Monark is seriously impressive.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Monark

Winstontaneous wrote:
Numanoid wrote:Kind of sad that Rush hasn't teamed up with Waves or some other dev, to share their mixing secrets via custom plugs
Permanent Waves
Hemi-Omnisphere(s)
Test for EchoBoy
A Caress of Stillwell
Digital Signals Processing
Tom Lord-Alge Sawyer Signature Waves Edition
By-Toraverb
AAS Different Strings Studio
Jacob's Ladder Filter
Photosounder Moving Pictures Edition
Thinking Man's Heavy MetaSynth
NI Razor's Edge
:dog:
My word, you're sad.

Sub-bass-divisions.

:hihi:

electro wrote:
Kinh wrote:I dont understand your enthusiasm for the Monark sound which to me sounds like a cheap Casio you'd find under the Xmas tree in the 80s.
You could not be more wrong. NI even posted a detailed A/B with a Model D.
https://soundcloud.com/nativeinstrument ... comparison
Sounds amazingly close, even when pushed (like on high resonance settings, or with fast LFO pitch modulation).

electro wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:That's all I'm saying. I'm happy NI took the time to model the D's sound so accurately. I don't even care if it's polyphonic, but I think it's a shame to release any synth, even an emulation, in 2015 that doesn't have a complete MIDI implementation. Like I said, take a look at Diva for how that should work. "I hate that Diva let's me assign aftertouch and velosity to filter cuttoff!" said no one ever.
Of course, so long as adding things does not compromise the emulation of a particular synth. Even Oddity 1 had a velocity parameter the Odyssey didn't have and version 2 has full polyphony, TAL Bassline has full Polyphony and Monark can be modded to whatever you want so long as you have the full version of Reaktor. The XILS 4 can do just about everything conceivable, but I would still use it the way I would want to use a monophonic VCS3.
Sure, there's no reason to use features you don't want, but for some things, it makes sense. I guess I'll have to rip open Reaktor and see if I can get Monark to do my bidding. I don't care much about polyphony, but it would be nice to get basic velocity and aftertouch. I've never been a fan of the mod wheel.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Depending on your DAW, you may be able to real-time transform monophonic aftertouch to CC1.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:
Kinh wrote:I dont understand your enthusiasm for the Monark sound which to me sounds like a cheap Casio you'd find under the Xmas tree in the 80s.
I wan't aware of that and my experience with moogs is limited to say the least but i think i know a good synth when i hear it and Monark is one, probably my most used vst and noones asked if i use casios. :lol:
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

electro wrote:
In some of those examples, the difference is huge.

zerocrossing wrote:
electro wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:That's all I'm saying. I'm happy NI took the time to model the D's sound so accurately. I don't even care if it's polyphonic, but I think it's a shame to release any synth, even an emulation, in 2015 that doesn't have a complete MIDI implementation. Like I said, take a look at Diva for how that should work. "I hate that Diva let's me assign aftertouch and velosity to filter cuttoff!" said no one ever.
Of course, so long as adding things does not compromise the emulation of a particular synth. Even Oddity 1 had a velocity parameter the Odyssey didn't have and version 2 has full polyphony, TAL Bassline has full Polyphony and Monark can be modded to whatever you want so long as you have the full version of Reaktor. The XILS 4 can do just about everything conceivable, but I would still use it the way I would want to use a monophonic VCS3.
Sure, there's no reason to use features you don't want, but for some things, it makes sense. I guess I'll have to rip open Reaktor and see if I can get Monark to do my bidding. I don't care much about polyphony, but it would be nice to get basic velocity and aftertouch. I've never been a fan of the mod wheel.
I've made a version with added aftertouch that can be assigned to pitch and/or MW with 2 sliders that works very nicely - but I can't seem to get velocity - tried it the usual way with IC sends but I seem to be missing something.

it's often been on offer at 49$. would be great to see it in a OSC at some point.

Nokenoku wrote:
electro wrote:
In some of those examples, the difference is huge.
Sometimes people mistake one half of the example (only the Model D or only the Monark) for two halves in a row. Maybe you could point the exact time (actually, two time points, one for the Model D, one for Monark) when you hear the difference? Also here is the same audio in a better uncompressed quality:
http://www.native-instruments.com/filea ... 88_khz.wav

I don't have the time now to list all the examples, but it already starts with the very first one.
0:00 and 0:07
The tuning is wrong. Could have sounded more close I guess.

But there are other examples, where it's not just the tuning. But of course, some of the other settings could be wrong.

All I am saying is, that there are clear differences in this comparison, which is the reason, I am not amazed by it.

Nokenoku wrote:I don't have the time now to list all the examples, but it already starts with the very first one.
0:00 and 0:07
The tuning is wrong. Could have sounded more close I guess.

But there are other examples, where it's not just the tuning. But of course, some of the other settings could be wrong.

All I am saying is, that there are clear differences in this comparison, which is the reason, I am not amazed by it.
Okay, you mean those differences. Yes, the knobs haven't been set to very precisely identical positions. I'm not the one who created this comparison, but I guess the purpose of the comparison was to get a feeling of the reproduction of the important qualities of the sound, the Model D serving as a reference for those qualities but not for a 100% identical settings match. Although, IIRC, the real matching of the sound is even closer than you can hear on those demos. OTOH, the sound changes not only from one Model D to another, but also for the same Model D every day, due to variations of temperature, humidity, daylight saving settings, the Moon phase etc. :wink:

BTW, recently in another thread I posted a link to another "demo" of Monark. It's not actually a demo, it was done as a sound design exercise when I first got to use Monark about two years ago, but I guess this also shows nicely the capabilities of the synth:
http://vk.com/wall161447783_2951 (press the play button after following the link)
Edit: No other synths and IIRC no FX, except a little reverb on a couple of tracks. Also maybe (but unlikely) some EQ in a couple of places

Really? Tuning? Wow, LOL.

Monark is EXTREMELY close to the real deal. You cannot expect 100% parameter matching because voltage differences and knobs cannot reliably be set to exactly the same position between the plugin and the hardware.

EvilDragon wrote:Really? Tuning? Wow, LOL.

Monark is EXTREMELY close to the real deal. You cannot expect 100% parameter matching because voltage differences and knobs cannot reliably be set to exactly the same position between the plugin and the hardware.
When someone is determined to find something "wrong" they're going to. That's just the way human nature is.

Yeah, I'm kind of shaking my head over this one too.

FTR, Monark and Korg's MS-20 vst are the two best emulations of their hardware counterparts I have ever heard. But as good as Monark is, the MS-20 is scary good. Most accurate filters of any software synth ever made hands down.

Monark velocity add.png
Hi all this is how I have added velocity to the Amp and Filter cuttoff,setup as per piccie with a couple of controllers controlling depth connected into the `volt` macro and a Midi velocity in (mono selected) connected as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi all this is how I have added velocity to the Amp and Filter cuttoff,setup as per piccie with a couple of controllers controlling depth connected into the `volt` macro and a Midi velocity in (mono selected) connected as well.
Great! I' d love to get this mod! Is it possible to get it ? (or not ?)
thanks !

Return to “Instruments”