Favourite Synths that uses 10% or less of your cpu

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

inisyn'X and PolyKB II Player.

Depending on your syste and patches of course.

Another good thing with those two excellent synths is that they're not expensive at all :-)

EnGee wrote:From u-he synths, zebra 2 was the most efficient in cpu usage (I think it was like 10% average usage), and Hive is about 20% (with my PC).
I'm surprised to hear that since Hive is supposed to use some new techniques for CPU efficiency. It's very efficient for me, especially with high voice counts.

best efficiency off the top of my head:

Massive (used to be a cpu killer 8 years ago lol)
Absynth (if you like that sort of thing)
Zebra (pretty amazing cpu usage)

George wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:
George wrote:I'd like to see a SynthBench at KVR someday, based on CPU power / voice usage ratio. It will be fun :)
I suggested that some time ago, but people here said it would not be possible to come up with a reliable ranking...
I can't see why not. Using a standard benchmark for single core CPU, then applying it with a baseline VST host like VSTHost and measuring it with a default single voice patch to be reproducible in any synth. It would be a bit time consuming but can give reliable results from trusted sources.

For example, Corona is getting 2.2% CPU for a single note (sawtooth waves, filter open, fast adsr, no modulations) with 3 oscillators on a i7 mobile at 3,4 Ghz using AU Lab 32-bit application. Geekbench gives 3507 points to a single core, so with some equations we could get how much would it be like in other CPUs.
Interesting idea :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Uncle E wrote:
EnGee wrote:From u-he synths, zebra 2 was the most efficient in cpu usage (I think it was like 10% average usage), and Hive is about 20% (with my PC).
I'm surprised to hear that since Hive is supposed to use some new techniques for CPU efficiency. It's very efficient for me, especially with high voice counts.
It's far from being cpu hog! But I compared it with Hybrid 3 (Hive was beta demo) and it used more cpu than Hybrid 3 (which still much less than Spire for example).

Albino 2.

Try to beat that, noobs!

All the Tone2 Synths are very low CPU. Electra2 and Nemesis would be my pick.

DUNE 1....

It is also the synth that I use the most....

Even though I own a few other synths,(including DUNE 2),I can get so many of the sounds I need out of DUNE 1...

And with extremely low CPU counts :wink:
No auto tune...

Waldorf Nave plugin has a very low CPU use too, even with maximum Unison. Largo is much better since teh 64-bit update too and the old PPG Wave 2.V is very low anyway (while 3.V uses a reasonable amount of CPU too).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

db3 wrote:All the Tone2 Synths are very low CPU. Electra2 and Nemesis would be my pick.
+1
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

scintillator wrote:Albino 2.

Try to beat that, noobs!
Well, I still use Pro-53 and FM7 which use under 1% of my i7.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

scintillator wrote:Albino 2.

Try to beat that, noobs!
Still love Albino 3 and it is indeed very low on CPU. :hug:

AFAIK Albino 2 back around 2005 was my second softsynth besides Korg Legacy Collection (the original one).
Ingo Weidner

Can someone tell me how much cpu Albino 3 uses? Does it have 64bit? Can the license be transferred if bought?

I really felt sorry for letting this wonderful synth fall down! Mostly I would have it now, and just before someone say it, No! it is not the same as Predator! I have demoed the two, and they are not the same.

EnGee wrote:Can someone tell me how much cpu Albino 3 uses? Does it have 64bit? Can the license be transferred if bought?

I really felt sorry for letting this wonderful synth fall down! Mostly I would have it now, and just before someone say it, No! it is not the same as Predator! I have demoed the two, and they are not the same.
Albino 3 is discontinued so you will not be able to transfer AFAIK. The last versions were indeed 64-bit.

I just checked it here at my old Core 2 Quad !6600 CPU, windows 10 64-bit and Live 9.2.1 64-bit.

Actually with pad sounds the CPU use was not as low as i had remembered (uo to around 20% in the Live display). also checked the Waldorf Nave plugin again and this seems to have the same or even lower CPU use than Albino 3, even when using a pad sound.

I was playing the pads with overlapping notes, not just with holding a chord which could make a huge difference, especially with long envelope release times.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
EnGee wrote:Can someone tell me how much cpu Albino 3 uses? Does it have 64bit? Can the license be transferred if bought?

Albino 3 is discontinued so you will not be able to transfer AFAIK. The last versions were indeed 64-bit.

I just checked it here at my old Core 2 Quad !6600 CPU, windows 10 64-bit and Live 9.2.1 64-bit.

Actually with pad sounds the CPU use was not as low as i had remembered (uo to around 20% in the Live display). also checked the Waldorf Nave plugin again and this seems to have the same or even lower CPU use than Albino 3, even when using a pad sound.

I was playing the pads with overlapping notes, not just with holding a chord which could make a huge difference, especially with long envelope release times.
Thank you Ingo, that's why I said in the first post that I appreciated if you post the cpu usage with one line of your setup.

I know many of us would be surprised if they take the time and measure the cpu usage according to their system. Some, plugins would be higher than we expected and some also lower.

Return to “Instruments”