The Blue Screen Of Death

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

I hope somebody can help me over here.

Recently I purchased a dedicated Audio PC for music production. It's a very solid and fast PC that contain 32GB of ram, 256GB SSD main hard drive, 2 other hard drives(1tb and 2tb), Intel i7 4790.

I have it only a few days and always when I'm using Cubase 8 pro after a while the computer crashed and I received the blue screen of death error. Now it's especially happen after open the external VST such as K-Station. I ran a virus check nothing is appear as well as disk check(c). I am using Motu lite for all the midi organization.

My Cubase 8 is original and I installed the latest version of Cubase.

Please advise I am hopeless.

What is the driver/file causing the crash?
That's usually a .sys file reported in the BSOD screen.

I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

jackoo wrote:What is the driver/file causing the crash?
That's usually a .sys file reported in the BSOD screen.
How can I tell who's causing the crash?

Oh dear... is that how the BSOD looks on Win8???
I'm used to the 'text' version of it. It was a lot more informative :(

BrooklynBoy wrote:How can I tell who's causing the crash?
What Windows version do you have?
What is actually written on that BSOD screen?

If you're on Win8, I would bring the `old fashioned` BSOD format back...

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-show-bso ... windows-8/

I have Windows 7 - 64 bit version.

I am just trying to understand how a 3 days system already causing me problems.

Another problem that might be part of the crashed is that always after the blue screen massage appeared the Main OS(ssd) shrinking in a 1 gb. For instance: I had 128 before the blue screen error massage and then right after I had 127gb. That's so weird.

Can you read what the BSOD says?

If the computer restarts too fast, you need to tell it not to restart when a BSOD occcurs.

Go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> System. Click Advanced system settings. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
Untick the "automatically restart" checkbox.

Now, when it happens just note down where the error is coming from or any error codes.
Or better, make a screenshot (with a camera, or whatever)
BrooklynBoy wrote: Another problem that might be part of the crashed is that always after the blue screen massage appeared the Main OS(ssd) shrinking in a 1 gb. For instance: I had 128 before the blue screen error massage and then right after I had 127gb. That's so weird.
It may be that on each error windows writes some recovery information on the disk. That's usually stored under the "System Volume Information", and can be deleted after you've solved your problem. But you need to give yourself access to System Volume Information.

Hi Jackoo,

I will do that as soon as I get back home.

So first of all I will have to solve to blue screen error and then to delete those files?

How can I give myself access to the System Volume Information?

Kindly

BrooklynBoy wrote:So first of all I will have to solve to blue screen error and then to delete those files?
I would recommend so, yes.
BrooklynBoy wrote:How can I give myself access to the System Volume Information?
Umm... It's something like you have to right-click System Volume Information > Properties > Security Tab [Continue with admin privileges] > add your username to the list - and click check names - make sure it finds your username > then click the checkboxes to allow your username full control.

You should then be able to go into the System Volume Information Folder and delete the older stuff that takes too much space. Actually before you delete anything, just check that the space lost (the missing GB) is actually stored there.

Alternatively, you can go to Control Panel > System > System protection tab. There you can control the amount of space windows will use for System Restore files. Find your main SSD Drive, click configure and adjust the slider for how much GB you allow System Restore to use. After you adjust the slider, older system restore files are automatically deleted.

But first, I would write down any information given in the Blue Screen: usually there's an error tag or code given, and a file (usually a driver file ending in .sys) that's catching the error. I think this is your starting point in figuring out what's wrong.

This .sys file could be related to a HDD controller, a graphics driver, or other system file.

Great I will that for sure.

Any chances to find the previous blue errors?
To get the info from before on the computer? Or I just have to wait for the next blue screen?

You could try opening the Windows Event Viewer:
Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer.

On the left look at Event Viewer (local) and see if there any critical events or you may browse the Error type events. But it's possible that you get no meaningful information out of that.

I'd wait for the next blue screen and get some information from that.

BSOD is usually caused by faulty driver or if you are unlucky then by faulty hardware (usually RAM). Download utility called BlueScreenView from here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
With this you can see the contents of all the memory dump files that have been created every time your computer BSODs. By looking at memory dumps you can see more precisely what is causing your computer to BSOD. Also I suggest you run Windows Memory Diagnostic tool or Memtest86+ to check for faulty memory.
No signature here!

Hi there,

I ran a memory check everything seems to be fine with memory.

I got another crash and I attached a picture of the screen right after.

Hopes that's helping you guts to help me :)

Please advise.

I have strong feeling is the Motu device!

http://postimg.org/image/4p1nzanff/

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”