If anything you might say this is Apple's idea that Windows copied again :)
Apple does not do forced updates.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Oh really?
http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/2 ... ork-not-to

Also yes they do, only certain updates are "forced" and these are the ones you do not know about. The recent bug in (I can't remember exact details) some encryption feature had a forced update applied which didn't even notify the user.

Also what about android? I'd claim Google invented the method of disabling an app to force you to update it and including additional changes you'd never expect along with it but unfortunately Apple beat them to it.

What about all the game systems, TVs, video players and so on that do this same shit? You can't use the device anymore unless you upgrade. Sure you have the option to not upgrade, but then it becomes useless. How is that not forcing you?
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:Oh really?
http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/2 ... ork-not-to

Also yes they do, only certain updates are "forced" and these are the ones you do not know about. The recent bug in (I can't remember exact details) some encryption feature had a forced update applied which didn't even notify the user.

Also what about android? I'd claim Google invented the method of disabling an app to force you to update it and including additional changes you'd never expect along with it but unfortunately Apple beat them to it.

What about all the game systems, TVs, video players and so on that do this same shit? You can't use the device anymore unless you upgrade. Sure you have the option to not upgrade, but then it becomes useless. How is that not forcing you?
Like I said, Apple does not do forced updates. Notifying users of updates is not a forced update. Do you even own a Mac?
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”