Tracktion Linux FAQ

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi fortclang

Which version of Tracktion are you running under which version of opensuse?

Thanks

hi danboid,

current T6.2 and opensuse 13.2, used every linux version of tracktion und using suse since years. Maybe your having a problem with your
midi device? Is it usb powered?

Thanks fortklang

I doubt its a hardware issue as my MIDI keyboard / ALSA MIDI works reliably with qtractor and Ardour under Arch.

opensuse 13.2 uses glibc 2.19 whilst I'm running glibc 2.21 under Arch. This could be part of the problem. I wonder if Tracktion is still being compiled under 12.04 / glibc 2.15?

It appears the disappearing MIDI devices is connected to using Zebralette in a session.

I am still experiencing disappearing MIDI devices when I use Zebralette under 6.2.1 but MIDI seems to work fine otherwise.

Zebralette seems pretty unstable under Tracktion in general but it works great under qtractor and Ardour.

It's a real shame Zebralette is practically unusable under T6 as its undoubtably the best freeware synth for Linux. Then again we're not exactly spoilt for choice!

A recent question in another thread on this forum made me realise that the Linux FAQ made no mention of the freely available T4 so I've fixed that now as well as making a few other minor tweaks.

I didn't do that before actually installing and trying Linux T4 of course. Like T5 and T6, online registration didn't work for me so I had to download a key to register offline. I've been having problems with Zebralette under T6 but it works fine under T4.

The only real prob I've encountered so far with Linux T4 is I've been unable to get LADSPA plugins to work. When I scan for them, they all return the error "Deactivated after failing to initialize correctly". It'd be nice to see that fixed.

Can anyone verify whether the MicroSynths are actually available for Linux ? If so I'll part with the $15US right now, but the Tracktion information pages indicate only versions for Win/Mac.

So, MicroSynths for Linux, yea or nay ?

Best,

dp

Last edited by OBSOLETE160530 on Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

falkTX wrote:
StudioDave wrote: So, MicroSynths for Linux, yea or nay ?
Yay, https://i.imgur.com/2vi03yh.png
Thanks a lot, that closed the deal. They're working fine in Bitwig, will test also in Ardour4 and Mixbus3.

Best,

dp

Please let us know what you think of the Microsynths Dave! I've not even scratched the surface of all those amazing U-he synths yet and nor have I had a proper play with the new FLOSS synth on the block, Helm.

I personally feel adding info on TSC's external, separately sold plugins is scope creep for this FAQ.

A comparison of the MIcrosynths vs Zebra 2 vs Aspect vs Discovery (or whatever Disco DSP's flagship synth is now) would be fantastic, hint hint! ;)

Just tried tracktion again and sill have the same problem with it, after a few minutes it freezes my whole system. When this happens I cannot do anything, no tty even. Does tracktion have a problem using jack or something?
linux

danboid wrote:Please let us know what you think of the Microsynths Dave! I've not even scratched the surface of all those amazing U-he synths yet and nor have I had a proper play with the new FLOSS synth on the block, Helm.
At a first hearing they don't sound much different from the original sans-GUI mda plugins. However, the visual controls invite play, so I had some fun tweaking some of the presets.

Helm is a blast. I'm slowly making up my own set of patches for it.
I personally feel adding info on TSC's external, separately sold plugins is scope creep for this FAQ.
I don't want to hijack the thread, is there a better place to discuss these plugins ?
A comparison of the MIcrosynths vs Zebra 2 vs Aspect vs Discovery (or whatever Disco DSP's flagship synth is now) would be fantastic, hint hint! ;)
In order of "weight" I'd place them so:

MicroSynths - Lightweight, serviceable general purpose synths. Nice sounds from the presets, not especially rich, but they're very easy to edit to taste. External effects can add a lot to their basic sounds.

Aspect - High-quality VA synth, definitely more of a "pro" synth. More parameters to adjust, and an accordingly richer sound. The presets are usable but don't do it justice, you really want to tweak this synth to realize its potential.

Discovery/Discovery Pro - Both 1st-rate synthesizers, inspired by the Nord Lead, which I've never touched so can't compare. But these synths have extraordinary sound quality, and the presets nicely display their strengths.

Zebra2/Zebralette - I've used the little Zebra much more than the big creature, and I love it. Excellent sound quality, and u-he's synths always have indicative presets. Obviously I need to spend some quality time with Zebra2, but I'm having too much fun with Hive and ACE. :)

Not a real review, I know. I don't think it's fair to compare the TSC plugins with the items from discoDSP and u-he, there's a considerable qualitative difference. A more interesting review might compare the TSC plugs with rui's synthv1.

Best,

dp

Thanks for that Dave! That's a great summary of commercial Linux softsynths.

I wasn't complaining about you asking about the Microsynths in this thread, it seems like a perfectly valid place to do that but I like my FAQs concise so I thought I'd make my stance on covering them in any depth here clear.

I've updated the plugin support question to note that LADSPA support is broke under v4 and is unlikely to get fixed because T4 is no longer maintained.

Not sure if this is where I should post this? Being a Linux user I figure we only have a small corner here to post stuff that is directly Linux related.

I am using Ubuntu Studio. I grabbed T6 with Master Mix and the Micro Synth option pack T6+ I think they called it. To get going the Market place had a few hicups but the Tracktion team helped me out. I have both installed now and they work great.

Main obstacle was getting the plug-ins into the correct folder and having access rights to that folder. Ubuntu studio does not have a special VST folder so when I put them in the LADSPA folder and did the "search for new plug ins" I had to make sure I selected VST and had the LADSPA folder selected. I could have created a separate VST folder but opted not to, rather just have the whole bunch in one.

I also had to do some research on how to use the CP command in terminal with the sudo option to have write privileges to the LADSPA folder.

Just thought I'd add this in here in case someone without a lot of Linux use like me tries to cross this bridge.

While it was a bit of a pain to do it is some simple skills that as a Linux user you need to pick up anyway, so it was worth the learning curve. Just know that the install instructions Tracktion provided for Linux are sort of correct but may not fit your particular flavor of Linux. You also need to do the offline activiation through Market place.

As a past Ozone user I really like Master Mix, and it had a list a presets with it that I was not expecting. I was shocked to find a nice preset that worked right off the bat that was not over hyped, very click and go simple.

obx777 wrote:Ubuntu studio does not have a special VST folder so when I put them in the LADSPA folder and did the "search for new plug ins"
Usually, on Linux you put (native) VSTs either in /usr/lib/vst or ~/.vst (i.e. .vst below your home dir). I think these two paths are already set per default as VST plugin folders in Tracktion.

Return to “Tracktion”