Is there enough bass in the drop?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Clarisonix vst will give you instant more bass.

natre wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:well, i think problem #1 is youre comparing it with other things instead of just listening to how it sounds. that sidechaining is way more noticeable than just about anything. the sound being ducked is going near to silent when the the sidechain is triggered. the point of the sidechain is to enhance...not isolate. granted...theres wiggle room there for how noticeable you want it, but this is just too much.

and again...the timing is off on it...which is more of a problem really.

right now it sounds like someone has their hand on the volume knob and is trying to manually turn the volume down every time the kick plays.

ok...so i think i just figured out what the disconnect might be.

have you listed to this with headphones on?

i just played it through my speakers (i normally always use headphones)...and i can understand why you might not be hearing what im hearing. through my speakers...its not quite as bad...its still too much, but i at least didnt get dizzy from it.

but through the phones...its really noticeable.

i would suggest giving this a listen through a decent pair of reference headphones if you can. maybe youll understand better what im trying to say.
I understand.
Yeah I have the audio technica m50x.
but... I don't know. It sounds a lot better in my headphones than in speakers. on the speakers I hear the sidechaining enhanced. So it is a bit much. But what really makes me upset is the fact that you guys think that it's unbearable. Like.. it might not be the perfect amount of sidechain, but it's perfectly listenable to. I hate when things are over sidechained, and i've listened to some rookie songs that are way over sidechained, but I think this song is just on the higher limit of it being sidechained. I dunno. I'll tone it down, not a problem, but I'm just surprised that it's thought of as extremely over sidechained. Idk. Haha. I'll take care of it tho!
There are nice ways to critique someone's work, and there are other ways... and all of these comments have been "the other ways" and it sucks. It's quite discouraging. I guess that's my discontent. But it's no problem. I just didn't expect people to be like this on this forum.
part of the issue is that you asked for advice, then was kinda shocked that people took issue with something else. your immediate response was to suggest that perhaps people were not familiar with how things should be in that genre, rather than taking these strong visceral reactions into consideration.

that people find something unbearable is not something to get upset about. you either consider the possibility that others in your intended audience might feel the same, or that we really are ignorant. either is a possibility, and if you are happy with what you have then that is really the only important thing

clearly your expectations of this forum have not been met, but i think you happened to get good advice. maybe lighten up a little :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
natre wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:well, i think problem #1 is youre comparing it with other things instead of just listening to how it sounds. that sidechaining is way more noticeable than just about anything. the sound being ducked is going near to silent when the the sidechain is triggered. the point of the sidechain is to enhance...not isolate. granted...theres wiggle room there for how noticeable you want it, but this is just too much.

right now it sounds like someone has their hand on the volume knob and is trying to manually turn the volume down every time the kick plays.

i just played it through my speakers (i normally always use headphones)...and i can understand why you might not be hearing what im hearing. through my speakers...its not quite as bad...its still too much, but i at least didnt get dizzy from it.

i would suggest giving this a listen through a decent pair of reference headphones if you can. maybe youll understand better what im trying to say.
I understand.
but... I don't know. It sounds a lot better in my headphones than in speakers. on the speakers I hear the sidechaining enhanced. So it is a bit much. But what really makes me upset is the fact that you guys think that it's unbearable. Like.. it might not be the perfect amount of sidechain, but it's perfectly listenable to. I hate when things are over sidechained, and i've listened to some rookie songs that are way over sidechained, but I think this song is just on the higher limit of it being sidechained. I dunno. I'll tone it down, not a problem, but I'm just surprised that it's thought of as extremely over sidechained. Idk. Haha. I'll take care of it tho!
There are nice ways to critique someone's work, and there are other ways... and all of these comments have been "the other ways" and it sucks. It's quite discouraging. I guess that's my discontent. But it's no problem. I just didn't expect people to be like this on this forum.
part of the issue is that you asked for advice, then was kinda shocked that people took issue with something else. your immediate response was to suggest that perhaps people were not familiar with how things should be in that genre, rather than taking these strong visceral reactions into consideration.

that people find something unbearable is not something to get upset about. you either consider the possibility that others in your intended audience might feel the same, or that we really are ignorant. either is a possibility, and if you are happy with what you have then that is really the only important thing

clearly your expectations of this forum have not been met, but i think you happened to get good advice. maybe lighten up a little :shrug:
Thanks man, I appreciate that. I did take it kinda strongly, you're right. I've just not received such comments on my stuff before, that's why I was a little upset. But no prob, I'll try to fix it.

natre wrote:
natre wrote:

I understand.

Thanks man, I appreciate that. I did take it kinda strongly, you're right. I've just not received such comments on my stuff before, that's why I was a little upset. But no prob, I'll try to fix it.
it's cool. i guess i also take it for granted that people will always detect humour, especially if they don't know you. my comments were exaggerated, although i did feel it needed conveying

it is difficult to receive criticism, but it can always be turned around for the good

also, my point about YOU liking it still stands. once you've considered all the critique, you're still good to stick with your gut feeling; there is no real right or wrong here

welcome to kvr :tu:

I know this thread is dead, but I had to comment haha Natre was confused about the criticisms that people were giving him because the criticisms were just wrong... The sidechaining is 100% on point. Very similar to literally every other progressive house track out there. Evidently the people leaving comments in this thread have never listened to EDM ever. Listen to Porter Robinson's The Thrill remix - THAT'S extreme sidechaining.

Anyways man, your mix sounds awesome. In the drop, I would've liked a little more low end and a little less high end. There are lots of saws/fuzzy-sounding synths and I know it's difficult to gauge the high frequency content of them, but yeah they were a tad harsh. Otherwise sick track.

natre wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:mummy !! please make it stop !!! :cry: :cry:
Are you talking about the song? Or the extreme sidechaining?
i find the two to be inseparable.

it's not really a music style that i love, but i don't hate it either. however, the over-aggressive side-chaining is the sonic equivalent of someone trying to pull my guts out of my arsehole....not fun :shrug:
priceless!
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

Jarvis14 wrote:I know this thread is dead, but I had to comment haha Natre was confused about the criticisms that people were giving him because the criticisms were just wrong... The sidechaining is 100% on point. Very similar to literally every other progressive house track out there. Evidently the people leaving comments in this thread have never listened to EDM ever. Listen to Porter Robinson's The Thrill remix - THAT'S extreme sidechaining.

Anyways man, your mix sounds awesome. In the drop, I would've liked a little more low end and a little less high end. There are lots of saws/fuzzy-sounding synths and I know it's difficult to gauge the high frequency content of them, but yeah they were a tad harsh. Otherwise sick track.

aha! i think youve cracked the case. now that you mention it, im sure that here...on a forum dedicated to instruments and effects which exclusively run on computers...that none of us have ever heard electronic dance music before.

kudos to you fine sir! you are a scholar and a gentleman.
ImageImageImage

Sorry, Progressive House is the kind of music I make, and half the music I listen to, and I'm very familiar with what extreme sidechaining sounds like. But there's still something wrong with the timing on this track. I can't quite place what it is.

My current guess: the lead synth that starts during the drop is having its attack eaten by the sidechaining, which would be fine except that its emphasis is placed on the "1" of each measure, and the result is that it sounds out of rhythm because it sounds like it's starting between 1:1 and 1:2. The place where you hear its apparent attack is not evenly on a beat so it sounds wrong.

Also, you can overdo sidechaining even in progressive house. I know sometimes artists like Porter make it aggressive, covering the whole mix, but when they do, they make absolutely sure that the timing is PERFECT. A more typical mix would leave some parts, or some frequencies, un-sidechained. I think that top lead is a great candidate for not sidechaining.

Listen to the original of "Let you Go" -- the bass elements are heavily side chained but the top frequencies have almost no sidechaining.

But I'm just a fool who has never listened to EDM ever. What do I know.

Jarvis14 wrote:I know this thread is dead, but I had to comment haha Natre was confused about the criticisms that people were giving him because the criticisms were just wrong... The sidechaining is 100% on point. Very similar to literally every other progressive house track out there. Evidently the people leaving comments in this thread have never listened to EDM ever. Listen to Porter Robinson's The Thrill remix - THAT'S extreme sidechaining.

I'm listen to electronic music (fromm Gabba, Hardcore to Ambient) about 15 years now. Sidechain is set wrong way. Timing is set badly too. Simply too much of reduction and wrong settings of release.
Guys gave him proper advice.

Jarvis14 wrote:IEvidently the people leaving comments in this thread have never listened to EDM ever.
ooooooh, he meant EDM...........i had it in my head that we were talking about ELO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDxcfTm ... j3Sf5L8Sbz_

EDM ?? what's that ?? some new-fangled, young-folks jive in the discos, no doubt. no wonder i don't know what it's all about :oops: :oops:

have just gone back to the original post and listened again...that slide-changing thingumijig is pretty groovy. nice, smooth push/pull feeling, like when i sticks me willy in the dyson :hyper:

EDM is a relatively new umbrella term for club music, just like people used to say disco, dance or techno about anything danceable with an electronic beat and they will find many more terms for that in the future. It doesn't mean anything by itself.

Electric Light Orchestra is widely considered to be the first EDM band in a "true school" subgenre.

I remember term "edm" from 90's. Electronic Dance Music. Unfortunately now it's for "Radio-style pop-house music for anyone"

Maybe IDM? Nobody knows exactly when and who came with the EDM term, but it is generally put somewhere around mid 2000s and the huge popularization of club music in the USA. IDM stands for Intelligent Dance Music and was most popular in the 90s, although to this day there are amazing albums released in that genre (Machinedrum, Nosaj Thing). It's a wide term as well though and some of those IDM artists don't really produce intelligent music by any stretch of the imagination and some others are not really danceable (unless someone has a seizure on the dancefloor).

It was definitely EDM=Electronic Dance Music. Maybe after 2000 it becames popular and trendy to call Dance Music this way but it existed before 00's :) And I will never ever call my music EDM anymore :D
IDM is the most idiotic name for a genre that human could ever invented :D It's good for kids to build up their ego: "yea dude, am not p*ssy like these suckers, am listen to intelligent music: IDM! it's for intelligent people like me" ;D

I am part of Independent music scene but I have a lot of fun from people who need to build up their ego by calling their fav music as "underground, not for everyone but only for elite like me" :D

Btw. I'm curious how many of these "electronic dance music experts" listening "edm", have idea who is Skinny Puppy or, like you mentioned Machinedrum and the fact that this kind of music existed before 2000 :hyper:

LOL

"too much sidechain" good advice guys have you ever heard of dance music?!

Your track is fine mate, keep on making music!

Return to “Production Techniques”