Admiral Quality Poly-ana offers custom skinning (and win a free license)!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Poly-Ana

Norbz wrote:Nope, you just need to create 4 separate knobs in knobman (I might do it next time I'm up - must crash now just pulled an all nighter for this :) ).
Thanks man :tu: Have a good sleep :)
Fernando (FMR)

Norbz wrote:Nope, you just need to create 4 separate knobs in knobman (I might do it next time I'm up - must crash now just pulled an all nighter for this :) ).

H-man could probably do it too. Here's the knob BG:
Hi all. I have done new dial/knob in the style of the one above and will create a new set of my own in the next day or so, including having a shot at a new mod dial that can be used instead of the drop-down list. Stay tuned.

One thing we need to fix is the hit-box for the Global options is somewhere up near the Modulation Mixer 2 lable :hihi: ...oh well. Easily fixed.

In addition I emailed Mike last night who has provided an update ( ...paraphrasing here):

I'm working on allowing for customizing the text font, size and color in the dropdown menus, parameter display, and program selector controls. The reason I didn't put that in initially is that it's not very straight forward as it doesn't work exactly the same cross-platform, so it requires cross-platform testing.

and:

You don't need a license key to make or use skins. Just run it in demo mode, the only restriction is occasional short silent gaps in the audio output. You can even save and recall your work.

and one more:

Oh and a left-lit keyboard is coming soon too.

Looks like there is a little more work to do to make that preferred skin (the flat grey one) compliant but I am happy to work with AQ to get it to that point so don't stress 8)

Stay tuned.

Also, Ingo, did you manage to complete the xml for the wide version?

^ Great.

I did another one where I separated a lot of the main/big knobs into their own - with labels on the knobs as in the preview before/ahead (there are also NON glow/highlight versions of the knobs in the Skin folder). The ADSR knobs also display a value (1-10) under each knob (the NONGLOW versions don't have these if it's 'too much').

Download the skin: http://www.dubturbo.com/poly-ana-skin-676-flat-2.zip

not sure how much editing has already been done or if this is backtracking - if so maybe just use the XML bits for the new knobs so future skinners have more control over more knobs..
Get All My Free Plugins/Packs/Etc...
>> http://www.toneden.io/lofiradio >> :phones:

just saw this new sample based (maize) synth on the sidebar. it has a nice gui work IMHO.
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/synthet ... -tru-urban
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

H-man wrote: Hi all. I have done new dial/knob in the style of the one above and will create a new set of my own in the next day or so, including having a shot at a new mod dial that can be used instead of the drop-down list. Stay tuned.

One thing we need to fix is the hit-box for the Global options is somewhere up near the Modulation Mixer 2 lable :hihi: ...oh well. Easily fixed.
Hi,

at the beginning of the XML file you could set the border for the "hit box" of the options menu (4 values). The entry is called "<!-- Global settings -->". With ths you could place the global options hit box where you like it. Usually this is at the same place as the Admiral Quality logo.
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Norbz wrote:I did another one where I separated a lot of the main/big knobs into their own - with labels on the knobs as in the preview before/ahead (there are also NON glow/highlight versions of the knobs in the Skin folder). The ADSR knobs also display a value (1-10) under each knob (the NONGLOW versions don't have these if it's 'too much').

Not sure how much editing has already been done or if this is backtracking - if so maybe just use the XML bits for the new knobs so future skinners have more control over more knobs..
Nah, that all looks pretty useful to me Norbz :tu:

I emailed Mike who has given me a list of things to work on (some aesthetic and some just for uniformity and general branding) so I'll PM you shortly. Mike also directed me to the following link showing some of his work for the original GUI which I thought was pretty interesting and incredibly involved so I'll link it here:

http://www.admiralquality.com/TheMakingOfPoly-Ana/ (go on ..bind "sock-puppet" to F4 :roll: :lol: )

@Ingo:

Thx for the tip about the global options menu.

I have yet to have a proper go at the mod-sources as a dial so let me try it and see what I can come up with. Don't worry, all will be shared (if I can get it to work myself that is).

Norbz wrote:^ Great.

I did another one where I separated a lot of the main/big knobs into their own - with labels on the knobs as in the preview before/ahead (there are also NON glow/highlight versions of the knobs in the Skin folder). The ADSR knobs also display a value (1-10) under each knob (the NONGLOW versions don't have these if it's 'too much').

Download the skin: http://www.dubturbo.com/poly-ana-skin-676-flat-2.zip

not sure how much editing has already been done or if this is backtracking - if so maybe just use the XML bits for the new knobs so future skinners have more control over more knobs..
Hi. Thanks for your work. Downloading now.

EDIT: I tried it in Windows 10, and instead of the drop-down menus I got the big knobs as source selectors - it's a complete mess. I will try to take a look at the XML, but I thought that the drop-boxes were now the default :?

EDIT 2: SOLVED: Apparently, Mike changed ideas, and the Beta I downloaded today in my Windows 10 machine came with the big source selector knobs as default. Had to revert to the Factory skin, access global settings and change the option to the drop-down boxes. Than I reverted to the previous skin folder, and now your skin is working as expected. What reminds me: We need here a way to access the Global Settings. In the Factory skin those are accessed by clicking in the AQ logo.

Another request (being picky is in my nature :oops: ) The knob pointers are exaggerated, IMO. In the big knobs, you could just make the pointer inside the knob (with the size it's there already), without making it coming outside of it. It's not needed, IMO, and being unrealistic, it results ugly and incoherent.

For the small knobs, the pointer coming outside is needed for a matter of clarity, but the segment pointer may be smaller (the size is too big in relation with the knob size, and again it doesn't need to be so big, IMO). A smaller pointer (like half of what it is currently, or even less) may look better and already enough for clarity.

If this means too much work, never mind, but if you can and are in the mood to do it, I would like to see how it would look with my suggestions.

BTW: Displaying the envelope values in the bottom is a great idea :tu:

Regards, and once again, thanks for your work and patience
Last edited by fmr on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

double post, because of this:

EDIT 2: SOLVED: Apparently, Mike changed ideas, and the Beta I downloaded today in my Windows 10 machine came with the big source selector knobs as default. Had to revert to the Factory skin, access global settings and change the option to the dropdown boxes. Than I reverted to the previous skin folder, and now your skin is working as expected. Which reminds me: We need here a way to access the Global Settings. In the Factory skin those are accessed by clicking in the AQ logo.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:double post, because of this:

EDIT 2: SOLVED: Apparently, Mike changed ideas, and the Beta I downloaded today in my Windows 10 machine came with the big source selector knobs as default. Had to revert to the Factory skin, access global settings and change the option to the dropdown boxes. Than I reverted to the previous skin folder, and now your skin is working as expected. Which reminds me: We need here a way to access the Global Settings. In the Factory skin those are accessed by clicking in the AQ logo.
Hi,

as mentioned above the clicking area for the global menu is freely adjustable, usually at the position of the AQ logo. In the XML file you could set 4 values for the borders of the area. This is found at the first lines at the XML file. In my own skin where this is at a different position as in the default one this is woring properly.

It is quite seimple to get teh right coordinates for this when openening the background image in an editor like e.g. Windows Paint. In this case no additional "Offset" is needed like for custom knobs.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

H-man wrote:..Mike also directed me to the following link showing some of his work for the original GUI which I thought was pretty interesting and incredibly involved so I'll link it here:

http://www.admiralquality.com/TheMakingOfPoly-Ana/ (go on ..bind "sock-puppet" to F4 :roll: :lol: )
Very cool! So this whole thing was actually designed in wireframe/3D first with actual objects and textures/skins etc. The thinking is great and the rendering is done nicely. The end result/skin should still be available including source files for those that do 3D (even convert the file to the top 3-5 3D software templates, might yield some amazing skins from 3d artists).

Great for ideas and a cool way to document how this was all thought out +1 Mike.

I'm going to wait until the current run through is done before I touch it again - I think doing any changes from here while they are doing changes/xml/setup/etc is going to create too many version overlaps and more work.

Once done I'll whip up a few more, maybe even do a set of 10 knob/button/switch types and you guys can have a Mr.PotatoHead UI where you can mix/match/dress as you please :).

EDIT: Note for Mike: Not sure how much risk this is but if possible - you should create on screen buttons for changing the skins on the fly (simply call the next folder alphabetically in the current folder) - OR - going one step further - say if my skin has 10 backgrounds, 10 knob types, 10 switches (all universal to each other re size), create on screen buttons to change them on the fly so the user can select their background, knob/button/switch type without having to go outside the daw or mess with naming/renaming/changing skins manually. That would also be quite the USP for you - a truly 'skinnable/themable' ui with a ui for ui lol).

EDIT2: You should give designers access to these screens too - there is no continuity and they look kinda funny/too much 3d/stuff (which I don't usually say).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Norbz wrote:
EDIT: Note for Mike: Not sure how much risk this is but if possible - you should create on screen buttons for changing the skins on the fly (simply call the next folder alphabetically in the current folder) - OR - going one step further - say if my skin has 10 backgrounds, 10 knob types, 10 switches (all universal to each other re size), create on screen buttons to change them on the fly so the user can select their background, knob/button/switch type without having to go outside the daw or mess with naming/renaming/changing skins manually. That would also be quite the USP for you - a truly 'skinnable/themable' ui with a ui for ui lol).
Mr.PotatoHead GUI for the GUI idea mockup - just a concept, probably hard to implement but I let my creativity just go and think this kind of setup would be great for end users:

----

EDIT: As I flesh this out - I actually think this is doable. Simply call the first x letters of an element to create a rule for that category. So all buttons starting with 'bigknob' would be categorized and stay within those choices if you click next/back on that element... Then any custom ones people do can be classed differently and rendered/changed in alt screens/pages. You could then offer a quick preset save option so users can save their PotatoHead mishmashes and recall them easily.

Norbz wrote:
Norbz wrote:
Mr.PotatoHead GUI for the GUI idea mockup - just a concept, probably hard to implement but I let my creativity just go and think this kind of setup would be great for end users:

----

EDIT: As I flesh this out - I actually think this is doable. Simply call the first x letters of an element to create a rule for that category. So all buttons starting with 'bigknob' would be categorized and stay within those choices if you click next/back on that element... Then any custom ones people do can be classed differently and rendered/changed in alt screens/pages. You could then offer a quick preset save option so users can save their PotatoHead mishmashes and recall them easily.

Bro do you ever sleep!?! This looks good to me and mechanically it's not that heavy, the drop-down values feed into the XML and you're done. One Skins folder with a bunch of possibilities.

There may be devils in the detail of course but I like it. I'm sure some talented coder could build this menu in an afternoon(or less) and I know it will take you about half and hour to do the grafix :lol:

:).

So based on Mike's feedback and with H-man's help, we're going to pull back a bit and just get a skin ready that Mike see's as acceptable before doing anything fancy with the knobs highlights (we need MANY different types of highlight knob types with different treatments re directions/degrees.., then new knobs in the xml, then trial/error), or any other extra custom knobs/adsr/etc.

I've
- Reverted to previous standard BG and knobs, took some of the points from above re pointer/length/etc.
- Made all fonts on the UI standardized re color/shade, font, a few sizes to help the eye differentiate.
- Moved things around a touch re fine tuning.
- Mike really wants the on/off button to have a lot of variation for those that are color blind so if you take a screenshot and desaturate to gray you can see a difference (good point, so I made lil' -- and + for the on/off state and made them brighter in the off state).

H-man here's the .zip of the skin and psd to keep going from - not sure which XML file you have now compared to the versions we've done..

http://www.dubturbo.com/poly-ana-norbz-676-3.zip

Norbz wrote::).

So based on Mike's feedback and with H-man's help, we're going to pull back a bit and just get a skin ready that Mike see's as acceptable before doing anything fancy with the knobs highlights (we need MANY different types of highlight knob types with different treatments re directions/degrees..,
Yeah this is what I was trying to say about the different knobs. It's not right to highlight the left half when the default is at noon for bi-directional knobs. But I wasn't sure if that was something the skinning could handle. For now I think the latest looks good without the highlights. Thanks for your efforts!

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Yeah this is what I was trying to say about the different knobs. It's not right to highlight the left half when the default is at noon for bi-directional knobs. But I wasn't sure if that was something the skinning could handle. For now I think the latest looks good without the highlights. Thanks for your efforts!
No it can be done. I just sent an example to Norbz. We'll get to it soon enough :wink:

Return to “Instruments”