Xhip + effects vs Jupiter 8 + drum machine + effects

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Found this video on YT, liked the sound, so i tried to get something in the same ballpark with my 100% free (except REAPER) setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljS4z5roK44

And no ! :)
It is not that kind of thread.
There is no question on which is which, because it is pretty obvious which is the original after you see the video i linked and hear the noise on the right side.
There is no money involved, no months of tweaking the patch and no Jupiter 8 with that exact patch on my desk that would make it possible to get the patch on Xhip a LOT closer and of course i have only a dim idea on what settings he used on his delay and reverb units, also Xhip is not a Jupiter 8 emulation...

So here it is:
[edit]app.box.com/s/bv7moknch6tgemvyh4ea5pvert92mjjk (old version)
New V3 version here:
https://app.box.com/s/nrw5m952i95cogl7cka90w7uaj4x17i2

Just a short piece of the whole song, because i don't want break the borders of "fair use".
What is the purpose of this thread ?
To show what is possible with a good free synth and some free effects and few hours of free time.

ps. Normally i would post it in one of already existing Xhip threads, but it seems like some evil forces closed the last one and maybe even banned the dev...

Oh and the drums on Xhips side, i half-assed them, so don't yell at me because they sound totally different. :)
Still, they sound pretty nice, nice enough for me to save them for future use.
Last edited by Mutant on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

It does sound very 80's :) But that has more to do with what you played, not with the stuff you used imho. I could do the same in Sylenth and maybe even old SE synths like SuperWave stuff.

The Jupiter sounds more defined and crisper, more sparkling and alive somehow to my ears, not as hollow.

fluffy_little_something wrote:It does sound very 80's :) But that has more to do with what you played, not with the stuff you used imho. I could do the same in Sylenth and maybe even old SE synths like SuperWave stuff.
Sure. :)
I could even try for the same sound in Synth1.
fluffy_little_something wrote: The Jupiter sounds more defined and crisper, more sparkling and alive somehow to my ears, not as hollow.
Voxengo SPAN shows some differences in the spectrum, but i was too lazy to correct them, maybe i cut too much high freqencies on Xhip.
Also i am aware that drums are louder on one side and synth is louder on the other side.

Lend me a Jupiter 8 and pay 100$ and i will get it much closer. :)

btw. The effects i used were NastyDLAmkII, epicVerb, FerricTDS and REAPER's ReaEQ.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:but it seems like some evil forces closed the last one and maybe even banned the dev...
aciddose closed the thread and left kvr because some people were insulting him and he obviously had enough. I'm not close to him, just read a few threads and saw what happened. you could try to contact him via his site.

I hope he'll come back. kvr needs people like him. :tu:

Got the loudness a bit closer with faders and a limiter on the master.
Also tweaked the EQ some more on Xhip:
More bass on Xhip (green) side is caused by more bassy kick drum (checked it by muting it) - not going to tweak the drum, because i like it this way.
Version 2:
https://app.box.com/s/0f3vw1baqjpn3n3tbvdu2uhfu3numm6w

A bit bored with it, so there will be no V3. :D
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Misunderstanding, deleted...
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I think one reason it sounds different is that your version is too stereo, whereas with the J8 video most of the sound is in the center, only with delay on the wings. Compare them on headphones and you will notice the difference more easily.
Too much stereo makes sounds weaker and thinner. I like it with pads on Sylenth, but for basses, leads etc. I tend to leave the stereo knobs in the center position.
Wait a second. :)
I thought i made it pretty clear that in my audio file, original is on the right and Xhip + Xhip drums is on the left.
Can't make it less stereo without matching the sound almost perfectly, which is impossible. :)
So don't compare the video with my wav, compare left and right sides in my wav. :oops:
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Oh, sorry, did not read your entire post :oops: I just roughly scanned your post and thought it would be box file vs YT video 8)
Makes me wonder, what is the point in doing it the way you did? 8)

Acid is gone?! Sorry to hear that. He has a way that pisses some people off, so he should not be surprised when he gets certain replies...
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Makes me wonder, what is the point in doing it the way you did? 8)
It is because of my MIDI notes copying workflow, when the original has human timing i use a stereo sonogram in Dust Analyzer to see which notes i need to move forward or back.
Then i just leave it like that, because then it is more like 2 machines playing in the same room. :)
I am not very interested in getting them perfectly matched, just making them close enough so they can play together.

Same as with my Polymoog Vox Humana attempt.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9#p6199999
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:ps. Normally i would post it in one of already existing Xhip threads, but it seems like some evil forces closed the last one and maybe even banned the dev...
As someone has already pointed out, the "evil forces" that locked that were aciddose (which is pretty clear from the last post in it). As for "maybe even banned"--do you see the words "Banned" or "Suspended" under aciddose's username?
scintillator wrote:aciddose closed the thread and left kvr
Did he announce that somewhere? He was still posting here this morning.
No longer a moderator.

D.H. Miltz wrote:
Mutant wrote:ps. Normally i would post it in one of already existing Xhip threads, but it seems like some evil forces closed the last one and maybe even banned the dev...
As someone has already pointed out, the "evil forces" that locked that were aciddose (which is pretty clear from the last post in it). As for "maybe even banned"--do you see the words "Banned" or "Suspended" under aciddose's username?
scintillator wrote:aciddose closed the thread and left kvr
Did he announce that somewhere? He was still posting here this morning.
The "evil forces" part was not serious at all, maybe i forgot to include an emoticon. :) :wink:
And looks like i missed some of his posts over the last few days, before clising his thread he posted like 30 times a day.
----------

Last V3 version here:
https://app.box.com/s/nrw5m952i95cogl7cka90w7uaj4x17i2
Changed the drums, this allowed me to match the loudness (RMS) and the spectrum a bit closer than before.
Removed the limiter, because it made the drums too powerful on both sides.
The right side (original) peaks 1.5dB higher, but is 0.2dB quieter by RMS.
And don't get me wrong, i still think that they are quite different when listening to A, then B - just close enough that they can play together like this.

And my work here is done, next target (impossible difficulty) Tangerine Dream - Thief - Diamond Diary :D
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Facepalm...
Sometimes it is good to click "show more" on the bottom of YT comments haha !
Looks like it is a modified factory patch 35/36.
A quick Google search and this came up:
http://www.synthmania.com/Roland%20Jupi ... sheets.pdf
Would be a good start to have these settings when copying the sound... lol
Well, but i had fun and that is what really matters.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

The control setting maps look like copies of copies of copies, lucky those who know the Jupiter 8 inside out :roll:

Mutant wrote:The "evil forces" part was not serious at all, maybe i forgot to include an emoticon. :) :wink:
Ah. Got it.
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Instruments”