Can't Move Cubase User Presets into New Computer

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi I am running Cubase 8 Pro on Windows 8.1, Intel 7.

I have installed Cubase onto my new computer and tried to import my instrument presets from my old but they are not showing up on any of my instruments on the new computer. I tried putting them into my users/Andy/appdata/documents/vst3 folder and even my other documents vst3 folder to no avail, please help! The Steinberg support is spotty at best, at least in my experience.
Ha ha suck it!

Not a Cubase user, but I know many of my plugins expect presets to be in very specific places, often within sub folders in either the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders.

I have come to the conclusion that once you save something in a Steinberg product it goes to a special place that only 3 people have ever known about.

They call it Dark Storage.

It exists, but nobody can prove it exists.

I haven't given it too much thought, but could you not load up all your presets into a project on your old computer, then save that project with everything active, re-open that project in the new computer and re-save them all.

If we're talking 20-30 presets it's a doable thing, hope it's not 100's!
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:I haven't given it too much thought, but could you not load up all your presets into a project on your old computer, then save that project with everything active, re-open that project in the new computer and re-save them all.

If we're talking 20-30 presets it's a doable thing, hope it's not 100's!

I wish it were that easy. This is not looking good.
Ha ha suck it!

Have you tried to save a preset with an unusual name and then make an explorer search for it? It should be in the place where Cubase expect to find all the presets.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

This only works for vst3 presets, and is a bit long-winded...
Make sure all your vst3 presets are in your [My Documents]\VST3 Presets folder.

1) Open a plugin
2) Try to open a preset using the vst3 system in the plugin toolbar
3) At the bottom of Cubase's file selector there is an icon - hover over it and you should see a tooltip saying " Set up window layout"
4) Click the icon and then select "Filter" and then "Location Tree"
5) the window will expand showing a browser-style section.
6) You should see at the top left corner the Location Tree, with some checkboxes.
7) Uncheck ALL the check boxes - a message box pops up - select "Keep"
8) Now re-check all the check boxes

Do this for every plugin (yikes!). You should see all your presets. If you don't - well I tried!

Edit:
The guy there with the sunglasses is supposed to be item 8!

Doesn't work, but thanks so much for trying. I guess this is a more widespread and apparently unsolvable problem than I could have dreamed.
Ha ha suck it!

Have you rescanned the folder locations in Media Bay? I have to do that (on OS X) when moving my user presets into a fresh install of Cubase.

Hi, that's why I use some migration program (acronis true image works perfectly), takes everything across. Even Microsoft's migration program is better than nothing imho.

Anyway, as others have mentioned the issue is that different plugins put stuff all over the place.
how many plugins do you need the presets for?
and are these presets you created or factory presets? If it is factory a reinstall of the plugins should fix that no?
good luck
rsp
sound sculptist

Cubase is the worst daw I own for what concerns preferences/shortcuts/presets management. So, do you want to reinstall the OS or move to another computer? well think it again if you are a Cubase user.

how is it possible that in 2015 we don't have an open/save dialog for preferences/shortcuts/etc... and instead we have to copy files manually...after checking their web page where they try to explain which file is which...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”