MiniNova not working

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been in touch with Novation about this and suspect it may be my MiniNova is faulty.

After connecting it to my own built PC:
Asus z97i-plus
Win8.1
i74790K
16GB Ram
nVidia GTX 770

it worked until I restarted my PC. Attempting to get it working, I tried reinstalling the software and driver, which always works, until the PC is restarted. However, now, this reinstallation seems to not work either.

Basically, on connection it is picked up by any program that detects MIDI devices, but the MiniNova won't play any VST in any program. Also tried MIDI detection apps and none pick up any signal from the MiniNova. I suggested it could be driver conflicts or something else to do with my PC as the MiniNova works on my laptop. Also, other MIDI devices work in the same USB ports.

Primarily I'm trying to use it with MuLab, though, as I said, it won't work with any other app.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Scott

Does it show in the Device Manager?

I don't have MiniNova, but sometimes I need to switch off and then on Blofeld to make it appear in the Device Manager:
https://app.box.com/s/6551fhug9zkotu9kbsl2xwtnilsq2wyh

If it is working with your laptop then it is not faulty hardware. As EnGee recommended check if Ne MiniNova shows up in the device manager. (when it is not working) Are you using the same USB port as at the time you installed the drivers?
The Mini has a librarian too. Check if you can get it to work. If it works there is a working connection.
Are you using the latest firmware? Did you update FW at any time?

I don't have Mulab but i can check tomorrow, GTG to work now.
Good luck!

Thanks for your replies.

@EnGee: Yep, it does. The whole situation is strange! Everything can see it but it don't work!

@piel: yes, same USB port. Updated firmware to beta, had trouble so downgraded, still had trouble so upgraded, downgraded, and then upgraded. But this is done using the windows installer and couple times like yesterday, it hangs and won't update the firmware. So I kill task, try installation again but still won't upgrade firmware?!

Do you mean you couldn't update the firmware? Maybe something is broken somewhere in the OS of Nova? There is no 'rescue' firmware or something similar?

What about updating the firmware in the other computer, then plug the nova to the main one? Sorry, I have no idea what it could be. I would take it to service if it doesn't work at all, but if it works with the other computer, then it means the problem is not related to the Nova.

Good idea, I'll try using laptop to update firmware. Thanks.

That's what I was afraid of! Means there's either something wrong with my windows installation or worse the motherboard!

I would say the same, if it is working with another computer than the MiniNova is ok.
Other question, can you turn it on and play it by itself? It has to work without a computer.
You did not say if you have tried the librarian.
If i were you i would get the firmware done on the computer that works and leave it, it should work with most firmware.
My first suspect is your PC or the drivers. You can't get a clean install and you wrote earlier that it worked until reboot. Are you using a USB hub? Is it powered? Is power management turned off fow the USB ports?

piel wrote:Are you using a USB hub? Is it powered? Is power management turned off fow the USB ports?
This ^ is also very important.

I damaged my Focusrite USB 6 audio interface because of wrong adapter powered my usb hub :smack: I also think my Oxygen got a slight damage that causes it to go unstable sending random midi msgs. So be careful with usb powered hubs.

Last thing, it might be not compatible with USB 3?! I think the OP should try (after successful update of the Nova with the laptop) a USB 2 port.

So, the steps I would take are:
1. Update the nova with the laptop
2. Check the nova if it is working by itself first, then by connecting it to the laptop
3. If all are ok, then I would try USB 2 ports in the Asus motherboard based PC and take it slowly and calmly from now because in this stage it means only the Desktop PC has the problem somewhere.

@piel: Yes the MiniNova works standalone and even when powered via USB, but does not seem to either transmit MIDI to the PC or the PC isn't receiving MIDI.

Re: Librarian, Not used it. But on loading it I found that it synchronised and then connected successfully to the MiniNova. Other than that I don't know.

No, not using USB Hub. Just the MoBo's own USB inc Front Panel USB2 and USB3 have been tested. My first attempt at connectio was using a USB2 extension lead, apparently it doesn't like that! I keep getting Malfunction message from Windows if connecting to this. Have been trying the rear, direct MoBo USB2 connection to eliminate Front Panel or USB3 problems since the start of this issue. Shouldn't USB3 be FULLY compatible though with USB2?

@EnGee: Updated the MiniNova using the v1.4b7 beta from here. This is the most up to date according to Novation Tech Support.

USB is not in power save mode as far as I know. PC is set to performance as much as I know how to. It was already suggested I check that and adjusted it accordingly in the power pref's.

I have had no other problems with this system's USB apart from my wireless mouse keeps losing signal, at least that's the effect I get. My mouse is a Logitech, can't remember the model it's 8 years old now! But this mouse has NEVER had any problems except in this PC.

Could there be a BIOS setting that may affect this? Or a disabled windows service? Or the driver incompatible with Win8.1?

Thanks for your help btw, very much appreciated :tu:

Ok before going into your Asus system, have you checked the mini nova with your laptop? Does it send midi?
If not, check the manual of the nova. Maybe there is an option to send/receive midi which is off and need to be enabled.

If all is ok, and still the Asus system has problems, Can you tell me the power supply (psu) model and watts?

Thought I'd mentioned that it works fine on laptop? Oh well! Yes, it sends midi and no problems on the laptop. So midi must be set up OK.

My PC psu is an EVGA superNova 750w.

I think I may have sorted it!

I wondered if the drivers night be a problem. If previously uninstalled all novation software and reinstalled. But the problem persisted. I thought maybe if I uninstalled the drivers it may help. Being that each connection installs it for that USB socket.

So I Googled how to uninstall drivers and came across an app, from the windows club I think it was, which removed old or unused device drivers that had been connected to USB.

Devicecleanup is the app name. So I started it, not thinking it would help, looked for everything to do with MiniNova and deleted it. Except the newest entry as it was still connected.

Restarted my PC and it worked. I think the problem may have been caused by my first attempted connection via a USB extension cable causing an error. This stated the device malfunctioned. But must have confused the system to think it still was malfunctioning despite all efforts to reinstall.

Why the extension cable would cause this is beyond me, I thought it was simply a throughput, why would it affect the signal?

Lesson learnt, don't use extensions!

I would like to say big thank you for your time and help with this as it gave me the idea to uninstall the drivers. :tu:

Glad you got it to work in the end :tu:

Oh, and I just wanted to use an extension for my Casio DP because it is faraway from my desktop! Ok then thanks for reporting back, I will buy 3 or 5 meters USB cable instead :)

I'm glad that it worked out for you!
I did a small test and came to a surprising discovery. I have one USB3 port on my laptop so i simply connected the Mini there. It was never used with it before so it installed something quickly. It shows up in the device manager but it does not send midi. The old port works like a charm.

@EnGee: Thanks.
I'm not sure if ALL extensions should be ruled out, the one I use is from the days when I had a Mobile Internet Dongle for my old laptop! Can't see why it shouldn't work though? Surely it's simply extends the port, nothing more?

@ piel: Thank you.
Odd?! That's what happened with mine, but it was with USB2 port!

Ah! Shit! Just noticed, the extension is plugged into a USB3 port, I thought it was USB2!!! That's probably the reason for all this mess. It still seems to have been caused by that first install connected to the extension being plugged into USB3 though.

So it seems that you were right to test in your USB3 port piel, that's nailed it, I'll inform Novation of there shoddy software :D

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”