One Synth Challenge #77: Charlatan (Taron wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan

Oberheim 8000 wrote:This is my first voting, must I vote my track? Or how it is going? I read rules but not mentioned about voting own track.
You must give your own track 1 point.

I do enjoy these little debates in OSC :D
Speaking for myself, every OSC is outside of my 'comfort zone' I have no prior musical experience, played no instruments, never been in a band, or produced for others, never worked in the music industry, and had absolutely no formal training etc. :oops: I've simply been developing this obsession for creating computer music, through a love of both computers and music! I have collected records for many years now and love many styles including pop, rock, dance, indie, folk, classical, soundtrack etc. the list goes on.

The OSC is for me an opportunity to experiment and try to emulate some of these styles which I love. Trying to be mainstream or popular is just not an issue. I want to do something different every time.

I find my best results have come from experimenting with and learning how best to use each synth, and trying to discover its personality. This informs what comes out ;)

I love to listen to what others here have been able to do with the same synth. :clap: The display of skills and ideas is awesome and inspiring, and I am quite sure I have not heard anything very 'routine'. We're all at different levels of skill and ability - part of what makes this so much fun :)

RichardSemper wrote:
Oberheim 8000 wrote:This is my first voting, must I vote my track? Or how it is going? I read rules but not mentioned about voting own track.
You must give your own track 1 point.
Thanks

as I see, I can change my vote. I did. changed the order, and pressed a refresh. is it ok? thanx.

RichardSemper wrote:I do enjoy these little debates in OSC :D
Speaking for myself, every OSC is outside of my 'comfort zone' I have no prior musical experience, played no instruments, never been in a band, or produced for others, never worked in the music industry, and had absolutely no formal training etc. :oops: I've simply been developing this obsession for creating computer music, through a love of both computers and music! I have collected records for many years now and love many styles including pop, rock, dance, indie, folk, classical, soundtrack etc. the list goes on.

The OSC is for me an opportunity to experiment and try to emulate some of these styles which I love. Trying to be mainstream or popular is just not an issue. I want to do something different every time.

I find my best results have come from experimenting with and learning how best to use each synth, and trying to discover its personality. This informs what comes out ;)

I love to listen to what others here have been able to do with the same synth. :clap: The display of skills and ideas is awesome and inspiring, and I am quite sure I have not heard anything very 'routine'. We're all at different levels of skill and ability - part of what makes this so much fun :)
If this is the case then you are naturally extremely talented because I've been listening to your stuff since I've been doing these (granted not that long) and it is excellent. I am pretty sure I've always given you 4s and 5s.

And that's just the way it is. Some people are naturally very talented while others, like myself, have very little talent. Music has been a struggle for me my whole life and that's with a college degree. Pretty sad when you think about it.

The only thing that keeps me at it is my love for music. Otherwise, I would have given up a long time ago in 1979 when I wrote my first song and it was God awful. When I say God awful I mean God awful. My own mother used to say to me "Steven, you have to get off the merry-go-round." My songs were just an endless drone of notes that went nowhere.

Had I any talent at all, I think after 36 years I might have at least had some success in the business. All I have to show for all my efforts is one published song (a fluke if you ask me) and a finalist showing in an Internet song contest.

Big woop.

But like I said, my love for music makes it impossible for me to give up, as much as I have tried many times. When Vocaloid for Cubase finally comes out in the US (it's supposed to be this year) I am going to concentrate on making the best vocal demos that I can and hope that maybe I can finally get something going.

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. You're very talented and I have a lot of respect for what you've been able to do.

@wagtunes :oops: thank you :oops:

I meant to speak out for all those putting in a bit more effort than some people's comments were implying, but as usual I come across a bit self involved.

You really have some great ideas in your entries so far, don't put yourself down so much. Keep on plugging away and I'm sure it will come for you :)

ecset wrote:as I see, I can change my vote. I did. changed the order, and pressed a refresh. is it ok? thanx.
Should be fine :tu:

Haven't voted yet... but sense everyone else is speaking their personal experiences, I feel I should as well.

Before when I've tried to "compete" in OSC... I was really trying to win prizes. I stretched & stretched my limits cause even though I've made a lot of music in my time, I usually go the easy way and use a lot for samples for instruments. I'm still a sampler junky and love working with the right one for a project. However, after hearing others projects, learning more, reading more, experimenting more and just getting older I find that not only having a limited mindset but also competing for the sake of competing hinders more than it helps. Music should come from the heart... the challenge is how to make your heart sing with limited tools. This has been the practice of music since the beginning of time. Putting things in that perspective gets you to take your ideas together in your head way more differently. Once you lose the desire to win you win the desire of freedom... then the limitations that are imposed really don't become a factor.

Sorry if I sound like I live in a clubhouse with no deodorant and take LSD to escape reality (lol) but really having an open mind and just listening to how others use one tool is really a great idea. I now find myself looking at my music very differently... not only equipment-wise but also from a standpoint of production and composition. And anything that helps in composition is a plus when you really "get" it. Using the simplicity a single synth and actually exploring it's depths to create what you want is quite liberating. I'm learning from all of OSC's entries how to let the sounds breathe. Although all of my music is hip-hop tinged.. I listen an absorb anything that I like. I'm learning to let the music take more of a natural course and all listeners and my myself are happier with the results.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

A bit out of topic. Maybe not.
I'm thinking of a separation (not a divorce :)) from the contest.
I found a place where I can express myself by participating in what others
already created. You choose the mix you like, download it, add your part and upload a new mix.
Maybe it's the place for some of you. I wish I discovered it earlier.

http://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-46255.php

Sorry for shameless self-promotion. :oops:
Last edited by sfiks on Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Astralp wrote:sorry, corrected, not sure how that happened.. (well ok I have had a few beers..)
:hihi:

Saukar30 wrote:Haven't voted yet... but sense everyone else is speaking their personal experiences, I feel I should as well.

Before when I've tried to "compete" in OSC... I was really trying to win prizes. I stretched & stretched my limits cause even though I've made a lot of music in my time, I usually go the easy way and use a lot for samples for instruments. I'm still a sampler junky and love working with the right one for a project. However, after hearing others projects, learning more, reading more, experimenting more and just getting older I find that not only having a limited mindset but also competing for the sake of competing hinders more than it helps. Music should come from the heart... the challenge is how to make your heart sing with limited tools. This has been the practice of music since the beginning of time. Putting things in that perspective gets you to take your ideas together in your head way more differently. Once you lose the desire to win you win the desire of freedom... then the limitations that are imposed really don't become a factor.

Sorry if I sound like I live in a clubhouse with no deodorant and take LSD to escape reality (lol) but really having an open mind and just listening to how others use one tool is really a great idea. I now find myself looking at my music very differently... not only equipment-wise but also from a standpoint of production and composition. And anything that helps in composition is a plus when you really "get" it. Using the simplicity a single synth and actually exploring it's depths to create what you want is quite liberating. I'm learning from all of OSC's entries how to let the sounds breathe. Although all of my music is hip-hop tinged.. I listen an absorb anything that I like. I'm learning to let the music take more of a natural course and all listeners and my myself are happier with the results.
Right on sir, totally the right attitude, and btw, Love what you submit here.

voted.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

RichardSemper wrote:I do enjoy these little debates in OSC :D

Awesome Richard

You make some great stuff. You should be proud

Cheers

ecset wrote:as I see, I can change my vote. I did. changed the order, and pressed a refresh. is it ok? thanx.

Only if I increased in standing.

I'm done with OSC, deleted my track.

Return to “Instruments”