Studio One 3 Announced!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EnGee wrote:
Arcane Master wrote:
beatmangler443 wrote:Do you guys think they will integrate a notation page in later version? They bought notion, but what are presonus doing with it. Their former ceo is vp of apps or something. Then one of their staff members josh left. How will this work in the future you think? Seems like notion has no staff and is slow moving. Is it me or is studio one could be their bread winner down the line?
Did Josh really leave? Man, that's pretty worrying. I hope they don't end up just sitting on Notion and letting it die away. That's one of the worries many people had when it was first announced that PreSonus bought it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Is Josh (Joshua Weesner?) is the main developer of Notion?

In the "About ..." box, there are many names including 'Josh'. I have Notion 4 by the way.

I really hoped that S1 version 3 would have a good score editor in the same level of Cubase and Logic, but oh well. It might be not that requested feature. I mean, it is a very hard work and I don't know if it is possible now to do it at this stage (Cubase and Logic have the score editor since early versions).

I thought to completely migrate to Cubase Pro/Full, but I feel tired from going back and forth trying to figure out the best DAW. So, mostly I will keep using S1 version 2 till the end of this year then mostly upgrade to Version 3. I feel comfortable with S1 and already found many macros that can fill most of what I need.

I will keep my music separated I guess. Score editor like Notion (or maybe Sibelius if the development of Notion would be halted) and S1 as Midi/Audio DAW.
I'm not sure whether or not he was the main developer of Notion. Either way it still worries me. I wonder why he left.

Yeah, I hoped the same thing. It could still come later on in the life-cycle of version 3. It would be a nice addition for a 3.5 update but something in me tells me that we won't see it at all during version 3 which is disappointing to put it lightly. But that's just a gut feeling. I hope I'm wrong about that.
In regards to it being hard work, I thought it would be a little easy to do a score editor. Not a completely new one from scratch, but somehow integrating a bit of Notion into Studio One. I don't know how that would work, though. It might be more difficult than doing a score editor from scratch although I doubt it. I don't know for sure, though.

That's how I've been doing it so far, too. S1 for the DAW and Notion rewired to S1 for Notation for projects I don't just compose completely in Notion and then export the MIDI to Studio One. It's a bit of a pain in the ass using Notion rewired to S1 for MIDI input, but it's better than nothing at the moment.

I guess there's a small chance for at least a very basic score editor/Notion integration in the version 3 life-cycle. Time will tell, I'll say.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Arcane Master wrote:
beatmangler443 wrote:Do you guys think they will integrate a notation page in later version? They bought notion, but what are presonus doing with it. Their former ceo is vp of apps or something. Then one of their staff members josh left. How will this work in the future you think? Seems like notion has no staff and is slow moving. Is it me or is studio one could be their bread winner down the line?
Did Josh really leave? Man, that's pretty worrying. I hope they don't end up just sitting on Notion and letting it die away. That's one of the worries many people had when it was first announced that PreSonus bought it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
I have to think Notion will eventually be integrated. Seems like too big an opportunity to pass up. Most of the hard work (developing a notation program) has been done. Some things may need to get tweaked and enhanced along the way, but I'm optimistic that Notion integration is on the Studio One road map for some future release. Then again, I thought we'd get Mixer Undo in version 3 and I was wrong on that front, so what do I know.
Yeah, probably eventually. I'm not too worried about it no being integrate. I'm primarily worried about when. I know it's not the most popular feature request. Hell, it's probably not anywhere near it. But it's still an important thing for the people who are requesting it. Yeah, I was surprised that no mixer undo made it into the initial release of version 3. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see what comes in future updates. I'm going to assume we'll have a 3.5 update in about 1 1/2 years, give or take a few months. Just a guesstimate.

Sorry for the wall of text hehe.
I have my meals in a royal palace accompanied by the Royal String Quartet.

Arcane Master wrote:
I'm not sure whether or not he was the main developer of Notion. Either way it still worries me. I wonder why he left.
Well, developers are moving all the time. Many also are stopping to code after distressful years of programming. So, for me I'm not surprised.

On the other hand, PreSonus owns the code of Notion, and now depends on the quality of the code (especially the comments explaining the various functions ..etc) and on the current developers to push Notion forward.

Arcane Master wrote: In regards to it being hard work, I thought it would be a little easy to do a score editor. Not a completely new one from scratch, but somehow integrating a bit of Notion into Studio One. I don't know how that would work, though. It might be more difficult than doing a score editor from scratch although I doubt it. I don't know for sure, though.
I don't know for sure as well. But, my guess it is a very hard work because they need to link all the midi events to the score editor, so you can have two views for the same data (Piano Roll and Score Editor).

It might be not that complex if there is a basic score editor like in Cubase Elements or Artist, but what's the point of a basic score editor that lacks many notations? For me, I want a score editor in the same level of Notion, or Cubase Pro/ Logic.
Arcane Master wrote: That's how I've been doing it so far, too. S1 for the DAW and Notion rewired to S1 for Notation for projects I don't just compose completely in Notion and then export the MIDI to Studio One. It's a bit of a pain in the ass using Notion rewired to S1 for MIDI input, but it's better than nothing at the moment.

I guess there's a small chance for at least a very basic score editor/Notion integration in the version 3 life-cycle. Time will tell, I'll say.
I tried the ReWire with Notion. It doesn't serve me well! I mean what's the point?

Anyway, as I need the money to buy a keyboard, I'm selling my license of Studio One :( But I'm keeping Notion and will keep my eyes on how it goes with S1V3. For now, I will try to do it with Cubase Elements and Reaper.

EnGee wrote: I tried the ReWire with Notion. It doesn't serve me well! I mean what's the point?
Still it was simplifying moving audio from Notion into S1, which means you do your main work in Notion and want to render audio into S1 as a project. If it was Notion 5.1 released with that ability.

I talked to the guys with Notion 2-3 years ago - and they didn't understand one bit about getting the midi from daw to notation and up comes notation of that midi.

10 years ago I talked with Finale folks over the same thing, and they still don't have rewire even and no x64 versions either. Instead they continue implementing daw stuff into Finale.

Notation software makers miss out big on this opportunity.

Now in Samp I think I'm covered, but don't know for sure.
Hope flexible notation software rewiring midi in by the time I might need more features. MusicXml works I guess, but nice to do from within daw.

MuseScore is decent and donationware. But best alternative would be MagicScore but had issues with that playback engine not supporting asio. But really nice to work in.

Great that Studio One v3 Prime has become available :tu:

Version 3.0.2 just came out. It's probably pretty stable now so I may upgrade from version 2 soon.
Studio One 3 – Version History and Release Notes
Version 3.0.2 Release Notes (July 30, 2015):

This document lists all Studio One 3 maintenance updates and their included fixes and improvements.

New features and improvements:

- Reference manual now available in Japanese, German, and French
- Studio One Prime activation support
- Slate RAVEN & various multi-touch improvements
- Focus newly added tracks
- Added command for open/close Arranger Track
- “Show sources” command also working with Multi Instrument
- Audio Pool selection UI improvements

The following issues have been fixed:

- [OS X] crashes on quit
- Send FX divider fixes
- Fader size jumps when opening mix console input or output
- Arranger track did not copy time signatures
- Multi output instrument routing lost after switching song
- Undo for insert time signature

They've also added a nice new VU meter, available as a free add-on. Shows a mini VU in the mixer. Nice touch. Someone posted this pic to the Presonus forum.

The VU meter could use ballistics adjustments and trim, although this is a nice start.
Last edited by billcarroll on Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Numanoid wrote:Great that Studio One v3 Prime has become available :tu:
Basically StudioOne1,2,3 Free but they call it Prime ...... :? Loving my Tracktion 6 ...... :phones:

fedexnman wrote:Basically StudioOne1,2,3 Free but they call it Prime ...... :?
I hope they have included some more sounds for the sampler

Numanoid wrote:
fedexnman wrote:Basically StudioOne1,2,3 Free but they call it Prime ...... :?
I hope they have included some more sounds for the sampler
1.56 gb same as Artist3 but not Pro3 . I like StudioOne believe it or not , but just feel let down with Producer being discontinued .

fedexnman wrote:1.56 gb same as Artist3
Pretty good for free, gonna be downloading it shortly :)

I've got Artist 3 with the audio interface iTwo. I was surprised that it got Mai Tai synth, which is really very nice synth but cpu hog little bit!
I noticed a great addition to the Midi controller or keyboard configuration that you can disable pitch wheel or some other controls. This is great because for example I have this trouble maker Oxygen 49 which is sending pitch bend random msgs. So I can disable it only for the Oxygen but keep using other midi keyboards :)

I love the artist 3. I begin to like 'all black' theme ;)
I also configured the first 128 midi controls for my Blofeld. So I have everything I need with artist 3 really! I use Impact as my main drums and can plug my Casio in as well :D

Anyway, I have version 2 prof. and sure I will upgrade to v3 pro the first discount coming :wink:

Reading latest Future Music issue, Studio One v3 getting a pretty good review, 4 pages, and 9/10 rating

What's most impressive is that Presonus has delivered 2 updates since it came up just a few months ago. They're consistently good at continuing to improve what they put out on a speedy basis (unlike Avid or Apple).

My only bridged synth edit plug, popped and clicked it's unresolved way through the demo period, so that helped in part to make the decision to go back to v2 producer a little easier. I didn't make use of any of the new features and have better synths than mai tai, so I don't regret it.
Whether I stick with v2 long term, knowing there are no more updates, remains to be seen, but for know I'm all good.
Only slight annoyance is having to grab midi files of all v3 songs I wrote seeing as they aren't backwards compatible, but seeing that old flat blue/grey gui again was a surprising sight for sore eyes.
:hihi:
Last edited on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
:dog: :hihi: :lol:

Robmobius wrote:
filter303 wrote:I just installed the new update and I have been testing it for a few hours. So far it doesn't fix any bugs for me. V3 is nothing but a buggy mess on my computer.
I'm having a shedload of problems now with the 3.0.1 update. The 3.0. was working fine with no major hassles.

I salute Presonus who's updates often seem regressive... :roll:
I have Windows 8.1 and the latest update and the only problems I am experiencing,is random bits of my work going missing(a single measure here and there.)
The other problem,is that the new bass instruments going haywire on me,whenever I depress keys in the higher octave range.
I love version 3(glitches aside),but Presonus has a long road ahead of them,in terms of making this version stable for every S1 user.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”