Best audio interface for latency on PC

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone, this is my first post around these parts, so please forgive me if I'm being ignorant of any rules or anything.

I'm having lots of problems figuring out the best way to run my home recording setup. I run Ableton Live on Windows 10, and I've hit the limitations of Asio4all in that I can't run sound through other programs (I like to watch YouTube tutorials and such while using Ableton without having to switch Asio4all on/off in the settings, but that's not really possible with my setup). My soundcard is an Asus Xonar DG which is crap and has terrible Asio drivers that don't work with Ableton.

I was looking into audio interfaces, as I have heard this can be one solution, and I also record guitar/bass and run it through Amplitube for modelling. Right now I have a V-Studio 20 (also crappy, I know). This doesn't have ASIO drivers built in, and the latency is pretty bad. Ideally, I'd like to be able to run my guitar in and monitor it through Ableton while being run through Amplitube. I'm not sure if this is possible, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear it. I'm hoping it will be just as simple as buying a better interface (USB 3.0, maybe? I don't have Firewire or Thunderbolt).

Don't use ASIO4ALL if native drivers are available which they are...
http://roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=VS-20

No PCI, PCIe or cardbus?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I've been really happy with my Komplete Audio 6. Latency is low enough that I just never worry about it.

Try Roland Quad Capture, very low latency and very impressive sound quality.

Don't use ASIO4ALL if native drivers are available which they are...
http://roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=VS-20
I've tried using the native drivers in the past, but I got better latency using Asio4all :/
Try Roland Quad Capture, very low latency and very impressive sound quality.
I've been really happy with my Komplete Audio 6. Latency is low enough that I just never worry about it.
I'll have to check these out. Thanks for the replies.

No PCI, PCIe or cardbus?
Are you asking if I have an open slot on my MoBo? Because I do, and I've heard PCI will get you lowest latency, I just haven't found an interface in my price range that is PCI/PCIe. They are all at least $500 from what I've seen. Any thoughts?

RME make some of THE best audio interfaces and provide updates for years.

I have the original Multiface since 15 years (or more, I forget) an updated driver was released on 21/07/15, compatible with all Win OSs from WinXP to Win10.

Not many audio interface manufacturers can boast that!
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:RME make some of THE best audio interfaces and provide updates for years.

I have the original Multiface since 15 years (or more, I forget) an updated driver was released on 21/07/15, compatible with all Win OSs from WinXP to Win10.

Not many audio interface manufacturers can boast that!
+1000 :) RME has the best track record of the industry in what concerns quality of the drivers and longevity of support. I am also running the Multiface in a Windows system. The best investment I ever did.

I would not go Roland. They discontinue their products very fast, and abandon support. Right now, I am trying the new Mac OS X (El Capitan) and I am having problems with the Roland driver. Went to their site, and I just saw the product is discontinued. True they released drivers for OS X 10.9 (which also worked in 10.10) but I am fearing that will be it, and I will be forced to find an alternative if I change definitely to the new OS.
Fernando (FMR)

Steinberg UR 22 or if you need more In's - Out's UR 44

Great value for the price.
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

+1 on RME. Their drivers can make anyone their bitch.

I have never had as good latency as I used to get with my ole EMU1212 wich was a PCI card. I sold it i the end as it caused problems for other applications but USB has never got close

For Windows, no manufacturer achieves lower USB latency than RME. I've benchmarked RME against a number of other interfaces, and when running as a USB 2 device, my Fireface UFX even got slightly lower latency than my MOTU PCIe interface at the same sample rate/buffer size.

There are only maybe three USB 3 interfaces in existence, and I doubt there will be many (any?) more made. Like with PCIe, USB 3 is more about bandwidth than lower latency anyway, and USB 3 is a LOT less robust than USB 2 or other competing buses.

Of interfaces I've used/tested, MOTU offers pretty solid performance for the price. Recent interfaces by Steinberg and Roland are almost neck-and-neck with each other (but behind RME and MOTU) in terms of performance, and are relatively close to each other in terms of features/price.

UltimateOutsider wrote:For Windows, no manufacturer achieves lower USB latency than RME. I've benchmarked RME against a number of other interfaces, and when running as a USB 2 device, my Fireface UFX even got slightly lower latency than my MOTU PCIe interface at the same sample rate/buffer size.

There are only maybe three USB 3 interfaces in existence, and I doubt there will be many (any?) more made. Like with PCIe, USB 3 is more about bandwidth than lower latency anyway, and USB 3 is a LOT less robust than USB 2 or other competing buses.

Of interfaces I've used/tested, MOTU offers pretty solid performance for the price. Recent interfaces by Steinberg and Roland are almost neck-and-neck with each other (but behind RME and MOTU) in terms of performance, and are relatively close to each other in terms of features/price.
I wish I had the money for an RME :( I think I'm going to try to find an old MOTU PCIe interface on eBay once I can scrape together enough cash.

UltimateOutsider wrote:For Windows, no manufacturer achieves lower USB latency than RME. I've benchmarked RME against a number of other interfaces, and when running as a USB 2 device, my Fireface UFX even got slightly lower latency than my MOTU PCIe interface at the same sample rate/buffer size.

I wish I had the money for an RME :( I think I'm going to try to find an old MOTU PCIe interface on eBay once I can scrape together enough cash.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”