MAutoEqualizer

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just tried MAutoEqualizer for the first time and I am blown away by the ease of use. Using Voxengo CurveEQ's matching feature was kind of an "operation" each time, and it also introduced hell of a latency. MAutoEQ in comparison works like a charm, I got excellent results in a matter of seconds. Maybe it's just personal style preference or something like that, but I am truly wowed by this :-)

Thank you!! :love:
Btw. I think it works even also with MAutoDynamicEq, just not with linear-phase ;).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

If I may ask some questions here:

1. Is there a good test for making the difference between linear-phase and non-linear-phase audible? I am still not getting the advantage of linear-phase (blame on me ...).
2. Why does MAutoEq has no low- and high-cut options like MAutoDynamicEq? Could it be possible to integrate it in the future? It's one of the reasons why I still use MAutoDynamicEq a lot - withouth using its dynamic-feature at all! :D
3. Which Eq would you prefer for regular mixing, Vojtech?

Thanks for the answers! :)
System: Win 10 64 bit / i9 9900K (8x 3.6 GHz) / 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM / 1TB M.2 SSD + 2x 500 GB SSD / RME Babyface / Reaper

Tagirijus.de

The difference is rather subtle for regular mixing situations, it can however get badly audible for extreme situations.

In simple words, a normal EQ keeps the timing but smears phase (which changes the sound), a lin phase EQ keeps the phase but smears timing. Vojtech, please correct if this is wrong.

I have made an extreme example with a small bd/sn loop

clean
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3347 ... _Clean.mp3

peak (bell) type boost of the bassdrum frequency with Q=1
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3347 ... QBoost.mp3

peak boost with Q=10
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3347 ... QBoost.mp3

peak boost with Q=10 in linear phase mode
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3347 ... nPhase.mp3

What you can hear is that high values of Q introduce more ringing (which I could call "time smearing"), the boosted bassdrum rings much longer with high Q compared to low Q. Now in linear phase mode, the smearing gets to be heard BEFORE the actual bassdrum hit, it's called pre-ringing. You can hear that in the last example.

So as to timing, one can keep the general rule: rather don't use lin phase EQ on drums especially if you work on the bass range with high slopes / Q values. So a steep sloped linear phase lowcut on a drumbus is generally a bad idea. (In case of the peak filter, normally you boost with shallow slopes and you only cut with steep slopes, this way you get around this problem).

As to sound, I don't really hear much difference, but I think people say that linear phase sounds more neutral, less coloring.

Wow, what a nice example. Thank you very much! I think the "pre-ringing is clearly audible and shows the thing with the phase and timing.

Another question: why doesnt MAutoEq introduce latency then? Magic? :D ... At least in FL Studio 12 no latency is reported - also turning the dry / wet knob in the DAWs mixer does not sound like phasing / doubling the sound.
System: Win 10 64 bit / i9 9900K (8x 3.6 GHz) / 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM / 1TB M.2 SSD + 2x 500 GB SSD / RME Babyface / Reaper

Tagirijus.de

Exactly!

Basically I see a reason to use linear-phase equalizers only in difficult mixing situations when you need to avoid any phase shift, otherwise a phase cancellation could occur - when you mix multiple same tracks - if you'd phase shifted one of them, they might not sum well.

MAutoEq doesn't have latency, MAutoEqualizerLinearPhase does ;).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Oh ... that's why I did not hear any difference while A/B-ing the different Eqs ... sometimes I am not a smart man, haha. :D

Tagirijus.de

No self-underestimations here :D
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”