Windows 10; who has made the jump?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not upgrading until Steinberg, 2cAudio, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Soundtoys, u-he, ValhallaDSP and of course Bitwig all come out and say their stuff works on 10.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

my soundcard works fine : it's firewire... (there just a software mixer)

everything works fine, perfect....

Windows 10 is "soft".

just my nvidia driver takes years to install so i go to bed....
night life...
sry but i can't talk alone.

My biggest concern is the Driver for the Audio Interface....
is anybody using Motu Ultralite mk3 Firewire on Windows 10???
Everyone knows more than I do...

For those that might be interested, I upgraded yesterday so here's a kind of "run down" of what happened. The tl;dr version is "Besides a couple of problems after install, everything is great".

4790k @4.4ghz / 16 gig ram / dual SSD boot in striped RAID with a couple of regular HD's for mass storage.

PRE UPGRADE
Like everyone else, I had the reserved thing appear a while back, it stated that my system was compatible with Windows 10. When the 29th came I saw that windows update was downloading Windows 10. Once it had finished, I started the upgrade. It took 3 reboots and roughly 20 minutes for it to complete. There were lots of "cute" messages during the whole process.

POST UPGRADE
After it had finished I was surprised to see that several devices on my system no longer had drivers installed, one of which was my network adapter (Audio was fine though). So I had to download the latest driver on my phone and copy it across....

It turns out that my motherboard (Gigabyte) is missing a few drivers for windows 10 currently, I just wish that the Windows 10 compatibility program had let me know of this prior to doing the upgrade. Luckily, my system seems to run fine anyway.

Other than that, the upgrade went super smooth.

MY THOUGHTS ABOUT WINDOWS 10

Well, so far, I really like it. It's certainly very responsive and smooth, and it has many new features that are nice. I've had no problems with Bitwig, but several plug-ins have needed reinstalling (which is probably due to copy protections and nothing to do with Windows).
There's certainly much fun to be had playing with Cortana. Now I can just scream at my computer to load Bitwig Studio instead of all that infernal clicking business ;) WASAPI seemed to work much better than my previous Windows 7 install. I was able to run at 32 samples with a decent load on the CPU without any drop outs or anything. For those interested here's an article about what Windows 10 will mean for the audio world.

Overall, I really like everything and for a launch of a new OS it went VERY smoothly (at least in my case and a few of my friends). No complaints from me here (yet!) ;)
Formally known as CnuTram.

hello !

i solved my nvidia driver stuck at install with this :

http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display ... ad,20.html

now all seems ok.

edit: got cliks.... changed buffer...
night life...

(edit: i think he changed my firewire latency to low when i use high ...)

->

NAH sreriously, this windows 10 is at point.

fast, softly, clearl.... (f**k m$ but they do better than lasts.... it's not linux OK !)

->

ALL JUST WORKS SIMPLY, like a little update.

->

u need to delete GFX drivers and install bnew win10's ones like i posted yest"erday in the topik just here ^...

NOW LETS GET DEEP in the "CORE"..... :)

IT OCCUPY YOUR NETWORK CONECTION !!! ----------->

on win 8, u could switch from "modernUI-metro tablet interface" to "desktop classic one..."

->

now on windows 10, it's all mixed in "START MENU"... i finnaly conbcluded that's why my internet conection is busy : so u maybe need to unactive some "squares" real-time updated.....

(u'll get faster conections i gguess, i gonna set it up right now.)

->

the only one programm that does not work on win10 is :

m$ money 2005 :

it needs internet explorer 6 (edit: the WEB UI) at least....

(when windows 10 deleted it & replaced it with M$ EDGE......)

so that was not working but them guyz posted this solution :

https://techjourney.net/microsoft-money ... indows-10/

so now it's fine.

-
night life...

So far it seems to me that if you don't use the windows standard software and the gimmicks like cortana, but 3rd party explorer (f.i. XYplorer), browser (Vivaldi), startmenu (Classic Shell), mail & calender (Postbox), mediaplayer (VLC/Resonic), imageviewer (XNview) etc. it's quite usable and fast and privacy should be halfways decent (although worse than with Windows 8 ).

One should take care to disable all the privacy intrusions microsoft thinks are cool, uninstall/disable all the MS apps that can be uninstalled, remove the rest from the start page, disable all the live-tile-crap and go through all settings to make sure that everything unneeded is disabled, including file indexing and it should be decent for a DAW, although a certain uncertainty will remain what the system is doing now or in the future.

I guess over time there will be tools to remove/disable some of the stuff you can't directly.

Overall I'm unsure if I'll go with MS vision of the future or not. Making the update "free" has a funny smell in this case and binding the license to a certain hardware is also weird, since I don't know exactly what they will interpret as a "new hardware".
You don't get a serial for the "free" update...

And since you can't really prevent automatic updates, they can basically push to the system whatever they like.
Only time will tell what the real idea to make money is...

Probably I'll do a parallel installation so I can fall back to Windows 8.1 if they turn funny on the user.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote:So far it seems to me that if you don't use the windows standard software and the gimmicks like cortana, but 3rd party explorer (f.i. XYplorer), browser (Vivaldi), startmenu (Classic Shell), mail & calender (Postbox), mediaplayer (VLC/Resonic), imageviewer (XNview) etc. it's quite usable and fast and privacy should be halfways decent (although worse than with Windows 8 ).

One should take care to disable all the privacy intrusions microsoft thinks are cool, uninstall/disable all the MS apps that can be uninstalled, remove the rest from the start page, disable all the live-tile-crap and go through all settings to make sure that everything unneeded is disabled, including file indexing and it should be decent for a DAW, although a certain uncertainty will remain what the system is doing now or in the future.

I guess over time there will be tools to remove/disable some of the stuff you can't directly.

Overall I'm unsure if I'll go with MS vision of the future or not. Making the update "free" has a funny smell in this case and binding the license to a certain hardware is also weird, since I don't know exactly what they will interpret as a "new hardware".

And since you can't really prevent automatic updates, they can basically push to the system whatever they like.

Probably I'll do a parallel installation so I can fall back to Windows 8.1 if they turn funny on the user.

Cheers,

Tom
even i love my private life ^^

so "SPY ME I'M NOT A BANDIT !!!" :hyper:

lol

u know i don't think this... even i know how to pass through..

edit: OOHwww... !

windows 98 SE and XP were good too... (would like to go 30 years last to know again commodore's "workbench"...t)
night life...

ThomasHelzle wrote:So far it seems to me that if you don't use the windows standard software and the gimmicks like cortana, but 3rd party explorer (f.i. XYplorer), browser (Vivaldi), startmenu (Classic Shell), mail & calender (Postbox), mediaplayer (VLC/Resonic), imageviewer (XNview) etc. it's quite usable and fast and privacy should be halfways decent (although worse than with Windows 8 ).

Cheers,

Tom
Tom we'r in "FREE-to-try" times u know it lol ;)

but why not moving if it's free and better ?

they make money with windows phone apps now.. i dont believe they'll make windows FREE if they were not betting on xbox/winphones.

ina way... it's legit also. u can always cut your net connection if u became paranoid too..

f**king world wars hard times is it , right ?

we are 50 years late on what scientists done already..... in all manner, u'll see what they want u see.. :))))

-> edit: we were talking about limits in progress of technology those days.... micro-techs nano techs ......

if there's life and it's non-destructive.
night life...

ThomasHelzle wrote: Overall I'm unsure if I'll go with MS vision of the future or not...

Cheers, Tom
Personal information is mined and sold like uranium.
Something will go 'bump' in the night, and your win 8.1 partition
will have been renamed: :evil: AYDABTU :evil:

:hihi: all your data are belong to us :hihi:

glokraw wrote:Personal information is mined and sold like uranium.
Yep, that is definitely the case.
A new currency is born...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

I have upgraded from Win 7 so was quite shocked at the level of personal information needed to use some of the apps. Now, as far as Microsoft is concerned, I am Wilma Flintstone of Bedrock City. Can't wait to get targetted advertising trying to sell me a new elephant vacuum cleaner. ;)

Otherwise, most things appear to be working. I did have some issues with my Audio Interface drivers. The focusrite 6i6 was crackling badly using the previous beta drivers, though switching back to a stable release appears to have cured it.

The only other thing I have found is that I had to disable display scaling on high DPI settings in the program compatibility, otherwise 1.1.10 launches in potato quality with fuzzy graphics and low resolution.

Yeah, display scaling was always wonky on Windows, but now they made it totally useless.
My old eyes don't thank them for this.
In this day and age this feels like a strange move.
Not sure how they plan to address high DPI displays now?

This one is quite to the point on privacy:
https://fix10.isleaked.com

Don't use the Windows apps.

Cheers,

Tom

:dog: I'm glad I'm on Mac now

Ogopogo wrote::dog: I'm glad I'm on Mac now
Why?

Return to “Bitwig”