Organs - An Embarrassment of Riches

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I see that UVI has released a new organ suite that includes, among others, a Hammond B3 instrument. Plus, there is the new DB-33 from Air Music Tech. I have NI B4, NI Vintage Organs and Kore '57 Drawbar, but am wondering which of the new crop to get - any thoughts? Plus, how well does GSI VB3 stand up to these new entries?
Last edited by bharris22 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You certainly meant "NI Vintage Organs", the "Retro Organs" are a UVI product.

Anyway, as an owner of the Retro Organs I'm pretty fascinated by the variety of sounds offered by the Retro Organ Suite. Also, as far as I know, it includes the first ever emulation of a Korg CX-3. Since there is a special upgrade price for R.O. owners, it's really hard to resist.

But there's one remark on UVI's product website that's making me a little bit reluctant:

"Miscellaneous : Hammer B Instrument includes content from former Retro Organs."

Which means I need to contact UVI to find out whether the Hammer B model of the Suite only contains sounds already available in R.O. or whether there are new Hammond sounds included as well.

Regarding the DB-33 by Air Music, the website says it's an "AIR-proprietary vintage organ model". I'm not sure whether that means it's not a normal (DLL-based) VSTi but requires another AIR instrument to run. Does anyone know?

With regard to GSI VB3, I already mentioned in other threads that (it looks like) there's no development going on anymore. The current version 1.04 has been offered for at least 3 years, if I remember correctly. I would be careful with spending money for it.

You might be interested in Hammr+ by Sound Dust, which is very good at emulating vintage Hammond sounds. By the way, I'm about to sell my license of Hammr+. Just drop me a line if you're interested.

VB3 is still the best.

Thank you both (and yes, I did mean NI Vintage Organs - I will correct that). I just bought Hammr+ in Sound Dust's recent sale, though, so I am covered there :).

I think I will end up buying DB-33 (as I can get an upgrade price for it), and will probably wait a while for the UVI (although I want it, too). At some point I need to pick up VB3, as well, but as it never seems to go on sale there doesn't seem to be a rush.

Skorpius wrote:
Regarding the DB-33 by Air Music, the website says it's an "AIR-proprietary vintage organ model". I'm not sure whether that means it's not a normal (DLL-based) VSTi but requires another AIR instrument to run. Does anyone know?
It's a normal plugin. It doesn't require another product of Air instruments to run.

It's not as if VB3 is terribly expensive either. It's cheaper than DB-33...

If VB3 is so good, why don't Apple just buy it and put into Logic?

EnGee wrote:
Skorpius wrote:
It's a normal plugin. It doesn't require another product of Air instruments to run.
Thanks, EnGee, that's good to know.

I tested DB-33 and didn't liked it. I seriously miss my VB3, but Guido doesn't care about a update for 64 bit on Mac. I've sent a e-mail to Yonac Software, about porting the Galileo from iPad to Audio Unit and they said that they will do it, but I don't own a iPad and don't really know about the sonic quality of these.

Maybe I'm too close-minded, but Hammond is a case where I think that modelled should be better than sampled.

waltercruz wrote:Maybe I'm too close-minded, but Hammond is a case where I think that modelled should be better than sampled.
That's not closed-mindedness, it's a scientific fact. :)

Numanoid wrote:If VB3 is so good, why don't Apple just buy it and put into Logic?
no need. logic's b3 is fantastic as well.

waltercruz wrote:I tested DB-33 and didn't liked it.
Me neither. And the 'overdrive' is awful.
waltercruz wrote:I seriously miss my VB3, but Guido doesn't care about a update for 64 bit on Mac.
VB3 works just fine in Logic through 32 Lives!

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

+1 for VB3 of course, coupled with external leslie plugin like MRotary, MVintageRotary

Samples may be fine when you're just playing static sounds, but when you start pulling those drawbars and pushing those buttons, there's no substitute for the modeled approach. VB3 is the most authentic and complete model in my opinion then, with stuff such as harmonic foldback and drawbar leakage modeled in.
The rotary sim has been done better though, hence the additional plugins.
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

EvilDragon wrote:
waltercruz wrote:Maybe I'm too close-minded, but Hammond is a case where I think that modelled should be better than sampled.
That's not closed-mindedness, it's a scientific fact. :)
Not scientific fact, more like potential of being better is the way I would put it.

And if done right also widely more flexible providing proper emulation of each function like percussion and if also providing individual settings for each of the 96 tonewheels like hardware digital Hammonds to control frequency content of each wheel, to sound right when added to other drawbars.

Digital hardware Hammonds also provide various settings for vibrato/chorus settings to get that right.

And the amp stage in XK3-series provides massive amount of settings for tubes - two real tube types AU7/AX7, and combine with different crossovers frequencies running either for lows/highs, alter bias for each stage to clip on lower/upper halfwave or anywhere in between.

All these things affect frequency content and the tone.

Didn't NI replace the modelled B4 and B4 II with a Kontakt version(is that the Vintage Organs, or separate B3)?
Rather than releasing a 64-bit version of B4 they did that.
So they obviously didn't think it was too bad - haven't tried it though.

If you love the Hammond sound, go Hammond and you will never look at these plugins again. Even a Hammond XK1 I had replace these easily and go for about $400-$500 or so. Works pretty good as midi keyboard stuff for recording too. So adding cost for your midi keyboard and these plugins you can buy the real deal.

lfm wrote:If you love the Hammond sound, go Hammond and you will never look at these plugins again. Even a Hammond XK1 I had replace these easily and go for about $400-$500 or so. Works pretty good as midi keyboard stuff for recording too. So adding cost for your midi keyboard and these plugins you can buy the real deal.
I agree. I bought a Hammond M-3 at the end of last year and love it. Had it wired for direct line output, so now I can run direct into my interface, or (as I usually do) into a Ventilator pedal and then into a Blackstar HT-1R amp with reverb - it sounds fantastic, even through headphones. The setup is difficult to carry, though :) - hence, the search for plugins.

Return to “Instruments”