Covert volume pedal to USB/MIDI

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have wanted to buy a MIDI expression pedal for a while so I can control various amp sim software, but funds are a little tight right now. I have a few volume pedals and keyboard expression pedals kicking around, and seem to remember that there's a piece of hardware that can do the conversion.

Google yields a ton of results, but can't seem to find the one I was thinking of. Anyone aware of a product or products that fit the description?
Sweet child in time...

Are you into DIY at all? It's pretty simple nowadays to build your own converter with one of the cheap microcontoller boards around at the moment (arduino, teensy etc)

I did exactly this a while back, wired a few pots and sockets to an arduino board I had lying around so I have a simple midi controller that you can plug a couple of footswitches and a volume pedal into.

Even simpler would be to use a Teensy LC which can function as a class compliant usb midi device (ie. no drivers or separate midi cables needed). Obviously some programming is involved if you're up for that. I think they go for ~$10 in the US.

The old SoundBlaster cards also featured an analog joystick connector (or two) which were basically A/D converters for two potmeters on each joystick. This allowed me for nearly zero costs to convert a scrapheaped RadioShack 4-channel audio mixer to a fader + buttons controller. Software needed: Joy2Midi I think it was called. Some extra 1/4" inputs allowed me to plug in volume pedals.
Fun DIY project for the days, gathering dust now... If I wanted to do it again, an Arduino or maybe Raspberry Pi would probably be the way to go.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

OK, that's a few good ideas there. Thanks guys.
Sweet child in time...

Actually, while I'm at it - does anyone know of a good cheap USB expression pedal? As conversion isn't so straightforward, what about budget MIDI pedals? I know of a few expensive ones, but I'll leave that until some future time.
Sweet child in time...

Do you have a MIDI keyboard or controller with a expression pedal input? That way you could use one of your existing analog pedals to do this at no further cost.

I hadn't actually thought of that - I have other controller, but I just didn't think about connecting to them. DOH!
Sweet child in time...

knockman wrote:Do you have a MIDI keyboard or controller with a expression pedal input?
This. I use 2 midi pedal controllers connected to a ReMOTE SL ... PUSH has similar connections too.

Been looking online. Seems I need a CV output on the pedal for it to work and not sure that mine have that capability. However, there do seem to be a few relatively cheap and rugged ones online that do.

Looks like I can pick up a Behringer FCV100 (yes, I know...but I don't have the funds for anything more expensive right now...) for $30 and that appears to have a CV mode. Anyone used one of these or anything else that is switchable to CV mode like this?
Sweet child in time...

What controller needs CV on the input of an expression pedal? Because that's quite rare...

You can convert any expression pedal to send out a CV if needed with a DC power source (9V battery or 3 AA's get you close to the required 5V) and maybe some resistors.

Not CV on the input, but on the output. Just wondering if all controllers that have a 1/4" jack for the expression pedal input use CV so that I just need to worry about whether or not the pedal can output CV.

None of my existing pedals have CV output so I can't use them.
Sweet child in time...

Well it usually works like this: the expression pedal jack has 3 conductors: tip, ring & sleeve. The keyboard supplies a steady voltage on say ring & sleeve. The pot (controlled by you foot) then gives back a lower voltage between the tip & sleeve. Maybe I swapped the tip & ring, but that's just technical details.

Anyway, what if you connect a pedal that outputs a CV by itself? Well, if it's on the proper conductors (say tip & sleeve) then the keyboard senses a voltage, just as it expects. There might be some tiny details though. What if the keyboard sends out 5V and receives maximally not 5 but 4 or 6V? Calibration of either the pedal or by the keyboard could be the answer.

Another thing: if the connector of the pedal is just tip & sleeve without ring (a mono plug instead of stereo) it could short-cirquit the current supplied by the keyboard. If the keyboard is properly designed (you could by accident plug in a mono lead into the expression pedal jack) it would not do any harm. But whether it's good on the long term I wouldn't know. If the keyboard is badlt designed you could fry it's power supply.

That was the scenario where the pedal outputs a CV. But I don't know of any keyboard that expects a CV to be fed by the pedal, because that would require a battery or power supply on the pedal. Very unusual... Conventionally expression pedals are passive devices: just containing a foot-controlled pot meter wired to a "stereo" lead.

So my question to you: what is the make & model of your keyboard controller? We could then look up the tech specs for the expression pedal.

This expression pedal has CV output - I'll probably just buy one as they're not too expensive:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCV100.aspx
Sweet child in time...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”