Alchemy available in logic now

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alchemy Logic Pro

Now I wonder if they're launch CamelPhat and CamelSpace for Logic too...

aMUSEd wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:Cool stuff Simon, looks like the new Applechemy is not that bad afterall!
Cheers, Seb - I'm picking out my raisins from the cake and I am discovering some things too, I've had my rant so now it's time to look ahead.
Hence the 'yay!". It will be great to see what you come up with. Personally I am finding lots to like about the new version even if the spectral editor is still a pain to use.
Thank's Stephen, for me the challenge will be to produce source material which re-synthesizes well as I can't stand that garbling whining sound anymore when things don't really suit the resynth-algos that Alchemy offers. So it's more like going with the alchemistic flow.

Still I would expect that the dev team has a further vision of how to improve the spectral and the additive editor, this can't be it. I assume they needed more time, money and manpower to accomplish the next step of these synthesis forms.
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

splitnotes wrote:
B_Stone wrote:
jackmazzotti wrote:they got rid of the .tun file capability
hahaha what a joke!
apple will have to make there own special exclusive tuning system that only their synths use
Apple doesn't own scala or .tun so you are forbidden to use it
Logic Pro X has a sophisticated custom tuning system with about 100 presets and a simple editor for creating your own tuning systems. Pretty easy and it works on all plug-ins provided by Apple. It nice to set this system up and then have a wide range of instruments that follow the tuning system.
Let's be honest, Logic's microtuning capabilities aren't as good as the capabilities that were dropped from Alchemy since the VST version.

Want to use a tuning that has more than 12 notes? Can't do it... You're limited to 12.

Want to use a scale which doesn't repeat at the octave? For example scales with stretched octaves like the traditional music of Indonesia. Or modern scales such as Wendy Carlos' scales which repeat at the perfect fifth. Or the Bohlen-Pierce scale which repeats at the perfect twelfth. Just not possible on Logic.

Need to use a tuning with many small intervals in a row? You're kinda stuck because Logic will only let you do +/- 100 cents from the equal-tempered semitones.

Want to do all of the above? Specify your tuning as a .tun file and load it up in the original version of Alchemy, or in any of various other synths which support this crucial feature.

Logic's tuning system is a toy; not fit for purpose.
.scl and .tun are the standards but Apple only likes things they invent or own.
Keeping the the .tun and making it an AU would mean people that don't use Logic could use it which is wrong.
Why would Apple want that? I mean Apple owns Logic so everything else is just wrong and inferior.
Omnishpere, Serum and Zebra use .tun. Those synths are wrong.

sweet, beautiful melancholy !

:o ...reminds me of some "phaedra" tune of tangerine dream, in less dark and (slightly) more welcoming in the harmonies
Last edited by Krakatau on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:Cool stuff Simon, looks like the new Applechemy is not that bad afterall!
Cheers, Seb - I'm picking out my raisins from the cake and I am discovering some things too, I've had my rant so now it's time to look ahead.
Hence the 'yay!". It will be great to see what you come up with. Personally I am finding lots to like about the new version even if the spectral editor is still a pain to use.
Thank's Stephen, for me the challenge will be to produce source material which re-synthesizes well as I can't stand that garbling whining sound anymore when things don't really suit the resynth-algos that Alchemy offers. So it's more like going with the alchemistic flow.

Still I would expect that the dev team has a further vision of how to improve the spectral and the additive editor, this can't be it. I assume they needed more time, money and manpower to accomplish the next step of these synthesis forms.
Yes that's my feeling too, I really don't see them lying on desert islands drinking cocktails, I think they realised what they could potentially accomplish with more secure backing.

jackmazzotti wrote:
splitnotes wrote:
B_Stone wrote:
jackmazzotti wrote:they got rid of the .tun file capability
hahaha what a joke!
apple will have to make there own special exclusive tuning system that only their synths use
Apple doesn't own scala or .tun so you are forbidden to use it
Logic Pro X has a sophisticated custom tuning system with about 100 presets and a simple editor for creating your own tuning systems. Pretty easy and it works on all plug-ins provided by Apple. It nice to set this system up and then have a wide range of instruments that follow the tuning system.
Let's be honest, Logic's microtuning capabilities aren't as good as the capabilities that were dropped from Alchemy since the VST version.

Want to use a tuning that has more than 12 notes? Can't do it... You're limited to 12.

Want to use a scale which doesn't repeat at the octave? For example scales with stretched octaves like the traditional music of Indonesia. Or modern scales such as Wendy Carlos' scales which repeat at the perfect fifth. Or the Bohlen-Pierce scale which repeats at the perfect twelfth. Just not possible on Logic.

Need to use a tuning with many small intervals in a row? You're kinda stuck because Logic will only let you do +/- 100 cents from the equal-tempered semitones.

Want to do all of the above? Specify your tuning as a .tun file and load it up in the original version of Alchemy, or in any of various other synths which support this crucial feature.

Logic's tuning system is a toy; not fit for purpose.
.scl and .tun are the standards but Apple only likes things they invent or own.
Logic has been able to use Scala tunings for years. That being said I do agree it would be better on a per instrument basis rather than per project, they should have left it as it was (but I guess if they did they need to add it to the other instruments for consistency - especially Sculpture really needs this).

Sampleconstruct wrote:
To be honest I haven’t found a plugin yet that perfectly does resynthesis on all source materials. It’s always try this and that, redo and retry… Alchemy, Harmor, Morphine, VirSyn Cube, Vertigo, you name it they all have cons and downsides that lead to garbling digital bubbles.
So far the most solid one is a non-plugin standalone tool. Yep that’s right, MetaSynth.

Neon Breath wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
To be honest I haven’t found a plugin yet that perfectly does resynthesis on all source materials. It’s always try this and that, redo and retry… Alchemy, Harmor, Morphine, VirSyn Cube, Vertigo, you name it they all have cons and downsides that lead to garbling digital bubbles.
So far the most solid one is a non-plugin standalone tool. Yep that’s right, MetaSynth.
That also has its own frustrations. Nothing is perfect (probably a good thing, if it was there would be nothing to strive for)

Neon Breath wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
True, Metasynth is by far the queen in that domain, and that algo must be like more than 15 years old, but I only bought into it with version 4 so I don't know exactly when the current state of resynthesis was accomplished in MS.

aMUSEd wrote:
Yes that's my feeling too, I really don't see them lying on desert islands drinking cocktails, I think they realised what they could potentially accomplish with more secure backing.
LOL, no, the picture of Sir Ben which was glued to the KVR front page for about a decade did not give the impression of him being a party stallion :D

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
True, Metasynth is by far the queen in that domain, and that algo must be like more than 15 years old, but I only bought into it with version 4 so I don't know exactly when the current state of resynthesis was accomplished in MS.
Metasynth is in it's own class but they got rid of their cross convolution synthesis unfortunately. I have no idea why. It was amazing. I begged the guys at Metasynth to make it a plugin but they can't seem to see the forest for the trees. There is also Photosounder. I don't think anything can do what it does in the time domain. Not even Ircam TS (which is another sound design must have).

VitaminD wrote:Now I wonder if they're launch CamelPhat and CamelSpace for Logic too...
That would be my other question (aside from "when the hell is the rest of Logic getting retina GUI updates??"). It would be nice, since I find CamelSpace to be quite unique and used it in some of my projects.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Here is a patch using additive re-synthesis of a sound I made in Photosounder, that sample is also being used in the convolution reverb, quite amazing what one can do with a only a single source. The new Comb PM filter sounds brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6_ThgrDlkU

Sampleconstruct wrote:Here is a patch using additive re-synthesis of a sound I made in Photosounder, that sample is also being used in the convolution reverb, quite amazing what one can do with a only a single source. The new Comb PM filter sounds brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6_ThgrDlkU
Great videos... thank´s a lot for this sir!

Some things need a bit longer to achieve as in other synths but i love it so far really.
Here i made an experimental pad/soundscape patch in a few minutes. I imported 4 of my own sound sources (which i created myself with my favourite iPad synths).
I even didn´t uses any pad remix changes here just some modulations.
I think i´m going to learn this thing now finally in depth :D
https://soundcloud.com/cinebient/alchem ... experiment

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”