Dust of Dreams / Rising Storm

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music/ ... sing-storm

Dreamy piano-based first half dramatically changes as the 'storm' rises.

All the melodic material was formed directly from the piano motif.

Great visual sounds here. Kudos!

Amazing track! I loved the dynamics of the sounds. You did a really nice job there.

Very nice sounds in the first half although it has a static feel because the piano part does not change.

The second half reminds me of a train gathering speed. Good use of stereo in that chugging, triplet rhythm. Compelling!

If it were my piece, I might have tried to flow from one section to another without a pause and extended the storm section but it's not my track. :)

Nice work! :tu:

Frantz / BrainClaim / Ridan...

Many thanks for all that feedback - much appreciated.

@Ridan:
"Great visual sounds here"

Glad you thought that; it was originally written to go with a short film!

@Frantz:
"it has a static feel because the piano part does not change"

I agree... and personally I might have considered developing the piano motif, (although I do really like its hypnotic quality), but the film it was possibly going to be for was very 'static' as well at this stage...maybe I might experiment with a different version some time?

"I might have tried to flow from one section to another without a pause and extended the storm section"

I actually did flow from section to section more fluidly in the first draft or two and in many ways it worked very well....not with the visuals though! Actually, I'll go back and listen to the early takes and see what I think!

By the way - as happens all too often, the film never got past the early stages...project simply faded away and the company disappeared!

No worries on my part as I can always use the track elsewhere via production libraries / other clients etc...already sold it once!

Lovely, nice textures

Cheers - Thank you.

Very nicely done! I'm especially fond of the second part. I felt that you did a great job of increasing the tension in a consistent but nicely restrained sort of way, before giving way to the softer piano pattern at the end. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks David,
The second section was very fiddly and frustrating at times - the initial part of it is just a single patch in Z3TA+ 2 VST...loads of tweaks to a preset to get the exact sound I wanted + many layers of automation rising and falling throughout...glad you thought it worked!

Like Frantz, I was also hearing a train at the start of the second part, with that chugging synth, which reminded me of TD or Eddie Jobson from the late '70s. The whole piece has a very cinematic feel, and I enjoyed both parts. I liked the repetetive nature of the piano motif, and the sound choices throughout seemed appropriate and, in places, very exciting.

Good work :)

Certainly is a great cinematic track with lots of fabulous sounds. Both parts are very interesting and dynamic in their own way. Well done! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

i really liked the first half. it covered the sound spectrum well with deep bass and tingling highs, the second half did a good job adding a new direction but i think the booms sounded a bit too compressed and limited in the mix. still held my interest to the end. :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:i really liked the first half. it covered the sound spectrum well with deep bass and tingling highs, the second half did a good job adding a new direction but i think the booms sounded a bit too compressed and limited in the mix. still held my interest to the end. :tu:
I agree about those 'hits' and compression - slightly overdone...I noticed a possible issue a few days ago while creating some sub edits...I think I've slightly choked the transients!

Not too bad, but could be improved...

I've just tried using parallel compression instead on those big sounds and it seems more smooth and natural, but still nice and punchy - I might replace the file in a few days...mulling it over.

Thanks for that.

ChamMusic wrote:Thanks David,
The second section was very fiddly and frustrating at times - the initial part of it is just a single patch in Z3TA+ 2 VST...loads of tweaks to a preset to get the exact sound I wanted + many layers of automation rising and falling throughout...glad you thought it worked!
Exactly that I thought. The track is superb, and listening to that part gave me the idea that you indeed put great effort to make it sound that cool. These are the nuances that make few instruments sounding very detailed... Very nicely done!

I wish I had so much talent with automation of these kind of instruments, I'm too often stopping at working with the preset in case of synths without really tweaking it.

Return to “Music Cafe”