Blue Cat meters need some updating

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like the Blue Cats meters, particularly DP Meter Pro 4. However, with the current focus on loudness there are some features missing.

Take a look at Nugen Audio´s Master Check, for instance. I don´t see why DP Meter shouldn´t be able to do most of this. But there is no setting for K-16 (with or without filters).

Also I found that DP Meter gives too high readings compared to other meters I have. I guess now the reason is that DP Meter measures left and right individually, whereas for true loudness you need mono because left and right cancel each other a little. At least the mono version gives a more correct reading compared to my other meters. But unfortunately I can only hear the music in mono then. So, please, can I have the option to get a "summed measurement" in the stereo version.

Dear Blue Cat, I like your meters. They look good. So come on a make a few updates so that they will work better for current standards of loudness measurements, particularly for the requirements for iTunes music and other online audio services.

Thank you for the feedback. The DP Meter Pro plug-in is dedicated to "physical" characteristics measurements (peak, RMS or crest factor are well defined physical values) as opposed to "perceptual" metering (like loudness). So if we build a loudness meter in the future, it would probably be a different plug-in, to avoid confusion and make sure it corresponds to standards, which are very specific as soon as loudness is concerned.

For K-16, you can set it up easily using the "custom" scale setting, with appropriate values for yellow and red limits. And to measure mono signal values without affecting the audio path, you can just use the mid/side mode: mid values correspond to mono audio levels (left/right sum).

Hope this makes sense!

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”