Are we upgrading to Win 10?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What you don't realize is that the critical infrastructure running all sorts of systems world-wide usually doesn't get very carefully reviewed on a change-by-change basis, and the patching of those systems works in exactly the same way.

For example, we rely upon the programmers working on the Linux kernel to make the right choices. The biggest difference is that we can be directly involved in the process, assuming we know enough to actually be involved.

If you don't know what you're talking about, shut up. - could be a Linus quote.

If you want control, run Linux or BSD. If you don't want control, run Windows or OSX. Simple.

You can be a baby all you want, but if you aren't going to man up and actually take control of your system I don't see how you can complain when someone else does it for you.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:What you don't realize is that the critical infrastructure running all sorts of systems world-wide usually doesn't get very carefully reviewed on a change-by-change basis, and the patching of those systems works in exactly the same way.

For example, we rely upon the programmers working on the Linux kernel to make the right choices. The biggest difference is that we can be directly involved in the process, assuming we know enough to actually be involved.

If you don't know what you're talking about, shut up. - could be a Linus quote.

If you want control, run Linux or BSD. If you don't want control, run Windows or OSX. Simple.

You can be a baby all you want, but if you aren't going to man up and actually take control of your system I don't see how you can complain when someone else does it for you.
Linux isn't about control. Its a teen infested insult playground. Your linus quote perfectly illustrates this mentality. Ask a question on a Linux forum and youll often get insulted, youll get called a newb or lazy because you havnt read documentation that you didn't know about. . It isn't about control because their are too many distros. What version? what kernal? what dependancies? - control - no - confusion - yes. Over 200 at the last count. It isn't about control because it dosnt allow you to run the widest range of software. Linux is aimed at the demographic who hate the corporate world. That places most users in the teens to 30 something bracket. Thats not a reason to adopt it. WIth Heartbleed and many other 'sploits out there - its a bit of a anti social misfit. If youre happy with the illusion of control then good luck to you. This thread is about Windows 10.
Last edited by UltraJv on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Confusion for someone who has no idea what they're doing.

For the rest of us, we actually put in effort, years of it to study and become proficient at a task. Then we can just barely begin to come up with things to complain about, however in most cases it turns out those things are entirely justified. We learn that it was our ignorance that was the problem.

Linux isn't "aimed at" anything. Linux is the corporate world.

Take a look if you will at who invests millions of dollars and millions of man-hours into this stuff. It ain't some neckbeard in a basement.

Why does it exist? Control. Serious business requires serious control. Ever heard the phrase "if you want something done right, do it yourself" ?
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

aciddose wrote:Confusion for someone who has no idea what they're doing.

For the rest of us, we actually put in effort, years of it to study and become proficient at a task. Then we can just barely begin to come up with things to complain about, however in most cases it turns out those things are entirely justified. We learn that it was our ignorance that was the problem.

Linux isn't "aimed at" anything. Linux is the corporate world.

Take a look if you will at who invests millions of dollars and millions of man-hours into this stuff. It ain't some neckbeard in a basement.

Why does it exist? Control. Serious business requires serious control. Ever heard the phrase "if you want something done right, do it yourself" ?
Your only proving my point I'm afraid. This thread is about Windows 10.

No, apparently this thread is about your whining that you want control but don't know how to use it.

Nobody is forcing you to do anything. If you're installing this, what the heck is your problem? You're the one who signed up.

UltraJv wrote: Ask a question on a Linux forum and youll often get insulted, youll get called a newb or lazy because you havnt read documentation that you didn't know about.
aciddose wrote:Confusion for someone who has no idea what they're doing.
For the rest of us, we actually put in effort, years of it to study and become proficient at a task.
Point made and reinforced............ :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

So anyway what's the general consensus on Win 10 so far ? I might upgrade my laptop....... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:So anyway what's the general consensus on Win 10 so far ? I might upgrade my laptop....... :shrug:
I upgraded my 10" tablet yesterday and, so far, it's really been a good experience. I haven't tried recording anything on it yet (that's what my iPad is for), but I eventually will and I'll post back my observations. For now: the interface is very touch friendly, if that's your thing.

G

Teksonik wrote:Point made and reinforced............ :tu:
On a Linux forum you'd get a single post reply and it would contain only:
RTFM
I suppose if you argued you might get a response. For example:

"I don't want to read the manual because I don't have time. I just want to be given explicit step-by-step instructions so that I don't have to actually do any work. Essentially I'd like you to do all the work for me entirely for free."

You might get:

"Were you dropped on your head as a child?"

If you have a genuine issue that is hard to solve even for an expert, you'll get a huge amount of effort invested by all sorts of people to help you. If your issue is that you're a lazy entitled little bitch, who didn't bother to read the manual or even type their question into google ...

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

So Linux users are a bunch of assholes ? Ok............. :shrug:

So we got a Linux vs Windows nerd fight ! Whats this " the Big Bang Theory " knock knock knock penny knock knock penny ............................

Photo_G wrote:
Teksonik wrote:So anyway what's the general consensus on Win 10 so far ? I might upgrade my laptop....... :shrug:
I upgraded my 10" tablet yesterday and, so far, it's really been a good experience. I haven't tried recording anything on it yet (that's what my iPad is for), but I eventually will and I'll post back my observations. For now: the interface is very touch friendly, if that's your thing.

G
Thanks. Although I have a bunch of music software on my laptop I rarely use it for anything other that beta testing plugins so if Win 10 turns out to be a flop it won't matter that much.

It's already downloaded I'm just waiting for the go ahead. I could force install but I've seen some problems caused by that so I'll just wait my turn. In the meantime if anyone says "don't do it 10 sucks" I can still back out........

fedexnman wrote:So we got a Linux vs Windows nerd fight ! Whats this " the Big Bang Theory " knock knock knock penny knock knock penny ............................
I've never even tried Linux so couldn't care less but it seems the Linux nerds have a bit of a 'tude........ :shrug:

Teksonik wrote:
fedexnman wrote:So we got a Linux vs Windows nerd fight ! Whats this " the Big Bang Theory " knock knock knock penny knock knock penny ............................
I've never even tried Linux so couldn't care less but it seems the Linux nerds have a bit of a 'tude........ :shrug:
There is a linux musicians ,avlinux ,ardour feed ( on there site), and ubuntu(studio) forums . Those are pretty friendly and helpful . I would love to ditch Windows still , right now I TRY to buy software that is on all platforms ex. Tracktion , Renoise / Redux , U-he maybe next . The NEW...... RME babyface pro and Arturia audiofuse are supposed to cross platform compatible . I dont own Bitwig but its Linux too .

I can understand all the operating system disputes but i'm lazy now and it needs some very careful thoughts how to write about it.
The only thing that generally is worrying me if too much "transparency" would be lead into corruption in a very evil way.

Think about it,somebody is designing/inventing and this may be sensitive data,it just get stolen by claiming a "security check".

Borked english but i don't care atm. :D

Now, i want to say something positive.

I really like Win 10 :wheee: ,the whole installation process almost feels like a successful enthusiastic student project and i think that Microsoft can be proud about it.
The CPU/core distribution is terrific,no hiccups and my 3930k undergoes a renaissance. :hihi:

By the time i will not tweak but customize it,switching off some apps,lets see no hurry for now.

Btw,i wrote this post on Linux. :lol:
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”