UAD La2a Native Equivalent?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I replaced my UAD 1176 & LA-2A with Slate VMR and NI LA-2A. All good here. No longer miss the UAD version of those 2. You should also add MJUC. It's really good!!

LA-2A and MJUC are way different.

It has nothing to do with tubes IMHO, but it's more about the topology, type of compression, the design.

Opto compressors are acting different than Vari-Mu. So no, MJUC is not an alternative, it's a different flavor of compression.

For what it's worth, the IK White 2A does a wonderful job to my ears. I love it on Piano !

The bx_opto is a good alternative to the other mentioned emulations. It's more versatile because of the speed settings, there is IMO a bit more colouring (compared to the NI LA2A) and with low speed settings both having a very similar smooth compression behaviour.
The sidechain eq stuff is better with the bx_opto, there are different filter options and a solo function for the sidechain...

[edit]
I forget that the NI LA2A can achieve more GR without pumping. It's very smooth also on complex material with -12dB or more GR. The bx_opto on the other side tends to pump very quickly also with very low speed settings.

NI is in the stores for about 99€ and bx_opto for 135€/$149. With a 1:1 comparison I could not pick a favourite (except with higher gain reduction where NI wins), so I still prefer the NI VC2A..

Cackewalk CA2A is the best native LA2A emu to mee by far. The problem is when you are on mac there is no use for last OS versions

apologies for the spam but seeing as it was mentioned - Im selling bx opto for $60 in the marketplace...
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

kj.metissage wrote:LA-2A and MJUC are way different.

It has nothing to do with tubes IMHO, but it's more about the topology, type of compression, the design.

Opto compressors are acting different than Vari-Mu. So no, MJUC is not an alternative, it's a different flavor of compression.

For what it's worth, the IK White 2A does a wonderful job to my ears. I love it on Piano !
as different as they might be (and i am no expert), some seem to be seeing mjuc as being a suitable replacement. having just made it through 30-ish pages of mjuc talk over at gearslutz, i can remember one user declaring having replaced all instances of la2a with mjuc, and a few others declaring their ik 'white' as retired

just what i read :shrug:

The Klanghelm is a very smooth compressor which works also on complex material without much pumping. Ok, it's a Vari-mu so more comparable to a Manley (Afaik also to the Fairchild). And all of this compressors (Fairchild, Manley) are well known to be character compressors, they having a own sound (= much "colouring"). IMO the Vari-mu's stealing a bit the highs (so I never was big fan of the UAD Fairchild).
If I remember correctly NI had such Vari mu Manley in their premium tube collection and it was ... hmm... ok ;)

For LA-2A emulations or similar compressors for plugins, I personally like the IK LA-2A and the Softube Summit Audio TLA-100A.

For 1176 style native plugins, I personally like the Softube FET compressor and the Lindell Audio 7X-500. The Lindell seems to have just a slight bit more on the bottom end for bass over the Softube.

I vote for Waves CLA compressors for LA2A, and for 1176 it is 50/50 for me between CLA76 and Softube FET.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

The Motu Masterworks Leveler is the most complete La2a emulation, however that may not be what you want.

thewizrad wrote:
Lostinthamusic wrote:I got the bx opto last night on a $50 upgrade from the free opto pedal plugin they gave away. Feels like a steal, sounds wonderful. Haven't had much chance to play around with it.
How did you get that deal on the bx opto please? :pray:
Did you happen to download the free 'pedal' version? I think I got am email with the deal in it a day or two after I downloaded the free one.

I don't have an LA2A equivalent at present. From what I've tried previously my favourites were the Cakewalk CA2A and IK LA-2A. Didn't like Waves or NI offerings.

IK is no recommendation, stay away from this marketing company. Not worth the money. The first versions are mediocre maybe this changed with later updates (it's the same with their 1176 where the first versions are crap and most parts like the transformers are not emulated).

Cakewalk is on the cleaner side compared to the others so it could work better in a complete mix instead of Waves (a lot more distortion).

4damind wrote:IK is no recommendation, stay away from this marketing company. Not worth the money. The first versions are mediocre maybe this changed with later updates (it's the same with their 1176 where the first versions are crap and most parts like the transformers are not emulated).

Cakewalk is on the cleaner side compared to the others so it could work better in a complete mix instead of Waves (a lot more distortion).
Seriously ? We're many that are satisfied with IK offerings. I agree that their marketing can be too much, but their plugins are top quality.

After complaints from users (especially concerning the 1176 transformer like you said), they updated their Black 76 and White 2A models so that they sound more faithful to the real deal. And now you can saturate the Black 76 transformer, and it sounds great.

I have most of their T-RackS gear, and it's top notch. In fact it's the first gear I reach for when I run out of DSP on my UAD-2, when I need a 1176 or LA-2A emulation.

kj.metissage wrote:
4damind wrote:IK is no recommendation, stay away from this marketing company. Not worth the money. The first versions are mediocre maybe this changed with later updates (it's the same with their 1176 where the first versions are crap and most parts like the transformers are not emulated).

Seriously ? We're many that are satisfied with IK offerings. I agree that their marketing can be too much, but their plugins are top quality.

After complaints from users (especially concerning the 1176 transformer like you said), they updated their Black 76 and White 2A models so that they sound more faithful to the real deal. And now you can saturate the Black 76 transformer, and it sounds great.

I have most of their T-RackS gear, and it's top notch. In fact it's the first gear I reach for when I run out of DSP on my UAD-2, when I need a 1176 or LA-2A emulation.
Too much lying from the marketings reps because of the accuracy of their emulations. After many users came to the same conclusion that something must be wrong with the IK emulations, they released other versions and implemented the missing features.
I don't trust such companies and completely removed all IK plugins and don't recommend this company. But there are a lot threads why people don't like IK and it should not move to an "no IK" thread ;)
For LA2A emulation there are lot good recommendations in this thread and all are very usable. Its a bit of personal taste if Waves, NI/Softube, Cakewalk are the preferred emulation.

Return to “Effects”