Letter to Bitwig: Stop Looking at Ableton for Audio Editing Inspiration

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looks like Apple looked to Bitwig for inspiration because Logic is getting sandboxing this fall.

lol they arent just copying sandboxing.. (which wont be mandatory from what I remember, its something they are giving developers the option to do im pretty sure)
new AUs will support multi-routing aka split frequencies and stuff. Honestly, really stoked about this.
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

qtheerearranger wrote:you realize every DAW has looked at ableton for audio editing inspiration.

From what I know, pretty sure ableton was the first DAW to introduce warp markers and every single DAW does this now because it is such an amazing idea.
Warping and Editing are completely different things.
tooneba wrote:use pro tools... problem solved
:dog:
WXLF wrote:Looks like Apple looked to Bitwig for inspiration because Logic is getting sandboxing this fall.
That's fantastic and exactly my point. Grab the BEST idea from whoever does it best. Bitwig is not one to shy from doing that. My main point is that because they come from Logic and Ableton backgrounds they they're not borrowing from the DAW that did and still has the best Audio Editing.

Geek Model wrote:Folks am i understand right that this new browser created to replace "Quick Add" window? :/
Yes

qtheerearranger wrote: From what I know, pretty sure ableton was the first DAW to introduce warp markers and every single DAW does this now because it is such an amazing idea.

Word!

kygo___ wrote:
Geek Model wrote:Folks am i understand right that this new browser created to replace "Quick Add" window? :/
Yes
Bitwig becomes more and more cluttered :/

Geek Model wrote:
kygo___ wrote:
Yes
Bitwig becomes more and more cluttered :/
This is relative. Is the quick add window cluttered? I know with 1.2 and the browser I can press 3 keys and have the device in a track, that window was static and sometimes didn't or could not have enough room to display everything you wanted to see, or get rid of what you didn't want to see.

The new browser quickly filters on VST, so I don't see how you take this as cluttered, maybe Bitwig will introduce a right click quick filter popup in the future, it could be a feature request, since the foundation is laid.

The new browser whether it is interpreted as big and clunky right now is totally a step int he right direction for managing huge amounts of presets, VSTs and devices, especially when the modular editor is opened and we have our own huge library.

Mike
Michael Schmalle
http://www.teotigraphix.com
Surfing on sine waves

Maschine4Bitwig - Studio, MK2, MikroMK2, MK1
http://www.teotigraphix.com/bitwig/maschine

Thnx for reply, Mike ;) Anyway i think that first i need to use 1.2 by myself and only then will be my 100% opinion about new browser and etc. But things that i saw on screenshots of 1.2 told me that i don't need this feature. I just need customizable "Quick add" window. That's all. I don't use presets and don't have many VSTs. I really can't understand what is supa-drupa feature about this new browser because we already have one!

There's nothing wrong with Abletons audio editing if you ask me.
I always hated Protools and Logic for it's destructive audio editing.
Having to save the file before editing.

I have never felt the need to edit a wav in bitwig more than can be done already. I dont need more personally. Not to mention audio clip editing in Bitwig blows Live's audio clip editing away imo.

Geek Model wrote:Thnx for reply, Mike ;) Anyway i think that first i need to use 1.2 by myself and only then will be my 100% opinion about new browser and etc. But things that i saw on screenshots of 1.2 told me that i don't need this feature. I just need customizable "Quick add" window. That's all. I don't use presets and don't have many VSTs. I really can't understand what is supa-drupa feature about this new browser because we already have one!
Thats what the new browser is. With the custom collections it can be setup as a "Customizable "Quick add" window". And it's a supa-dupa insane fast workflow! At least for me it is...

Thanks once again! ;)

P.S.: Hate this little alien icon.. Hope that will be deleted in official release :/ Looks so cartoonish!

owensands wrote:
Geek Model wrote:Thnx for reply, Mike ;) Anyway i think that first i need to use 1.2 by myself and only then will be my 100% opinion about new browser and etc. But things that i saw on screenshots of 1.2 told me that i don't need this feature. I just need customizable "Quick add" window. That's all. I don't use presets and don't have many VSTs. I really can't understand what is supa-drupa feature about this new browser because we already have one!
Thats what the new browser is. With the custom collections it can be setup as a "Customizable "Quick add" window". And it's a supa-dupa insane fast workflow! At least for me it is...

That is by far the best DAW browser I've seen and it's just version 1!

PHY6 wrote:There's nothing wrong with Abletons audio editing if you ask me.
I always hated Protools and Logic for it's destructive audio editing.
Having to save the file before editing.
Have you used a feature like "Tab To Transients," do you know what the "S" and "D" shortcuts do in Pro Tools, what "F," "G" or "H" do for your fading workflow. The incredibly accurate zooming power of "R" and "T." How about jumping around your tracks with "P" and ";"?

Anyone who actually knows what I'm talking about will be able to imagine that power combined with things like dragging audio from the arrange to a Drum Rack or Sampler and see a blueprint for how Pro Tools can really live up to it's former glory. Like he said in the interview, you can accomplish the same thing in all DAWS, the innovation now lies in workflow. That's why things like Machine, Komplete Kontrol, Akai Advanced, Ableton Push etc are being made. That's why Bitwig itself exists, to offer a better workflow.

Like I said, if you haven't used Pro Tools extensively you will not know what you're missing. Unfortunately in the case of the Bitwig developers that's a shame because from what I'm seeing they're really about the best idea but when it comes to Audio Editing workflow, Ableton and Logic are not even close and they're honestly terrible points of reference for audio editing specifically.

People, STOP look like... people

Return to “Bitwig”