Favourite Synths that uses 10% or less of your cpu

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there any synth not listed here? :-)

Serum, Spire, Diva, Aalto, Kaivo, Bazille, Omnisphere, JP6K.

When I think of high quality and low CPU usage, I think of Helix.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

2ZrgE wrote:Serum, Spire, Diva, Aalto, Kaivo, Bazille, Omnisphere, JP6K.
Don't troll please.

EnGee wrote:
Don't troll please.
I think he was replying to the post before his :)

sfd wrote:Is there any synth not listed here? :-)
I havent seen anyone mentioning SynthMaster. Prior to v2.7 the analog filter consumed a lot of CPU, but starting with v2.7 we made some improvements on that regard by introducing 3 algorithms, so the CPU usage has improved dramatically.
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

fluffy_little_something wrote:
EnGee wrote:
Don't troll please.
I think he was replying to the post before his :)
Yes I noticed the silly question but there is no need to answer it. The answer looked like trolling.

EnGee wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Actually with pad sounds the CPU use was not as low as i had remembered (uo to around 20% in the Live display).

Thank you Ingo, that's why I said in the first post that I appreciated if you post the cpu usage with one line of your setup.

I know many of us would be surprised if they take the time and measure the cpu usage according to their system. Some, plugins would be higher than we expected and some also lower.

Why would you use Live's CPU meter? Everyone and their dog knows it is absolutely NOT correct and honestly I don't know why it's there at all. I measure CPU performance with e.g. Process Explorer or Reaper's Performance Meter. But Live's and Fruity's CPU meters are worthless. 20% of one core on an i7 or 20% of all cores? Who knows? Who cares?
Etc.

Don't DAW meters obtain the CPU load from the Windows Task Manager?

toothnclaw wrote: Why would you use Live's CPU meter? Everyone and their dog knows it is absolutely NOT correct and honestly I don't know why it's there at all. I measure CPU performance with e.g. Process Explorer or Reaper's Performance Meter. But Live's and Fruity's CPU meters are worthless. 20% of one core on an i7 or 20% of all cores? Who knows? Who cares?
Etc.
A better measurement taken would be by measuring it from within the plugin itself (that's what we do in SynthMaster). Also, the measurement taken should be per CPU in my opinion. Some hosts like Reaper show CPU % in terms of total number of CPUs, that might be misleading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

toothnclaw wrote:
EnGee wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Actually with pad sounds the CPU use was not as low as i had remembered (uo to around 20% in the Live display).

Thank you Ingo, that's why I said in the first post that I appreciated if you post the cpu usage with one line of your setup.

I know many of us would be surprised if they take the time and measure the cpu usage according to their system. Some, plugins would be higher than we expected and some also lower.

Why would you use Live's CPU meter? Everyone and their dog knows it is absolutely NOT correct and honestly I don't know why it's there at all. I measure CPU performance with e.g. Process Explorer or Reaper's Performance Meter. But Live's and Fruity's CPU meters are worthless. 20% of one core on an i7 or 20% of all cores? Who knows? Who cares?
Etc.

Because if Live's CPU meter reaches around 95% you will get audio dropouts. What the Windows CPU display shows does not really matter in that case...

Besides that most plugins do not support multicore so the dispalay in Live shows the use for one Core. With multiple instances also multiple Cores will be used.

Anyway no matter how you measure it if the Live CPU display reaches 100% you have a big problem...

FWIW i also got Cubase 8 and many plugins do use sklightly less CPU there.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

didn't read the whole topic but vanguard, pro53 are my two favourite "zero" (really that's how it is on any decent machine these days) cpu synths.

as far as low cpu well there are quite a few!

but my FAVE are the korg collection :) All of them.

Ingonator wrote:Because if Live's CPU meter reaches around 95% you will get audio dropouts.
That is entirely the problem of Live and the hardware, not relevant to plugin CPU usage.
Ingonator wrote:What the Windows CPU display shows does not really matter in that case...
Of course it does, because it's accurate; Live's is NOT accurate. Or use third party diagnostics software - even MORE accurate than Task Manager.
Ingonator wrote:Anyway no matter how you measure it if the Live CPU display reaches 100% you have a big problem...
It matters how you measure it because measurement A) can be correct, and measurement B) can be wrong. As is in the case with Live's CPU meter.
Ingonator wrote:FWIW i also got Cubase 8 and many plugins do use sklightly less CPU there
It is known that Live is the most CPU hungry host. So why are you doing your measurements inside it?

Karten wrote:Well, I still use Pro-53 and FM7 which use under 1% of my i7.
Try using Pro-53 with one of those oversampling wrappers. Of all the synths I tried with that, the Pro-53 and SQ80L were the two that were helped the most. Both sounded smoother and warmer.

toothnclaw wrote:
EnGee wrote:

Etc.

I'm not after strict measurement. Relative measurement can also be useful. You can use the task manager or Reaper to tell us. After all we don't have the same cpu and setup.
So indeed your remarks are useless regarding the criteria of the OP.

Return to “Instruments”