Fragile Gods - "The Future Never Came"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

any1particular wrote:Verrrrrrrrry nice track Frantz! Loving the groove with that chugging along tech feel

...and your voice is so c0o!...

it's the future... it's the future... it's the future... it's the future... it's the future... it's the future... it's the future... it's the future... it's the future... it's the future...and everyday is the same....

:tu: :tu: :tu:
Thanks Chuck for your enthusiastic comments. They are almost as fun as your videos. :D

Glad you dug the vox too. 8)

Jace-BeOS wrote: Vocal styles change over time if desired (and sometimes even if not desired). If you're uncomfortable with your vocals, consider it like any other instrument that can improve with practice. Range can be trained, as can control. Style can change per whim and the ability to execute on the whim. My favorite musicians vary their singing styles within albums and sometimes songs (not just between spoken and sung; various subtle and non-subtle ways exist to sing).

My personal taste? I like the spoken word stuff in your songs quite a lot, but would enjoy more dynamics in the sung pieces. As is, the singing parts seem to be still somewhat half spoken (maybe that's how you've learned to sing, which is valid). I actually considered for a moment how I might sing those parts myself. But then I also considered that there simply is a taste preference thing in music and not everything/everyone has to fit into our personal ideal sweet spots of what we think is "the way". :-)

If there's a singer who's style you like, try to emulate it as part of training yourself. Your own version of it is bound to sound different by the very fact that you are not the person you're emulating.

Thanks for another thought-provoking post. I am aware that vocal technique can be improved with practice. In fact, I attempted to make some modest improvements in this song's vocals over previous efforts. Vocals grab the listener's attention so it doesn't make sense for me to rush through them because I'd rather spend my time on the synths. Now I am trying to give equal attention to all areas.

I do like the spoken and half-spoken parts. It's partially my preference but I am also working within my vocal limitations. However, in the future, I may attempt to sing over a broader range if the material calls for it (and I can hit the notes :-o ).

I'm less keen on the idea of emulating different singers but I am taking onboard the idea that more work is required to get better results.

I appreciate the encouragement and all of the suggestions. :tu:

folderol wrote::phones: :hyper: :party:
Get the idea? :-D
Got it. Thanks for the listen. :D

davidstiles wrote:Great track, Frantz! Very Depeche Mode meets Bowie. And the vocal work was great, although I can see what others have said about the mix of that element being a little bit off somehow. But that didn't really take away from my enjoyment of the track. Thanks for sharing!
Yes, I get a lot of Bowie / Depeche comparisons. I may bring the vox more to the front on the next one. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for commenting. :)

For me, this is seriously nostalgic...I was around and vaguely sentient during the 1980s...

if only more electronic music then had been this good!

Love the understated yet atmospheric vocals - your strongest yet for me.

The only thing missing for me, (and I don't necessarily recommend it - it's just an issue I'm dealing with), is an extended, improvised keyboard solo! :0)

Maybe one other thing - a little more timbral variation could maybe be brought in if a second vocalist with a contrasting vocal tone added the harmony parts?

joc wrote:Awesome work on mixing, overall sound and feel, one of coolest vocals ever, and love the bassline and the synth sounds :tu: good job :D
Thanks for the nice feedback Joc! Glad you enjoyed it. It gets me motivated to work on the next one. :)

Nice solid bass intro and the percussion worked well, although it would be interesting to add some carefully placed gated/reverbed tom hits at the end of each verse. I think there is space in the mix for it. Not too loud though, just enough to break up the rhythm pattern occasionally. The synths were great, featuring some delicate sounds. I loved the pluck with the detune in the release phase. DM vibes aplenty. Great job on the vocals, Frantz. There were some nice touches. The octave harmonies worked very well and made a nice contrast with the solo parts. The mix was great too. It's easy to hear the textures imparted by the various synths. Good lyrics bemoaning that misspent youth :) Great song too.

Good work :)

I was listening to Vanishing Point in the car the other day. I'm still enjoying that one.

ChamMusic wrote:For me, this is seriously nostalgic...I was around and vaguely sentient during the 1980s...

if only more electronic music then had been this good!

Love the understated yet atmospheric vocals - your strongest yet for me.
Thanks for your kind comments! I appreciate the feedback.

I was very sentient during the 80s. Little did I know, every note I heard then would be permanently burned into my 80s brain. I am scarred for life! :-o

ChamMusic wrote: The only thing missing for me, (and I don't necessarily recommend it - it's just an issue I'm dealing with), is an extended, improvised keyboard solo! :0)
I decided not to include an improvised keyboard solo due to comments on my last attempted solo. However, you can be sure at some point I shall do another self-indulgent, incompetent solo. The temptation is too great to resist. :clown:

ChamMusic wrote: Maybe one other thing - a little more timbral variation could maybe be brought in if a second vocalist with a contrasting vocal tone added the harmony parts?
One day I will introduce my backup singers - the lovely and enchanting Fragilettes: :singer: :singer: :singer:

But seriously, it is a very good point. I just don't know any vocalists who would be compatible with my quirky style.

ChamMusic wrote: Maybe one other thing - a little more timbral variation could maybe be brought in if a second vocalist with a contrasting vocal tone added the harmony parts?
Frantz wrote: One day I will introduce my backup singers - the lovely and enchanting Fragilettes: :singer: :singer: :singer:
But seriously, it is a very good point. I just don't know any vocalists who would be compatible with my quirky style.
i better see those hot Fragilettes :singer: :singer: :singer: when you are on tour with New Order opening for you!
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

seismic1 wrote:it would be interesting to add some carefully placed gated/reverbed tom hits at the end of each verse. I think there is space in the mix for it. Not too loud though, just enough to break up the rhythm pattern occasionally.
Agreed. I thought of adding reverbed hits as an accent and then never got around to it. Maybe on the next song.
seismic1 wrote: The synths were great, featuring some delicate sounds. I loved the pluck with the detune in the release phase. DM vibes aplenty.
Yes, the synth work is smoother and more delicate than my usual stuff. BTW, The Drop is excellent at providing the subtle animation you hear in the arps.

That detuned pluck was programmed from scratch in Electra2. It wasn't intentional but I agree it is similar to one of the sounds on Violator.
seismic1 wrote: Great job on the vocals, Frantz. There were some nice touches. The octave harmonies worked very well and made a nice contrast with the solo parts. The mix was great too. It's easy to hear the textures imparted by the various synths. Good lyrics bemoaning that misspent youth :) Great song too.
Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed comments. Glad you enjoyed it and picked up on the details. :)
seismic1 wrote:I was listening to Vanishing Point in the car the other day. I'm still enjoying that one.
Cool. That song really stands out because of the mastering engineer's fine work. :wink:

Frantz wrote:
Cool. That song really stands out because of the mastering engineer's fine work. :wink:
:lol:

layzer wrote: i better see those hot Fragilettes :singer: :singer: :singer: when you are on tour with New Order opening for you!
Thanks layzer! Your enthusiasm is always appreciated. A world tour with New Order is not currently scheduled but at least I am working on more songs. :)

Drat, I was looking forward to that tour!
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Allomerus wrote:Drat, I was looking forward to that tour!
Unfortunately, New Order wasn't interested in touring with the Fragile Gods. We did try to book a tour on our own but it had to be canceled due to lack of ticket sales. The booking agent said we could maybe sell out small broom closets. :clown:

Frantz wrote:
Allomerus wrote:Drat, I was looking forward to that tour!
Unfortunately, New Order wasn't interested in touring with the Fragile Gods. We did try to book a tour on our own but it had to be canceled due to lack of ticket sales. The booking agent said we could maybe sell out small broom closets. :clown:
You're doing better than me. I was offered a shoe box :hihi:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Return to “Music Cafe”