Admiral Quality Poly-ana offers custom skinning (and win a free license)!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Poly-Ana

Norbz wrote:I see. If you are his voice, you can post the issues on his behalf?
Ok here goes........

QUOTE:

"Next time you're in there you might want to tell Norbz that it's looking nice, but he's totally f'ed up the control labels in a lot of places.

Just at first glance...

- Osc FM Mod Sources are labeled AM, making two AMs.

- PH(ase) and DEST labels on the Oscs appear swapped - no, wait - superimposed! WTF? LOL!

- The DM/WFM and PWM/PM mode switches on the oscillators are centered, making it not clear they only apply to the two mod sources on the left. (A cool way to treat this would be if the switch was under the Mod Source/Amount section, and changed its label! It's too bad I had to put these in anyway, I hope to take them out in Poly-Ana 2.x, providing 2 more Mods for each osc, one more for the filters, and one more for the amps. It was done originally to keep the CPU usage down, as well as to save screen real-estate. I've already determined that I can make the 2.x voice add these and yet still read the old 1.x patches though!)

- The envelope velocity knobs have lost the word "VEL" on all but the first one, making them conflict in apparent meaning with the ADSR knobs. (Maybe label that whole section could be labeled VEL?) Also, the R-Vel button only applies to the Vel R-Time knobs. That's why they were next to each other originally. At the very least a line connecting them would be appropriate.

- The square buttons are fine but they don't change in brightness, just color, making them impossible to see for some people. (A surprising 8 percent of males are color blind!) Odd in an otherwise all monochrome interface. A darker off state and/or some surrounding glow effect when on (which is too cool to not use, really) would go a long way towards making them more visible.

- Strange inconsistency in font, size, color and border in the section labels.

I'm sure there's more. Changing the labels positions is one thing, but rewording them... that implies you have a deep understanding of this synth architecture and Norbs clearly doesn't. I'd never accept one like this for the contest. But would if stuff like that could be fixed. (As well, pretending Mod Source dials don't exist will disqualify you. All designs must support both modes. But they don't have to be big dials. You could make a control that fits into the very tiny area he's left for the Source dropdowns.)

I really wish he'd contact me. It would save him a lot of time. I don't know why almost nobody has. The Skins page invites them to. And I'm quite willing to help with tricky issues. Again, I *want* winning skins to come in but, as is, this isn't one yet. If he can address the above though..."

"- Another thing I don't like, KEY TRACK has become KEY, which isn't very informative. TRACK would be better (who's to say your controller even has keys? :) )

- He's also separated the Mod Source and Amount controls in the Amp sections. They should *always* have the same positional relationship to each other everywhere they're used, to keep from driving the user crazy.

- But one fatal flaw that's going to destroy the whole design. He made the knobs go only 270 degrees instead of 300. (At least as far as I can tell. This is SUCH a tiny interface.) If only he had bothered to read the instructions and contact me (which was one of the instructions).

- Osc 3's sync should be labeled Osc 2 sync, not 1. (They sync in a chain. Another thing only Poly-Ana can do! I very nearly allowed them to sync in a loop but it was too easy to make a sound that didn't make any sound.)

- Also, Sat and DC cut aren't "Q" (presumably Quality) controls, they're simulation controls, of which Quality is only one of them.

People think I made this up randomly but in fact every single thing was an intentional, conscious decision and a trade off against less desirable options."

"I just hate to see people putting wasted effort into skins that I'll have to reject if they submit them. That's why I invited anyone interested in doing it to contact me early in their process on the Skins page."

END QUOTE

So you sending a simple e-mail to Admiral Quality would have been much better....... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

^ All of the above is actually easily addressable and expected as a passback when designing from scratch again. Sending an email would still have made me try to save space, reword stuff, re-position stuff until I got feedback like above :).

Everything is photoshop and editable, I think that Mike expects people to simply get this monster right the first time which is impossible and sorry Mike but your labels/layout might be amazing for you/your eyes/your brain, but there is a TON of repetition on your UI (the words AMOUNT/SOURCE/etc are repeated unnecessarily so you do have to give some leeway to designers to do some passbacks with you if you want to get the most out of our creativity and problem solving abilities.

We'll address all of these on the next passback, and other designers will be able to solve a few of these in their own creative ways too that might upset you but I'm not a Poly user, I'm simply trying to make it look better/be laid out better/and take less time to familiarize an end user with it. The first skin you provided has fonts all done in PDF/AI and they are TINY/uneditable, you guys could have saved skinners the time as well if you provided an ACTUAL source file with labels that I can grab/move/edit vs redoing from scratch. I made all those fonts/sizes/treatments a bit different to see how they will look not as a final (which you guys can finalize or other designers can try variations of easily now).

Also not to be a dick, but Mike you're acting as if this is my privilege to do this and I should be honored for the chance to reskin your baby and submit to your contest like it's a million dollar prize - this is something I charge a ton of money for normally and am doing it for nothing, don't even want the license/win the contest just doing it for karma and a design break/challenge where you'll have the ability to have other designers do skins fast from here vs your template/pdf/ai. This is one confusing and mega jam packed UI, if you the creator confused me the designer with your labels this many times, that say's something about the original setup.

One last edit: The knobs are done at 365 as per your instructions, not sure where you're getting 270, did you try the actual skin in a live mode? Dials turn all the way as you've instructed.

:)
Last edited by Norbz on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Get All My Free Plugins/Packs/Etc...
>> http://www.toneden.io/lofiradio >> :phones:

double post..

rasmusklump wrote:The skins from norbz would be fantastic if they hadn't this 3D stuff going on in the background.
The skins from norbz actually look fantastic with that 3D stuff :smack:

I especially love the last one ;-) Hope someone gives the guy a help with the XML (maybe AQ himself... personally, with a dress like this, I am tempted to buy Poly-Ana).
Fernando (FMR)

Echoes in the Attic wrote: It would look aspecially good I bet with the dropdown box second from the left (the one to the right of the original):
Norbz wrote: Image
+ 1 That dropdown box looks god AND looks like a dropdown box :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

Norbz wrote:
Also not to be a dick, but Mike you're acting as if this is my privilege to do this and I should be honored for the chance to reskin your baby and submit to your contest like it's a million dollar prize - this is something I charge a ton of money for normally and am doing it for nothing, don't even want the license/win the contest just doing it for karma and a design break/challenge where you'll have the ability to have other designers do skins fast from here vs your template/pdf/ai.
See this is the kind of stuff that could be discussed by e-mailing Mike. You know he can't respond here so there is no way to set up a dialog. It would have taken you the same amount of time to e-mail him directly as it did for you to post here.......... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

fmr wrote:personally, with a dress like this, I am tempted to buy Poly-Ana).
That's what I've been waiting to hear.......... :tu:

For years people complained about Poly-Ana's gui. Now we have a chance to fix those things that caused the complaints so where are those people now ? I know it will take time but patience is not my strong point..... :P

Teksonik wrote:
fmr wrote:personally, with a dress like this, I am tempted to buy Poly-Ana).
That's what I've been waiting to hear.......... :tu:

For years people complained about Poly-Ana's gui. Now we have a chance to fix those things that caused the complaints so where are those people now ? I know it will take time but patience is not my strong point..... :P
I'm here, but I will not buy until I see a working skin I feel like I want to use. BTW: If norbz comes with a full-functioning skin, will I be able to try it with a demo/trial?
Fernando (FMR)

Teksonik wrote:
Norbz wrote:
Also not to be a dick, but Mike you're acting as if this is my privilege to do this and I should be honored for the chance to reskin your baby and submit to your contest like it's a million dollar prize - this is something I charge a ton of money for normally and am doing it for nothing, don't even want the license/win the contest just doing it for karma and a design break/challenge where you'll have the ability to have other designers do skins fast from here vs your template/pdf/ai.
See this is the kind of stuff that could be discussed by e-mailing Mike. You know he can't respond here so there is no way to set up a dialog. It would have taken you the same amount of time to e-mail him directly as it did for you to post here.......... :shrug:
Cheers, I understand.

However this is a group effort from here, and I'm hoping ppl can pitch in as this is silly to expect one person to do the creative right brain stuff and the logistic left brain stuff without a hickup. When a group of users and designers can see the dialogue you get a much faster end result where everyone is happy (most importantly end users - I also design plugins and many times I've found my thinking does not jive with end users and I give them what they want).

I understand Mike might be frustrated that it's not there yet - tell him this is all work in progress and his feedback is important for the group not just me.

Norbz wrote:
Teksonik wrote:
Norbz wrote:
Cheers, I understand.

However this is a group effort from here, and I'm hoping ppl can pitch in as this is silly to expect one person to do the creative right brain stuff and the logistic left brain stuff without a hickup. When a group of users and designers can see the dialogue you get a much faster end result where everyone is happy (most importantly end users - I also design plugins and many times I've found my thinking does not jive with end users and I give them what they want).

I understand Mike might be frustrated that it's not there yet - tell him this is all work in progress and his feedback is important for the group not just me.
Teksonik, will it be too much to ask you to simply quote Admiral answers and remarks here?

I agree with Norbz that we all gain by contributing to the final result.
Fernando (FMR)

Your skins are looking good, Norbz! Thanks for your effort here. :)
A well-behaved signature.

Yeah I was never under the impression that this was a final. Just one possible intermediate step which others can make use of. Let's keep going.

fmr wrote: Teksonik, will it be too much to ask you to simply quote Admiral answers and remarks here?
I'm getting it from both sides. Obviously trying to communicate by copy/paste parts of several e-mails a day is not the most efficient method. So it's not as simple as you would imagine. Some parts of certain e-mails have nothing to do with skinning. What would be simple is if Mike could post at KVR again but I have no control over that..........

I've been saying since this thread started that anyone who is working on a skin should work directly with Mike. That is the most efficient method of communication. This is from the Skins FAQ page that I guess no one has read:

"So please, if you're embarking on a new skin project and you hope to earn a license for it, contact us early and show us some previews of your work; maybe a mockup or partial mockup of the full GUI. Then we can let you know early on whether we think you're going in a direction with it that we'll be interested in sharing, and help guide you towards a look and feel that we can both be proud to share here."

EDIT: For the record I'm not affiliated with Admiral Quality in any way I'm simply a long time owner and fan of Poly-Ana who is just trying to help.........
Last edited by Teksonik on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teksonik wrote:
Pyrotek45 wrote:god that's one ugly synth, and for HOW much? i would not even pay half the discounted price, no siree
inb4 people say gui doesn't matter. well it does to me!
But you're missing the point....now it's possible to make alternative skins and one of them you might actually like.......... :wink:
Ahaha

BTW, whatever happened to limeflavor? He was on a roll in 2009/2010...

arkmabat wrote:
Teksonik wrote:
Pyrotek45 wrote:god that's one ugly synth, and for HOW much? i would not even pay half the discounted price, no siree
inb4 people say gui doesn't matter. well it does to me!
But you're missing the point....now it's possible to make alternative skins and one of them you might actually like.......... :wink:
Ahaha

BTW, whatever happened to limeflavor? He was on a roll in 2009/2010...
He's posted in this thread and apparently is working on a skin. :)

Return to “Instruments”