One Synth Challenge #77: Charlatan (Taron wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan

https://soundcloud.com/mtle-1/mtle-them ... alk-part-7

Subtitle: Hot Summer Nights (Live Mix)
One Synth Challenge #77: Charlatan V2

"Themes from Mindwalk" is a series of new tracks based on one of my old Mods from 1996. The original "Mindwalk" track contanis some melodies I want to rearrange to separate songs.
This is Part 7 / 12. All parts will be done in One Synth Challenge 2015

DAWs (so far)
ProTracker (1996 - original Sample based Track)
OpenMPT (2013 - Converting Amiga Mod to Midi),
Reaper (now - complete new Track based on taken melody line(s))

89 instances of Charlatan V2

Used Plugins

DAW:
ReaEQ , ReaComp , ReaVerbate, ReaDelay, midi_transpose, delay_pong,

3rd Party:
LimiterNo6 , TAL Dub Delay , TAL Dub III , TAL Reverb II , TAL Bitcrucher, TAL Filter 2, MSED , BootEQmkII

Master:
ReaEQ, TLs Maximizer, ReaXComp (2x), AnSpec, MSED, SPAN, masterlimiter, rbj12eq-teej, np1136peaklimiter, D2, gfxscope

Sorry for DR6

Here's my tune:

https://soundcloud.com/nedk-1/one-foot-in-nowhere

63 Charlatan's
Made in Reaper
Loudmax. dLm sixtyfive a, ReaComp, ReaXcomp, RoughRider, Sleepytime Transient, TDR Kotelnikov, Limiter 6, MJUC jr.,
Abstract Chamber, Ambience, Dimension Expander, ReaDelay, Twin Delay
mda roundpan, Tal Bitcrusher, Multiplier, GMonoBass, GMulti, ReaEQ, BC Triple EQ 4

Track is made entirely with the free Charlatan vsti. Not a perfect mix and has a few rough transitions. I also had quite a time fixing the project file and experienced total audio drop outs atleast 20 times. Had to find the culprit each time and then stream the entire instance. At streaming time the entire track had considerable clipping. Almost 5-10 db was added to the final stream for some reason. Had to stream with edison insided fl studio which only allows 5 minutes of total stream. So for a 9 minute track this involves streaming twich and piecing the two together afterwards... Looking forward to fixing this up quite a bit in the future though as it has some really good elements in it and quite a few others too, which might in fact detract from the overall mix. I'm well aware that there are some bad transitins as well as each lead goes immidiately into the next with no time in between to focus on the drum parts which is what I wanted in the final mix. All in all, I guess just try to enjoy it for what it is though there were a few times I was thinking of just deleting it from the osc this round. It's a nice sound with some potential that I feel is left short with this hurried mix.

https://soundcloud.com/majestic_dawn/tj ... an-osc-mix

107 instances of Charlatan
Orion Compressors, Limiters, Reverbs, Low Cut, Analog Equalizers
Karma Fx Delay
Tal Reverb 3
Melda Eq
Melda Compressor
Lazy Kenneth
Flux Bittersweet
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Voted!

Voted.

Voted.

Voted.

Voted.

No runaways this month folks. This one is wide open. Gave out 9 5s including one for one of the most unusual synth programming jobs I've ever heard from a free synth.

Great job ecset!

Still can't believe the sounds he got out of this thing.

Good luck to everybody!

Didn't make it this month, very cool synth indeed but my composition was just nowhere so it has been abandoned for now.

Still will make some time to listen to the entries tho.

Best of luck to all :)

Hmmm...ecset didn't really get any astounding sounds out of Charlatan, but had very solid glitch mixing. :shrug:
Doc Jon got some amazing sound design going that brought out the potential of Charlatan. Granted, the song was a little too laid back, but 5 pnts for understanding of sound design and musicality for sure!

This time around I went for musicality and ingenuity in my judging, but not for loudness with more or less choreographed mayhem. Although mixing is super important to let a track shine, there has to be a track that can shine to begin with. Yah, there are days when one wants to bang his head against walls and other opportune surfaces :bang:, but- although I might have had some this month, too- I preferred enjoying the music instead. :phones:

This month did have a number of beautifully musical tracks and it was a pleasure listening to them completely. :tu:
I can't ever get tired of that, but I'm already pretty tired of the twitchy indulgences. I do admire the patience and dedication of those, who keep making those again and again. At the same time, I can feel too much how the mix itself becomes a preset of sorts...like no love is lost there anymore, no matter how excellent it might be. (Oddly enough, the more I understand- whilst still being far away from mastering it- the less I can judge, whether it really is excellence I'm hearing! I just know that "loud" doesn't equal "good or enjoyable")

I apologize, if I'm too open with my thoughts, but there is so much artistry here, I would want to shake everyone a little to come awake again and communicate with their creation rather than just making some basic gymnastics routine. You all have so much power! Use it consciously and find where you might want to grow some more, find your flaws and exploit them! At least that is what I'm doing and I'm loving it! :hyper:

On a slight tangent.....Still continuing to work with Charlatan, I discovered a great compainion for her.

http://tal-software.com/products/tal-chorus-lx

I know it seems like a no brainer to add a chorus but these two really sound good together are both dead simple and cpu friendly.

Try it out

Comments and voting ..coming soon

H-man wrote:Didn't make it this month, very cool synth indeed but my composition was just nowhere so it has been abandoned for now.

Still will make some time to listen to the entries tho.

Best of luck to all :)
Yeah, missed your contribution, what a pity! I'd have given you a composition from me, if you wanted ;) Lots of those lying around and would've been exciting to see what you'd make of them with your synthesis skills and creativity :hyper:

btw, voted. Was a bit stricter than usual, no five points and more twos and ones.
I kind of agree with Taron, after a couple of months of OSC (with a break) i feel that there's a lot of routine going on and i kinda wish more people tried to operate outside of their comfort zone. It's OSC, everything's possible! Of course I am very much caught in my own musical world, too, so maybe I should shut up and try some Psy-Fi Glitch-Goa Hyper-Trance piece for a change next time, but of course that'd be a total failure... Maybe some "Industrial Jazz". Hmm.

fese wrote:btw, voted. Was a bit stricter than usual, no five points and more twos and ones.
I kind of agree with Taron, after a couple of months of OSC (with a break) i feel that there's a lot of routine going on and i kinda wish more people tried to operate outside of their comfort zone. It's OSC, everything's possible! Of course I am very much caught in my own musical world, too, so maybe I should shut up and try some Psy-Fi Glitch-Goa Hyper-Trance piece for a change next time, but of course that'd be a total failure... Maybe some "Industrial Jazz". Hmm.
Here's the problem with that. Every month that I've entered, I've done something different and all outside my comfort zone. And every month I finished near the bottom of the pack.

You can't expect people to go outside their comfort zone if you're making this a contest and giving out prizes. It's essentially asking them to just forfeit any chance of winning.

That's the problem with contests with prizes and why I don't like them.

My 2 cents for whatever they're worth.

Well for me personally I like OSC because it's getting me making some music which I rarely get time to do these days (considering that's all I used to do). I still can't afford as much time as I'd like for it but I'm not trying to win, just have some fun. Some of you put so much work into the tracks it's amazing and shows!

Half way through voting so far and there is some great stuff this month, I'm enjoying!

Return to “Instruments”