One Synth Challenge #78: Elektrostudio OR2v (Meakaale Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Skipping this one... Not wasting any more time with 32bit only synths.
In fact I've completely lost my interest in the OSC's, even thinking about deleting my OSC77 track so I no longer need to vote.

Hahaha, man, that's drastic! I was just so impressed with your track, wrote you a proper comment on soundcloud, too. Don't delete it, please! It would honestly be a massive loss!!! :pray:

But I came here right now to also say that I will have to skip this OSC, because this synth is NOT ready. I just tried to use it with the 32bit version of MuLab and it still has processing spikes that stop a song for a moment at random and frequently. It simply is not ready.

It's a real shame, guys, but I will resume, if you should decide to go for a different synth. I keep monitoring this thread for a few days, hoping you reconsider!

Reefius wrote:Skipping this one... Not wasting any more time with 32bit only synths.
In fact I've completely lost my interest in the OSC's, even thinking about deleting my OSC77 track so I no longer need to vote.
There will definitely be some great challenges for you coming up, if you're willing to skip the 32bit ones. Feel free to suggest a synth you're really excited about in the discussion forum here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4305672

Taron, I'm using Mulab as well and on linux non the less on a 6 year old comp. No spikes (had to tweak the mesa drivers to reduce the cpu usage). That might be a bit of a cpu hog on the windows side as well. Have patience with it ...... What are you using for a gpu?
What is the structural integrity of a compound when it is broken down to its wave form?

The same as everything else that surrounds it.

https://soundcloud.com/zendrix

My GPU? It's Nvidia's GTX 970, but if you mean CPU it's a dual 6core Xeon @ 2.67GHz.
I could try to increase the buffer size, but then... all live action won't be fun. This is supposed to be fun, you know. What's the logic behind picking VSTs that don't run properly, yet, while there are countless that do and haven't been in OSC, yet!?

Go to VST4FREE and sort by rating! Then you find people to talk to.

Uh, but THANK YOU, Luna, I do really appreciate your help! :hug: :tu:

[small update]
...as weird as that sounds, decreasing the buffersize and setting a cpu limit of 100 seems to have helped with the cut-outs, but it's so erratic, I can't tell if it helped or just happen to have had a few "good" runs.

I'm curious as to why this hasn't been made a sticky yet.

I could think of a few reasons... :lol: :roll:

...haven't checked, but if the dev is still working on this synth, for once there is some constant, rather heavy processing going on, regardless as to whether notes are playing or not. This may be the contributing factor to why they appear to accumulate some kind of problem that then frequently pushes the cpu usage up to some breaking point.

Taron wrote:I could think of a few reasons... :lol: :roll:

...haven't checked, but if the dev is still working on this synth, for once there is some constant, rather heavy processing going on, regardless as to whether notes are playing or not. This may be the contributing factor to why they appear to accumulate some kind of problem that then frequently pushes the cpu usage up to some breaking point.
I've had this synth since July 2014. It hasn't been worked on since December 2013. I seriously doubt anything is going to be done with it in
the future.

I've only had minor problems with it but to be honest, I've never tried to use it as the main synth in a project with multiple instances. Usually it's just a one or two of in a song. Of course being duophonic, using it as a main synth is kind of tough, which is going to make this OSC a real challenge.

Depending on how it responds to multiple instances on my PC I may or may not enter this month. I can't go through what I went through with EVO having to freeze every single track to get it to work. If I have to resort to that again I'm just going to skip this month.

Give it a try, I'm curious! :hihi:
Yeah, it's a pity, because it does sound quite rich and unique in a good way! The controls are somewhat ingenious, I find. At the same time some of them feel a bit overly compromised.
I've done a funny little mux where I split note keys and gave each key an instance of the synth just as a test. I've also used the velocity per key to control each instance's volume to get that in there as well, hahaha...really fascinating. But that very quickly craps out entirely, unfortunately.
So, yeah, I'm still on the "skip" end of things...sadly. :(

Taron wrote:Give it a try, I'm curious! :hihi:
Yeah, it's a pity, because it does sound quite rich and unique in a good way! The controls are somewhat ingenious, I find. At the same time some of them feel a bit overly compromised.
I've done a funny little mux where I split note keys and gave each key an instance of the synth just as a test. I've also used the velocity per key to control each instance's volume to get that in there as well, hahaha...really fascinating. But that very quickly craps out entirely, unfortunately.
So, yeah, I'm still on the "skip" end of things...sadly. :(
The saddest part is that, in terms of functionality, it blows Arturia's SEM out of the water. But the SEM is rock solid. Not a blip or hiccup. Of course it's also 64 bit.

The OR2V was one of the first synths I ever downloaded when I started on this insane "hobby" along with his other synths. But none of them worked well on a 64 bit machine. The OR2V was the closest to "fully" functional with only a few random keyboard lockups.

** EDIT ** Here's his page if you want to check out his other synths. I had to get rid of all of them.

http://www.elektrostudio.ovh.org/index.php?

So I realised what was making it crash. It was when I was changing any parameter while playing a note. So I know what not to do now.

The two programs I use mainly are FL Studio 12 and OpenMPT 1.24.04.00 And I use the SoundblasterAudigy5/Rx ASIO 24/96[D000] driver in both programs. Both of which crash in exactly the same way, which probably means it is the driver.
Last edited by zerofox97 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's very tasty, I swear!

Just to shed some light from the other side,running about 30 instances of OR2 in Reaper at the moment no problem what so ever

Would be nice to hear some system specs along with positive reports!
(OS and audio-drivers would be enough, I think!?)
Since my ASIO created reliable blue screens at short intervals and guaranteed when switching tasks, I ended up only running MME drivers with my internal Realtek card, as sad as that is, but it works without any crashes whatsoever and does a decent job at 48KHz.

What's your setup, ere2learn, if I may ask?

zerofox97 wrote:So I realised what was making it crash. It was when I was changing any parameter while playing a note. So I know what not to do now.

The two programs I use mainly are FL Studio 12 and OpenMPT 1.24.04.00 And I use the SoundblasterAudigy5/Rx ASIO 24/96[D000] driver in both programs. Both of which crash in exactly the same way, which probably means it is the driver.

Cool does this mean your back in?

What you described has happened to me with a few plugins. Your probably right with the driver.

I am going to try and approach the OR2V in a different way and maybe I can stick it out. But right now it 3-4% cpu per instance and while that maybe manageable on a normal system. I have to do this at night on a almost dead Laptop battery and a constant CPU hit just drains it faster than I can think.

Reefius wrote:Skipping this one... Not wasting any more time with 32bit only synths.
I understand about the 32bit thing even taking a break as these OSC can be quite draining. But you surely put out to good a tune to scrap.

Return to “Instruments”