How do you make music with summer heat & AC noise?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't have an AC...

Probably a good thing as well.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Jace-BeOS wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:In Germany most people don't have AC (in their apartement or house). If it's too hot, they go to the next lake instead of making music!
i didn't know that Germany commonly doesn't have AC in homes. Is the climate generally cooler?

i hate where i live. There's nothing to do here, and i have no friends locally. And no money to travel.
Seems to getting hotter and hotter here during sommer. But not really temperatures an AC would be indispensable.

No one I know has AC (in private locations) here - except of course shopping malls and a lot of company buildings. I don't like AC at all, best way to catch a cold in summer. :( And then there is the special German Angst of "Zugluft". :D (=draft/draught)

Considering the noise issue, I have closed cans (Beyerdynamic DT770), they block any noise from outside (construction sites and stuff) and are exceptional comfortable.

Average maximum temperature (2001 to 2014) is here in Germany in July 18.4°C (65.1° F) so air conditioners are not so often used and needed. I don't know about private people using an AC and so most of us don't have similar problems with AC noise and we can make music the whole summer ;)
Maybe that things will change in the future (we had also a very hot summer this year) because of the climate change.

If it's very hot, there is only a bit more noise because of the PC cooling fans. But there are some good apps like Speedfan which can help to bring this noise to a limit.

4damind wrote:Average maximum temperature (2001 to 2014) is here in Germany in July 18.4°C (65.1° F) so air conditioners are not so often used and needed.
I'm jealous. We have an average of 89°F (32.1°C) here in July in St. Louis (the average low at night is 70°F). I can't stand heat and humidity. It's an expensive month for electric bills.

The AC unit is right outside the window of the room where I make music. (And for winter, the furnace is in the basement right below that room, but it's not so loud.) It doesn't matter though, since my wife's aquarium is in there too, so there's loud splashing from the filter almost all the time (except right after a water change, then it's a quiet splashing and a hum).

I just don't record acoustic stuff in there. I go upstairs, turn off the AC for a few minutes if it's not terribly hot, make my recording with my Zoom H4, and take it back down to process it. I don't do that often though (usually it's for hand drum parts). Aside from that, I'm just used to the noise and it's not that bad through headphones.

foosnark wrote:
4damind wrote:Average maximum temperature (2001 to 2014) is here in Germany in July 18.4°C (65.1° F) so air conditioners are not so often used and needed.
I'm jealous. We have an average of 89°F (32.1°C) here in July in St. Louis (the average low at night is 70°F). I can't stand heat and humidity. It's an expensive month for electric bills..
We had this summer some days with near 40°C (104°F) which was for us a bit unaccustomed temperature and I saw a lot people buying a fan :hihi:
If this will be the normality in the future a lot of things will change (also that we see here in Germany more and more ACs). But this time the average temperature is (fortunately) not so high...

4damind wrote:
foosnark wrote:
I'm jealous. We have an average of 89°F (32.1°C) here in July in St. Louis (the average low at night is 70°F). I can't stand heat and humidity. It's an expensive month for electric bills..
We had this summer some days with near 40°C (104°F) which was for us a bit unaccustomed temperature and I saw a lot people buying a fan :hihi:
If this will be the normality in the future a lot of things will change (also that we see here in Germany more and more ACs). But this time the average temperature is (fortunately) not so high...
We really had an exceptional hot summer this year, especially in South Germany!

But it's not because of the (human made) climate change, it's because of the exceptional strong El-Niño which started to change the whole world climate!

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/weltspiegel/ ... 99536.html

These changes because of El-Niño weaken the development of low pressure areas in the Atlantic (especially of the Iceland low pressure area), so we had more continental climate (and more high pressure areas) this season. And it's the cause why the hurricane season was exceptionally weak so far in the United States! (But the typhoon season in the Pacific Ocean was much stronger than usual!)

That said, it's always good to improve the environment protection, no matter whether it's a natural weather change or not.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure we won't need AC in the summer next year, should be quite average again!

Will be interesting if we get a cold winter 2015/2016 because of the El-Niño (and the negative NAO)!

i have the same problem. if it's too hot, i can't work. and even when i'm not working, sometimes i need to turn off the AC because the sound gives me headaches are ringing ears.
Download & play soothing music: https://soundcloud.com/wait_codec

This was my three step process to dealing with these issues.

1. Buy a house with a basement that doesn't leak. Basements stay much cooler in the summer.

2. Fill it with large amounts of fiberglass to reduce the horrible room noise as much as possible.

3. Get used to the smell.

It has only taken me 20 years to accomplish this. :)

Jace-BeOS wrote: How do you stay productive in summers (ARE you productive)?
?
Nude.

4damind wrote:Average maximum temperature (2001 to 2014) is here in Germany in July 18.4°C (65.1° F)
:lol:

God, I could only dream of those conditions. It's so hot here 10 months of the year (used to be 7/8 months, global warming is here) it averages about 90f. MANY times of the year it's 100 or more. Several times of the year it's 110 or more. I'd slit my wrists, but we all know that doesn't work.

Sorry, forgot. It's no biggie to use air in my house. It's central (like 99% of A/C's around here) and though it's not totally quiet, it's no big. The reason I personally can't make music when it's so hot is not the A/C, but the stuffiness of the baking oven pounding on the house and even rendering the a/c nearly useless. Ceiling fans? Can haz. Does it matter? maybe a tiny bit.

i'd take your situation over mine, any day :shrug: i can't get much done due to heat without a.c

my solution is to be up between 5 & 6 am, which gives a good few hours before things become unbearable. perhaps you could try the same i.e work outside of the hottest hours, with a.c off or at a minimum

also, how about using large diameter fans (on low settings) to keep air moving around equipment if it really is in danger of getting too hot

herodotus wrote: 1. Buy a house with a basement that doesn't leak.
Then create world peace, then flap your arms and fly to the moon.

No music this summer. I don't mind the outside AC noise so much, but I have to keep the door to my room open or it gets very hot in there. And when people move inside the house, it's bye-bye focus.

So I just stick to demoing plugins...

bongo_x wrote:
herodotus wrote: 1. Buy a house with a basement that doesn't leak.
Then create world peace, then flap your arms and fly to the moon.
Experience has taught me that the latter two tasks are even more difficult than the former.

But a man can dream, can't he? Even if he is in a body cast.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”