KingKorg vs. Studiologic Sledge 2.0

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks EnGee.
EnGee wrote:You really need to visit the local shop first and spend some time with different ones.
There's only one shop in my area, and while they have a decent selection to demo, they don't carry either the King or the Blofeld (Currently)
The Sledge isn't sold in Denmark at all.
Soooo many choices, soooo much money (if you believe that, you'll believe anything :lol: )
Watched that review video a few times and the King Korg really sounds awesome. Maybe even better than the others? At least it seem to suit my personal taste very much :)
Off to Munich, Germany in a week. I might have to swing by http://www.justmusic.de/de-de/keys/index.html as it looks lige they carry quite a lot :tu:

Honestly, I think getting both the Sledge and the Blofeld is a bit silly. Too similar. Maybe think about another wave table synthesizer, even an old Ensoniq.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:Honestly, I think getting both the Sledge and the Blofeld is a bit silly. Too similar. Maybe think about another wave table synthesizer, even an old Ensoniq.
Care to elaborate? :)

Back from my vacation and with a somewhat different decision made. I've realized that my main need isn't really another hardware synth. It's more of a controlling issue. I definitely have enough sound/synthesis options as it is, being a P33X/Venom/DX7 Komplete 10 Ultimate and Omnisphere 2 owner.
What I really need is a way to improve my workflow as well as inspiring me to get more out of that I already have.
So I ordered an AKAI ADVANCE. It's rather groundbreaking in terms of control and will definitely change the way I do things when it comes to software instruments and DAW control. I had a chance to try one in Munich last week, and while the keybed is crap (as always), I fell in love with all the options and obvious workflow improvements at hand.

Should I ever go for another hardware synth (not likely as it is now though), I'm leaning towards the King. I tried that one in Munich as well, and MY GAWD, it sounds awesome!!
But...for now, I'm doing what makes most sense for me and that is the Akai.
Thank you all, this is a very informative thread which has helped me a lot making my decision, even if it's "odd" :hihi:

K-Bee wrote:Back from my vacation and with a somewhat different decision made. I've realized that my main need isn't really another hardware synth. It's more of a controlling issue. I definitely have enough sound/synthesis options as it is, being a P33X/Venom/DX7 Komplete 10 Ultimate and Omnisphere 2 owner.
What I really need is a way to improve my workflow as well as inspiring me to get more out of that I already have.
So I ordered an AKAI ADVANCE. It's rather groundbreaking in terms of control and will definitely change the way I do things when it comes to software instruments and DAW control. I had a chance to try one in Munich last week, and while the keybed is crap (as always), I fell in love with all the options and obvious workflow improvements at hand.

Should I ever go for another hardware synth (not likely as it is now though), I'm leaning towards the King. I tried that one in Munich as well, and MY GAWD, it sounds awesome!!
Thank you all, this is a very informative thread which has helped me a lot making my decision, even if it's "odd" :hihi:
I'm not sure how well, if at all, the Akai Advance works with Omnisphere due to the way Omnisphere's automation system works. I gave up trying to use it with my Panorama.

K-Bee wrote: So I ordered an AKAI ADVANCE.
Oh great :party: (I was almost sure you would return with the Sledge! I am wrong, good I haven't bet on that :hihi:)
It is whatever suits you more among the many choices out there ;)

I did the opposite! I started looking for a midi controller with a good built quality and ended buying the Blofeld Keyboard.

I sold what I could from soft instruments, but I still have some soft synths remained, though, they are few compared to what you have. It makes sense that you chose Akai Advanced. Have you played with NI Kontrol keys? I ask because you have Komplete and it might integrates more with it?

From my side, I can't be happier really! This short time, I'm having a great time with Blofeld. I also managed to control the soft synths with the knobs! Excellent! because I just map what is written on the keys (filter 1, cuttoff knob, Resonance knob ..etc) to the soft equalivants, so I don't need to remember anything, all are written in front of me!

To be honest, I lost trust in today's midi controllers. They are mostly for just one to 2 years then the problems will start (especially midi msgs) because of the bad built quality. Anway, I hope that the Akai Advanced will be functioning right for years to come ;)

I'm hoping with the release of affordable VA synths with a plethora of knobs it might light a fire under Waldorf's ass to make the Stromberg a viable option.

I'm very excited to get my hands on the advance. The package should arrive tomorrow.
That's all I know right now but I'll keep you posted about the Omni thing.
This should be fun :) The VIP stuff sounds interesting as well. 16GBs of content are bound to have something worthwhile within.

I'm not particularly interested in the Korg, but have been looking at the Sledge 2.0 mainly because it provides huge bang-for-the-buck when it comes to editing. I'm just not sure about the sound though, as the demos are terrible! I have an M-Audio Venom, which garnered a bad rap quickly when it comes to sound, but IMHO it's not warranted aqs. Everything else bad about the synth is ... from the crappy $2 keybed, to the inability to edit sounds fully without software .... and now having to use an old laptop to edit sounds because they no longer support it. I bought it, despite being M-Audio (since I have been burned by them on multiple occasions), only because it was cheap, but it actually does sound good. How does the sound of the Sledge compare to the Venom? I'm looking for something less brittle than the Venom.

It doesn't have to be analog, but can it at least sound a little analog - Something like a Novation Ultranova? I love this for a VA but again it falls into the "I-need-a-software-editor-to-be-useful" category. If I could get an Ultranova in a Sledge 2 housing, that would be ideal. :)

analoguesque wrote:I'm not particularly interested in the Korg, but have been looking at the Sledge 2.0 mainly because it provides huge bang-for-the-buck when it comes to editing. I'm just not sure about the sound though, as the demos are terrible! I have an M-Audio Venom, which garnered a bad rap quickly when it comes to sound, but IMHO it's not warranted aqs. Everything else bad about the synth is ... from the crappy $2 keybed, to the inability to edit sounds fully without software .... and now having to use an old laptop to edit sounds because they no longer support it. I bought it, despite being M-Audio (since I have been burned by them on multiple occasions), only because it was cheap, but it actually does sound good. How does the sound of the Sledge compare to the Venom? I'm looking for something less brittle than the Venom.

It doesn't have to be analog, but can it at least sound a little analog - Something like a Novation Ultranova? I love this for a VA but again it falls into the "I-need-a-software-editor-to-be-useful" category. If I could get an Ultranova in a Sledge 2 housing, that would be ideal. :)
There are a few preset sets available for download either free or paid for that will turn your Venom into a more classic sounding VA. Just do some searches. The Venom is really a capable VA with a crap matrix and no support, and low polyphony, but I snagged mine for $189 and found under the hood is a pretty great engine.

Oh yeah, sometimes I forget its a pretty great audio interface for my ipad too.

The TB Midi Stuff ipad editor also gives you 18 pages of editing capability for the Venom in single mode.

As far as the Ultranova - have you looked for an old Supernova or Supernova II?
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Thanks for the tips on the Venom. I've programmed it quite a bit using Vysex and have downloaded all the patches, and there are some amazing sounds. For the most part though, I find the sound very brittle. Good "analog" sweeps are not convincing no matter how much dirt and layering you add.

I'll have to give TB Midi Stuff a try - first I heard of it actually.

I had looked at the Supernova II on Ebay but I'm a stickler for getting all the original stuff (box, manuals ... etc) and so far none of them have had that.

Just wish I could find a place to try the Sledge out hands-on. Neither Sam Ash nor Guitar Center seems to stock them around here.

It's a rather old thread but still a relevant subject. I actually ended up buying neither the Sledge or the Korg. Since I did get the AKAI Advance I saved by money for a while. 2 months ago I bought a Blofeld desktop and an old Roland XV5080 (something completly different of course)
I still have my Venom but it hasn't been turned off since I got the Blofeld. I can't believe why I hesitated that long. The Blo' is outta this world awesome! Had I known what I know now I would have bought it years ago in favor of the Venom. Venom still has it's own character and I'm nor parting with it though. But when it comes to keybed, I've never tried anything worse! :lol:

K-Bee wrote:It's a rather old thread but still a relevant subject. I actually ended up buying neither the Sledge or the Korg. Since I did get the AKAI Advance I saved by money for a while. 2 months ago I bought a Blofeld desktop and an old Roland XV5080 (something completly different of course)
I still have my Venom but it hasn't been turned off since I got the Blofeld. I can't believe why I hesitated that long. The Blo' is outta this world awesome! Had I known what I know now I would have bought it years ago in favor of the Venom. Venom still has it's own character and I'm nor parting with it though. But when it comes to keybed, I've never tried anything worse! :lol:
:tu:
Enjoy your Blofeld which can be programmed without connecting it to the computer as you can access all the parameters from its screen.
I still love mine and it still feels like I bought it yesterday! Great synth indeed, and for me it fits perfectly my music and I can't think of something else replacing it as my main keys/synth, not even a Virus (I prefer the Waldorf sound much more) :D

K-Bee wrote:Back from my vacation and with a somewhat different decision made. I've realized that my main need isn't really another hardware synth. It's more of a controlling issue. I definitely have enough sound/synthesis options as it is, being a P33X/Venom/DX7 Komplete 10 Ultimate and Omnisphere 2 owner.

Good thinking taking the decision from a different perspective.

I'm not too sure about Akai these days though - and I've left the world of plugin automapping since the early Novation Automap Pro (that was a horror back then - leaving all my songs in a bloody mess!). But that was a long time ago and maybe Akai have come up with a better solution. Let us know if you find any improvement in workflow!

I bought a King Korg on a whim - or at least partly convinced by zerocrossing over at Gearslutz - I like it. It's not a synth that kills all other synths. But it's tasty. The effects are good as is the selection of waveforms. The only thing I miss is that typical M1 Piano (they managed to get the M1 Organ) and that the envelopes are a bit rigid for my taste - but that's something you always can work around.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

K-Bee wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:Honestly, I think getting both the Sledge and the Blofeld is a bit silly. Too similar. Maybe think about another wave table synthesizer, even an old Ensoniq.
Care to elaborate? :)
Well, the Sledge has a ton of Blofeld DNA in it, eh? I don't know too much about it but I remember reading there was a lot of overlap, like the Sledge is a subset of Blofeld features with a knobby interface. I recommend the Ensoniq stuff because it's a very different mindset than the Waldorf synths. If you can find an old TS-10 or ASR you'll have a great key bed and really nice sounding "Transwave" synthesis. Perfect to complement the Sledge or Blofeld.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”