VCF Env Mode switch
Osc Waveform switches

EvilDragon wrote:Changing these parameters produces clicks:

Chorus Mode
Num Voices
HPF
VCF Env Mode switch
Osc Waveform switches
Yes, these are quite obvious, as they are not continuous parameters in the first place. But I think this is not what jbuonacc meant. His problems seems more like the audio engine not coping with the CPU load caused somehow by moving a slider on his machine. That's why I would like to hear some more details from him.

Cheers,
Martin

Would be cool if you could somehow deal with those clicks, some crossfading?

wow, this is really odd, but i think i figured it out.

to test it out a bit more i cleared all other tracks, just one track with PG8X and another audio track set to 'resample' the main outs to try to capture audio of what's happening. i had the buffer set at 192, which is actually higher than i usually use. bumped it up to 256 just to be sure that wasn't it. i'm on a c.2010 quad-core pc, CPU for the preset 'arcostring' sustained is roughly 12%.

the first thing i noticed is that this crackling doesn't appear on the recording. ?! sort of the opposite of 'ghosts' showing up in photos, and crackling when controlling different parameters didn't show up in the recorded audio. weird.

i noticed that once i mapped some parameters to my APC40mkII that they no longer exhibited this crackling behavior when they 'took focus' from another parameter. so, i mapped some of the filter controls to the APC and could control it from that or on-screen with the mouse with no crackling once the were assigned. still crackling once i moved to another slider on-screen with the mouse.

then i figured out what's happening. the APC 'auto-assigns' one of its 8 encoders to whichever the last used parameter is, if there are any of the 8 'un-assigned'. it continually scans for this and updates. this is what's causing the crackling. once i assigned eight parameters to 'fill up' the encoders there was no crackling when using the mouse on un-mapped parameters. i don't think i've ever noticed this with any other plug-ins (??), not sure if there's anything that can be done about it. i don't think i would notice it if/once i create a mapped Instrument preset for it in Live, but i rarely get around to doing that and am always starting from scratch.

Hi martin
first of all great sounding and inspiring synth my kudos for it.. i am using the mac version and some of the banks & patches fxb format which i downloaded from kvr is not loading in the synth. only PG8xbank format is working. how to i convert for example kujashi fxb bank to PG8xbank ?..

new version still crashes Reaper here when midi-learning. the only version with the new GUI that works fine for me is the one from April: PG8X-2015-04-26.dll
in any case no biggie. might be a system specific issue. although it is the only plugin I have that crashes when using midi-learn.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
In the presets folder List.txt the usual link (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e5oop1vf8vpl ... eezxa?dl=0 (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e5oop1vf8vpl0fn/AAAFoEEc8Pq6BTYMzDmVeezxa?dl=0)) mentioned files "JX10BNK0.SYX", "JX10BNK1.SYX", "JX10BNK2.SYX" and "JX10BNK3.SYX", but I can not find. Where do I download it?, because I only see the files JX8PBNK.SYX, thanks.

PD: sorry for my English

sthech wrote:In the presets folder List.txt the usual link (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e5oop1vf8vpl ... eezxa?dl=0) mentioned files "JX10BNK0.SYX", "JX10BNK1.SYX", "JX10BNK2.SYX" and "JX10BNK3.SYX", but I can not find. Where do I download it?, because I only see the files JX8PBNK.SYX, thanks.

PD: sorry for my English
Hi there, sorry for the confusion. I just dumped some files into the Preset folder. I did not copy over the JX10 files, as they did not load properly (as they are for the JX10 rather than the JX8P). I did not notice that they were mentioned in the List.txt file.

Cheers,
Martin

olikana wrote:new version still crashes Reaper here when midi-learning. the only version with the new GUI that works fine for me is the one from April: PG8X-2015-04-26.dll
in any case no biggie. might be a system specific issue. although it is the only plugin I have that crashes when using midi-learn.
Could you, please, give me some more information in which circumstances the plugin crashes. What exactly are you trying to do (i.e. which parameter, and which CC). I assume you are talking about the plugin's Midi Learn, and not reapers Learn function.

Cheers,
Martin

I'm using PG8X_2015-07-26 in Reaper 4.78, Windows7 32bit and midi learn seems to work just fine with my axiom 49 and homebuilt arduino controller on a single patch. The only issue I have is changing to a different patch after midi learn, then using a controller, the display wigs out and shows a bunch of letters/numbers and the about screen will pop up sometimes - wierd. If I then try to midi learn on the new patch, Reaper will crash. Would be nice if midi learn were global, unless I missed something(edit: ok, just saw the make default button).

So it looks like if I use the "Make Default" button, I don't get the weird behavior. Using the Write/Close button will lead to the crash. Its only when the slider has no assignment that the crash occurs. Used CC#74 for Filter Cutoff for this testing. Hope this helps.

Is there some way to have PG8X-64 automatically load a bank on bootup? The extra step to manually load a bank is not the end of the world, but compared to i.e. Tyrell, it's nice to load up the VST and immediately start scrolling through your patches.

Besides that, I gotta say I'm really digging it. I was actually not a huge fan of the JX sound previously... I owned an MKS-70, didn't like it much, and sold it. I had been a much bigger fan of the MKS-80 and Alpha Juno, but PG8X probably gets closest out of any plugin to capturing that mid-80's Roland sound, and as I've spent time with it, realized that the JX engine is capable of many of the same things I like about the MKS-80 and Alpha Juno...it just takes a slightly different routes to get there due to differences in architecture.

So now PG8x has made me consider re-buying a JX-8p or MKS-70. To me, the idea of having a plugin and hardware which load the same sysex patches is really attractive for workflow purposes. There are simply some aspects of production for which software is naturally more practical, and some aspects for which hardware is more practical, and being able to swap patches back and forth is a great asset.

Depending on the DAW you use, you could make a track template that loads the plugin with a certain bank already.

jgnam wrote:To me, the idea of having a plugin and hardware which load the same sysex patches is really attractive for workflow purposes. There are simply some aspects of production for which software is naturally more practical, and some aspects for which hardware is more practical, and being able to swap patches back and forth is a great asset.
Yes it is the ideal way to integrate hardware and software.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

JackOnan wrote:I'm using PG8X_2015-07-26 in Reaper 4.78, Windows7 32bit and midi learn seems to work just fine with my axiom 49 and homebuilt arduino controller on a single patch. The only issue I have is changing to a different patch after midi learn, then using a controller, the display wigs out and shows a bunch of letters/numbers and the about screen will pop up sometimes - wierd. If I then try to midi learn on the new patch, Reaper will crash. Would be nice if midi learn were global, unless I missed something(edit: ok, just saw the make default button).

So it looks like if I use the "Make Default" button, I don't get the weird behavior. Using the Write/Close button will lead to the crash. Its only when the slider has no assignment that the crash occurs. Used CC#74 for Filter Cutoff for this testing. Hope this helps.
I am still investigating the problem. I can reproduce it, but have not yet found the reason for that behaviour.

Cheers,
Martin

jgnam wrote:Is there some way to have PG8X-64 automatically load a bank on bootup? The extra step to manually load a bank is not the end of the world, but compared to i.e. Tyrell, it's nice to load up the VST and immediately start scrolling through your patches.
It might not work yet (needs more testing), but there is a line in the pg8x.ini file, where you can specify a default bank. Once finished and tested, I will document all these features.

Cheers,
Martin

Return to “Instruments”