MIDI Trigger Sidechain - Is it possible yet?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, I was wondering if you could use a MIDI trigger to sidechain in Bitwig yet?
Bitwig hasn't gotten groups yet, but is there another way?

Just in case I'm using the wrong terminology, in Ableton you can set the output of a midi channel inside a group to send it's notes to a volumeshaper for example that's on the group channel and sidechain everything in the group using the 1-shot midi option in volumeshaper, it's not a big deal, but it saves some CPU if it's possible!

Note mod for sidechain midi

Been possible is 1.1.0
-Tristan
MacBook Pro|MacOS Sierra|Bitwig Studio 2.0
UA Apollo Twin| EVE SC207 Monitors|ATH M50x|Focal Spirt Pro|Komplete 10|Push

if you want to use volumeshaper do this.
take one midi reciever, then in source look up what you looking for, then volumeshaper after that and take one shoot. you can put it in a container and make a preset of it with volumeshaper pre set to midi trigg 1 shot.

Yes you can use a note mod select a midi source and put a filter device in the Note FX to filter for example for the kick drum (#36 in the drum rack). The you insert a tool in the FX chain and use the mod envelope to reduce the gain. Tadaa you created side chain ducking via midi trigger.
Mac OSX 10.11.2
Safire Pro 14

https://soundcloud.com/kung_vu

Coockie1176ln wrote:if you want to use volumeshaper do this.
take one midi reciever, then in source look up what you looking for, then volumeshaper after that and take one shoot. you can put it in a container and make a preset of it with volumeshaper pre set to midi trigg 1 shot.
Could you elaborate? I tried changing the output of my midi channel to the track I wanted to sidechain and I tried changing the input from the track I wanted to sidechain to the midi channel, I also tried a buss, nothing worked so not sure what to try next.

I think you're looking for the Note Mod device. I made a little screenshot where you should see everything you need:
Note Mod.PNG
1. I use a Note Mod device on the audio track.
2. In the drop down menu for the device note input I can select the note output of the "SC Kick" track
3. I use the envelope on the Note Mod device to modulate the Amplitude parameter on the Tool device.

The envelope is now triggered by the notes coming from the SC Kick track and controlling the volume. But of course you can modulate whatever parameter and device you want, not only volume.
Think it the other way round: You don't send a SC note signal to the envelope but you grab a note signal from somewhere to use it as trigger for the envelope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Okey i will try to show this :)

https://youtu.be/Ec3QrLYU8ps

You are wellcome! Midi retrig from another track in bitwig using volumeshaper :)

Nauree wrote:Hey, I was wondering if you could use a MIDI trigger to sidechain in Bitwig yet?
Bitwig hasn't gotten groups yet, but is there another way?

Just in case I'm using the wrong terminology, in Ableton you can set the output of a midi channel inside a group to send it's notes to a volumeshaper for example that's on the group channel and sidechain everything in the group using the 1-shot midi option in volumeshaper, it's not a big deal, but it saves some CPU if it's possible!
will be the same in BWS 1.2, u can add MIDI trigger track directly to the group one

which can trigger something inside it using a note mod
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Coockie1176ln wrote:https://youtu.be/Ec3QrLYU8ps

You are wellcome! Midi retrig from another track in bitwig using volumeshaper :)
Thank you so much fellow scandinavian, didn't even know that note reciever was a thing, now I feel like a dummie

Return to “Bitwig”